Guide-Clearing Your Farm

Which Method Do You Like Best?

• Total voters

WoShield

Greenhorn
When You Start Stardew Valley, You Will Be Given A Field Full Of Trees, Grass And Rocks. Clearing All Of This "Debris" Will Allow You To Build Useful Farm Buildings, Or Just To Expand Your Crop Fields For More Income. But The Question Is, How Do You Clear Your Farm Efficiently?

I Know About Two Methods For Different Players. The First Way Is More Tedious And Manual, But The Second Costs A Lot Of Gold And Or Resources, And Is Dangerous. I Will Be Discussing Each Method And Explaining Which One Would Work For You.

Method One-Manual Labor
This Method Is Nothing Special. Grab Your Tools And Start Chipping Away At The Debris Gradually. You Shouldn't Try To Remove The Debris All At Once Or Fast, Because This Method Requires A Lot Of Time. You Need A Steel Axe For This Method, Because You Will Encounter Large Logs That You Won't Be Able To Remove Without The Steel Axe. Just Go To Clint's Shop And Upgrade Your Axe To A Steel Axe.

Method Two-Bombing Your Farm
This Method Is Dangerous And Requires A Lot Of Money And Or Resources. This Method Involves Constantly Lighting Bombs To Blow Up The Debris. There Are Three Kinds Of Bombs, Cherry Bombs, Bombs, And Mega Bombs. There Are Three Ways Of Obtaining The Bombs-Crafting, Shopping Or Hunting. Cherry Bombs Require Mining Level 1, 4 Copper Ores, And 1 Coal. Bombs Require Mining Level 6, 4 Iron Ores And 1 Coal. Mega Bombs, However, Are Much More Complex To Craft. They Require Mining Level 8, 4 Gold Ores, 1 Solar Essence And 1 Void Essence. You Will Require Many Bombs To Tear Down The Debris, And Crafting May Not Always Be The Answer. I Prefer To Buy My Bombs From The Dwarf. Here Is The Wiki Page Explaining How To Unlock Them: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Dwarf The Dwarf Will Sell You All The Different Bombs. I Recommend Buying The Mega Bombs, The Best Bomb In The Game For A Reasonable Price. There Is Another Way To Obtain Bombs, Through Hunting. Various Monsters In The Mines And Skull Caverns Will Drop Bombs- But Beware! They Are Hunting You As Well! Once You Have Obtained Bombs, Carefully Lay Them Down Throughout Your Farm And Run Away Quickly Before They Blow You Up! Please Note That The Debris Might Require A Few Bombs To Be Destroyed, And Debris Like Giant Stumps And Logs Will Require A Couple Smacks From Your Axe.

Choosing The Right Method
I Recommend Method One For Fresh Save Files, Whether You Just Started Or Have Spent A Little Time In The Game. I Recommend Method Two For Players Who Have A Lot Of Gold On Their Save, Or Saves That Have Been Played For A While. Remember, These Are Just Recommendations, You Can Choose Whichever Method You Want.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Collecting bombs takes a lot of time, so going hunting to find bombs to blow up the debris around your house... you'll be better off just going manual.

Buying bombs? By the time I have spare money for buying bombs, if I'm going around bombing my farm to get rid of debris... I'm getting rid of a lot more than that. Fencing, paths, etc. This seems like a terrible idea to me.

I'll stick with manual.

The problem is with your initial premise the implication that the farm needs to be cleared all at once, which it certainly doesn't.

You can clear the entire farm, regardless of which one, eventually. However, it doesn't need to happen overnight. It is far more important, in your first couple of seasons at least, to focus more on building infrastructure. Sure, you'll have to do some clearing to make space for that, but far less than what you are implying. It should be a steady and gradual creep over the next few seasons, clearing as necessary between other chores like mine diving or grinding important skills.

Quite bluntly, by the time you could afford the second option, the farm should already be cleared, obviating the question entirely.

rippytrippy

Planter
i like method one, because it's more fun and less dangerous ig :P

i actually did that recently with my insanely overgrown forest, spent 2 days just chopping down tiny trees and making sure no new trees will start to grow
it looks nice now :D

Squigglyruth

Planter
I don't normally clear the whole farm in Year 1 - I like letting oak trees grow wild in some patches until I need the space. I have never even considered bombing to clear space! I have better things to do with my bombs early game, and late game my farm is clear anyway.

Farminer

Newcomer
Squigglyruth wrote "I like letting oak trees grow wild in some patches until I need the space. "

Absolutely! I keep all the three types of trees - they provide lots of seeds for lots of field snacks and / or re-planting and you don't need anywhere near that much area for farming in the first year. You'll need to start clearing only once you're rich enough / lucky enough to start getting fruit seeds (apple, orange, etc). And the Oak resin from oak, Maple syrup from maples and Pine tar from the pines all provide good income once you have a tapper apart from being needed in bundles. Also, as they re-grow, they provide you with more wood for all those buildings and stuff. Lastly, and totally irrelevant to the game, it's 'green cover'.
The only thing you need to do is clear enough area for your first basic farm (I always start just in front of the house) AND to allow you free access (i.e., create a path) to any part of your farm and the exits.

Lew Zealand

Helper
All I have ever used in any of my saves is Method 1. Because by the time I have the excess resources to make Method 2 economically viable, I could not care less about what is growing on my Farm other than a decent patch of Sprinklered crops to Jar or Keg and a big patch of grass to keep the Dinosaurs and Pigs happy.

