Solved [FIXED] Jade and Ruby disappearing entirely from my inventory

OMORI

Greenhorn
I normally run the game with mods, but I've ran it vanilla just to check if this bug still persists and it still does even without any mods so I'm posting it here to seek help. :sweat: My game was working fine and still showed jades and rubies in my inventory after picking them up from the Crystalarium, mining, etc. While I was trying to do the Bird Gem Puzzle in Ginger Island where the Red Gem Bird drops a ruby and you're supposed to bring it to one of the pedestals, I noticed that the ruby just didn't show up on my inventory at all. It gave me the notification on the bottom left that I picked it up, yet it is nowhere to be seen in my inventory. Afterwards, I went to accept one of the NPC Help Requests from Emily, who needed 1 Topaz, 1 Amethyst, 1 Ruby, 1 Emerald and 1 Jade. I went to my storage to pick up said gemstones for the quest and while I could pick up the topaz, amethyst and emerald, my rubies and my jades in my storage chest just disappeared the moment I transferred them to my inventory. This is confusing to me because I could see them in my chest, but once bringing them over to my inventory they just cease to exist. The other gemstones work fine for me as far as I know, I'm only having issue with these two gemstones disappearing from my inventory. Even when I go mining or retrieve them from the Crystalarium, they just simply don't show up in my inventory and I cannot figure out why.

I've tried re-installing the game, running it vanilla with no mods to no avail. These two just do not show up in my inventory at all. I thought they were invisible at first, but it's not the case as I could fill up my inventory with other items despite supposedly picking up the ruby or jade. Strangely, my rubies and jades and my other gemstones show up perfectly fine on my other save files, both solo and co-op, so I have no idea why it seems to be bugged on only my main save file. I have sent a copy of my save file to my partner to see if my save file is bugged for him as well, and it is as he can't pick up any ruby or jade. I would appreciate any help, I'm extremely frustrated and I don't know what to do, I just want to play my game. :cry: I've attached a copy of my main save file info down below, I don't know if it'll help.

Attachments

Hi, just a heads up, but the main savefile is the larger one with the same name as the folder it's in.
But, the SaveGameInfo does have some useful personal info. As it is just the "player" section of the main save with a couple small changes.

Anyway, I can see the issue is that you were previously using a mod that increased the backpack size. But, now that it's uninstalled; the gems & a few other items are hidden off-screen. Since, in the vanilla game you can only have a maximum of 36 different items in a backpack.

Edit: Just to elaborate further. I see you have a stack of Ruby & Jade already in your inventory. But, they're outside the first 36 slots. This is why you can pick them up, but they disappear. And, why filling up your vanilla inventory doesn't seem to show anything is wrong.

You'd either need to reinstall the backpack mod you were using; or send me the full save. And, I can move things around for you.

OMORI

Greenhorn
Hi, just a heads up, but the main savefile is the larger one with the same name as the folder it's in.
But, the SaveGameInfo does have some useful personal info. As it is just the "player" section of the main save with a couple small changes.

Anyway, I can see the issue is that you were previously using a mod that increased the backpack size. But, now that it's uninstalled; the gems & a few other items are hidden off-screen. Since, in the vanilla game you can only have a maximum of 36 different items in a backpack.

Edit: Just to elaborate further. I see you have a stack of Ruby & Jade already in your inventory. But, they're outside the first 36 slots. This is why you can pick them up, but they disappear. And, why filling up your vanilla inventory doesn't seem to show anything is wrong.

You'd either need to reinstall the backpack mod you were using; or send me the full save. And, I can move things around for you.
Oh my gosh thank you so much, this explains a lot, I was so confused :sweat: I must have had the mod installed on my old PC and didn't remember to reinstall it on my new one so it had some items hidden. Is it possible for me to reinstall the backpack mod, clear up the items in my extra inventory space and uninstall it so I pretty much have a clean vanilla inventory again with no hidden items?

No prob!

To be honest; I'm not too familiar with those backpack mods. But yes; that should work once you've cleared out the extra items.
As the extra slots are only being used by SDV's auto-stacking system. Once, there's nothing there; it should default to the regular 36 slots, and prevent this from happening again.

But, feel free to return if you have further issues/questions.

EDIT: Actually, I took a quick second look. You'll also want to edit the backpack part of the save at minimum. As I don't think it'll auto-cleanup itself.

Basic editing guide: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Edit_a_save

Set this back to "36" in your main save.
Code:
<maxItems>48</maxItems>

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Something that may help? Going to the chest with your gems and doing the "add to stack" button. That'll take everything from your out of bound inventory rows and dump them in the chest. Once they're in the chest, you should have no problem pulling them into inventory as it won't put them into the out of bound rows at that point. You don't really even need to reinstall the mod unless there are other things down in those rows that you can't empty with the "add to stack" button.