General Questions

1. Who is Master Qi, and where can I find him?
2. How do I get the key to the sewers?
3. Is there any way to save your progress in the Skull Cavern (the caves in Calico Desert)?

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Trying to give useful advice without spoilers.

1: Mister Qi a mysterious blue guy who is found by doing a series of mystery quests after you get your first letter from him. They start in the tunnel at the end of the bus stop location (If you haven't seen it, go left up the road from the broken down bus). Each one gives you the instructions for the next, and they're all pretty self evident except the very last one (I had to look up the answer, and once I did, I facepalmed because I thought it should have been obvious). This will let you in the room at the back of Sandy's shop, where he will introduce himself and you'll learn more. He'll recur in at least two other places.
2: Your first hint about this is a scene by the sewer door with the 2 town kids. That will tell you who has the key. Complete a certain percentage of the activities that person has asked you to do anyhow in the game, and they will give you the key.
3: Not without using mods. It's intended to require using lots of stairs and grit and luck to get to 100.

Thanks.
My current method for the Skull Cavern is to use bombs to reveal the next ladder. Plus, you get plenty of stones/ore/geodes without using up your energy as well.

I first met Qi at level 100 of the skull cavern. Next time I met him in the back room of Sandy's, after running all over with shells and beets and vague notes and multiple bus trips, he acted like he never even met me before! The audacity!
Gunther will give you the rusty key when you've made enough donations to the museum. One each of every gem, mineral, and artifact. I always pop into the museum after I have Clint bust a batch of geodes.
There are mods to put elevators in skull cavern, but the real trick is jade. Replicate in crystalariums and swap the desert trader on Sundays for stairs.

Okay, now I’m thoroughly confused. (Spoiler warning for the next paragraph(s). Also, I’m currently at Day 22, Spring, Year 5.)
Mr. Qi sent me a letter, saying he had tons of coins for me, if I made it to level 25 in the skull caverns. I completed that quest, and he sent me money in the mail the next morning.
I followed @LenoraRose‘s advice by checking the end of the tunnel, but it’s empty. Do I need to wait for another letter?

Elenna101

Farmer
Okay, now I’m thoroughly confused. (Spoiler warning for the next paragraph(s). Also, I’m currently at Day 22, Spring, Year 5.)
Mr. Qi sent me a letter, saying he had tons of coins for me, if I made it to level 25 in the skull caverns. I completed that quest, and he sent me money in the mail the next morning.
I followed @LenoraRose‘s advice by checking the end of the tunnel, but it’s empty. Do I need to wait for another letter?
That's unrelated to the thing LenoraRose was talking about (there's a few different places you meet Mr Qi). As PoppyForPenny said, try checking the wall of the tunnel. :)

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I forgot he sends the level 25 letter (I thought it was Marlon). There's a different letter he sends -- possibly only if you haven't poked in the tunnel by yourself and started the sequence. If you're in year 5, you may even have it. You can look back through your letter collection, I don't think it turns into an official "quest" until you finish the tunnel.

And as Poppy for Penny implies, it's technically possible to finish all his mining quests and even start his Ginger Island content before you bother to access the back room, so his events can end up totally out of order.

You need to get in that back room to achieve crafting perfection as you can only acquire one crafting recipe after you get an item only available there. And a lot of people like it for its own sake, but it is a nonessential part.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I wouldn't say it requires lots of stairs to get to 100 - I can consistently do it with minimal (<5 probably) stairs used, and plenty of other people do it better than me. But stairs will of course reduce the skill, practice, and equipment needed.
I've never gotten past 40 or 45 without an extreme lot of luck with holes showing up and a bunch of stairs (and even with that I did end up adding the elevator mod, though I used the honour system and started from floor 1 to finish the late game "hungry" quest.) I use lots of bombs but still...

Elenna101

Farmer
I forgot he sends the level 25 letter (I thought it was Marlon). There's a different letter he sends -- possibly only if you haven't poked in the tunnel by yourself and started the sequence. If you're in year 5, you may even have it. You can look back through your letter collection, I don't think it turns into an official "quest" until you finish the tunnel.
I believe it's one of the secret notes, not a letter, and it pretty much just alludes to there being a secret in the tunnel.

I found the box in the tunnel, and am working on my second quest. Thanks for all your help!
Query: do you think it would be a good idea to just start an ‘Oddly Specific Questions’ thread, so that people can put their non-generic questions there?

Hill Myna

Farmer
Query: do you think it would be a good idea to just start an ‘Oddly Specific Questions’ thread, so that people can put their non-generic questions there?
No, I think it's best that everyone starts their own thread if they have questions. That way you can read through UserNameHere's thread knowing that they will be the one asking the questions, and everyone else will be either answering or asking related questions.

And I don't really think that Stardew caters well to "non-generic" or "specific" questions. As you can see in this thread, the answer to "Who is Mr. Qi?" = "There are multiple ways of meeting him"!

That's not my definition of a specific question. :)
I use lots of bombs
How many are you talking about here? 25? 50? 100+?

I think I'd typically fit into the 100+ category because I refuse to be clever... ;D

Also, thank you @Elenna101 for the kind words; I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Ereo

Helper
There's a book at the library that will tell you what goblins like.

you can try fishing near the goblin. Maybe you'll find something...

it's void mayo