Perhaps Bombing is useful for clearing for Farm Planning but I have yet to design an actual good looking Farm like you'll see in the Farm Showcase section here. Mostly because it would have all the charm and style of a cubical Minecraft dirt house. I'd love to be creative, I'm just not.

With a Greenhouse and the new area, clearing out a little Farm debris is only necessary after Winter if it's in my way when attempting to exit the Farm at top speed to escape my spouse&kids and other worldly duties. That inevitably leaves me with the Parrots and seeing as my Sling is somehow inadequate for picking those extortionists outta the sky, sometimes you'll see me commandingly lofting about my Return Sceptre, saying "meh, home I guess..."

Maybe I shoulda waited to get the Zuzu City Sceptre. Or Sebastian.

Bubbub

Greenhorn
Fun fact about my farm: I remember one time I was lazy so instead of clearing my feild when a new year began and hoeing it with manual labour, I thought, bombs make hoed land and clear debris...*proceeds to blow up farm*

Xx_Aikra_xX

Tiller
When You Start Stardew Valley, You Will Be Given A Field Full Of Trees, Grass And Rocks. Clearing All Of This "Debris" Will Allow You To Build Useful Farm Buildings, Or Just To Expand Your Crop Fields For More Income. But The Question Is, How Do You Clear Your Farm Efficiently?

I Know About Two Methods For Different Players. The First Way Is More Tedious And Manual, But The Second Costs A Lot Of Gold And Or Resources, And Is Dangerous. I Will Be Discussing Each Method And Explaining Which One Would Work For You.

Method One-Manual Labor
This Method Is Nothing Special. Grab Your Tools And Start Chipping Away At The Debris Gradually. You Shouldn't Try To Remove The Debris All At Once Or Fast, Because This Method Requires A Lot Of Time. You Need A Steel Axe For This Method, Because You Will Encounter Large Logs That You Won't Be Able To Remove Without The Steel Axe. Just Go To Clint's Shop And Upgrade Your Axe To A Steel Axe.

Method Two-Bombing Your Farm
This Method Is Dangerous And Requires A Lot Of Money And Or Resources. This Method Involves Constantly Lighting Bombs To Blow Up The Debris. There Are Three Kinds Of Bombs, Cherry Bombs, Bombs, And Mega Bombs. There Are Three Ways Of Obtaining The Bombs-Crafting, Shopping Or Hunting. Cherry Bombs Require Mining Level 1, 4 Copper Ores, And 1 Coal. Bombs Require Mining Level 6, 4 Iron Ores And 1 Coal. Mega Bombs, However, Are Much More Complex To Craft. They Require Mining Level 8, 4 Gold Ores, 1 Solar Essence And 1 Void Essence. You Will Require Many Bombs To Tear Down The Debris, And Crafting May Not Always Be The Answer. I Prefer To Buy My Bombs From The Dwarf. Here Is The Wiki Page Explaining How To Unlock Them: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Dwarf The Dwarf Will Sell You All The Different Bombs. I Recommend Buying The Mega Bombs, The Best Bomb In The Game For A Reasonable Price. There Is Another Way To Obtain Bombs, Through Hunting. Various Monsters In The Mines And Skull Caverns Will Drop Bombs- But Beware! They Are Hunting You As Well! Once You Have Obtained Bombs, Carefully Lay Them Down Throughout Your Farm And Run Away Quickly Before They Blow You Up! Please Note That The Debris Might Require A Few Bombs To Be Destroyed, And Debris Like Giant Stumps And Logs Will Require A Couple Smacks From Your Axe.

Choosing The Right Method
I Recommend Method One For Fresh Save Files, Whether You Just Started Or Have Spent A Little Time In The Game. I Recommend Method Two For Players Who Have A Lot Of Gold On Their Save, Or Saves That Have Been Played For A While. Remember, These Are Just Recommendations, You Can Choose Whichever Method You Want.
If you have the money to buy bombs, why is your farm a mess still?

Daniiiiii

Sodbuster
Method one is the best method in my opinion! This method is just relaxing, enjoyable, and fun. Watching all the leaves fall when you chop down a tree into onto the ground or even a pond/lake is amazing. Even seeing the butterflies spawning once you hit the tree is nice to look at it!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'll echo Tom, Daniiiiii, Swartzski, and others here and mention that I just cleared and rearranged almost everything on my Beach Farm yesterday and with an Iridium Axe, there's just no need for Bombs. Early in the game Bombs are expensive and later on you can get a pretty good Axe. The lack of control over the extent of the Bombs seems to be making more problems than are solved. OK, you can put the time in to arrange and predict what's gonna be massacred by your saturation bombing campaign, but who has time for that? Bombs are for Mayhem! And arranging and predicting is, well, effort. And you've got a Farm to ignore, er-- run!

And frankly, mayhem is best reserved for the Mines and Skull Cavern, not the restful space of your Farm. How many Prismatic Shards or Iridium Ore have you found on your Farm, eh? Bombs are for mass collection of lovely shiny things! Channel your inner @Tom here and become One with the Farm chopping. Emphasis on the One: one tree a day.

OK maybe half, you can get to that stump tomorrow, it's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Tom
It takes a while, but I go for your slow but steady approach. Debris can be valuble. The big logs take a while but it's not complicated. And the more grass you have, the better.

Reactions: Tom