Giant Crop

Widget

Sodbuster
Does anyone else have a hard time cutting down a giant crop? I have my first one and keep looking at it as I pass by doing other things.
I like to leave them for a season or two, but they take up space that I have allocated for planting, so eventually I take an axe to 'em. It's kind of entertaining to watch them fall apart into a lot of small crops, and they aren't all that rare. I know that I can set it up to happen again.

Boo1972

Farmer
Yeah, me too! It’s harder late game now that I don’t have to worry about money. The giant pumpkins especially make my heart beat with joy.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I finally smashed it. It's one day to the next planting season and I needed the room. I saw someone had created a special place on their farm JUST for giant crops so I think I'm going to do that on my farm.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
i always immediately break mine, but it really does feel special having them that maybe i should try to keep them around more often

Lew Zealand

Helper
IIRC the giant crop is rare but if you leave your 3x3 patches of those crops alone, they will turn into giant crops.......eventually-- maybe. Hopefully before the end of the season when you lose the crop. I'm wayyy too impatient for that so no giant crops for me yet. I really need to make more iridium sprinklers to increase the number of 3x3 patches to ever have a chance as I usually plant outside with quality sprinklers.

Boo1972

Farmer
IIRC the giant crop is rare but if you leave your 3x3 patches of those crops alone, they will turn into giant crops.......eventually-- maybe. Hopefully before the end of the season when you lose the crop. I'm wayyy too impatient for that so no giant crops for me yet. I really need to make more iridium sprinklers to increase the number of 3x3 patches to ever have a chance as I usually plant outside with quality sprinklers.
This may not be helpful depending on where you are in the game but Krobus sells 1iridium sprinkler every Friday for 10,000g. That’s how I got most of mine

Rhiannon

Farmer
I finally busted up the cauliflower. Next season it was melons and I got one of those too. I finally decided to create a special place in my farm just to plant those crops. I stole the design from someone here who had some bee hives all lined up with two 3x3 plots above them.

Quick question: will the giant crop last indefinitely?

Sounny

Rancher
Does anyone else have a hard time cutting down a giant crop? I have my first one and keep looking at it as I pass by doing other things.
If it's a standard farm, I keep one of each. I love looking at them, especially in winter.

Rhiannon

Farmer
I will be keeping two (hopefully different ones). The area above the beehives will be giant crops eventually and I'll leave them for decoration. I hesitated to post this because I'm FAR from being happy with my farm layout but it's better than the Riverland farm that didn't work for me at all.

Rhiannon_6-14-2020_62335494.png

Rhiannon

Farmer
I assume you've made sure that you have 3 plants together (which is why I did 3x3 areas). I ended up with a giant pumpkin in my designated area two seasons after that picture was taken. It looks pretty cool during the winter with snow all around.

It is somewhat random. I plant huge patches of melon and pumpkins (think 10x15 at least) and I don’t always get a giant crop. But, sometimes I get 2!
That may be why I never see them. I plant my crops pre-sprinkler. So by time I can craft them, I'm already set. I think I need to go au naturel and do a big field of crops.

Boo1972

Farmer
That may be why I never see them. I plant my crops pre-sprinkler. So by time I can craft them, I'm already set. I think I need to go au naturel and do a big field of crops.
I actually use iridium sprinklers, so the 10x15 crop square has 6 sprinklers (and would really be 144 crops) My pumpkin patches can be bigger than that though, just because.

I actually use iridium sprinklers, so the 10x15 crop square has 6 sprinklers (and would really be 144 crops) My pumpkin patches can be bigger than that though, just because.
Interesting, then I should probably mess with my iridium set up and see what happens. I'd like to see a giant crop before I pass away. :P

Rhiannon

Farmer
Here is my setup for getting giant crops. First is the small area by the beehives. 3x3. I plan to make those permanent (the pumpkin has been there since the previous fall). Then up above in my main field, you can see that in the middle, there are tons of opportunities to get giant crops. That happened 3 or 4 times last year. I chopped them down because I needed the planting space but it was cool to see (and hopefully I'm WAY away from death!).

With this setup, I don't have to water or pick my crops, saving time for my other chores.

Rhiannon_6-27-2020_43794588.png

I have a similar setup with the main crops area. Funny thing, now I know why I don't ever see big crops. I always plant crops that give multiple yields. Like starwderries, blueberries and ancient fruit. Maybe I need to alternate tactics at some point and make room for varying crops.