Fishing help

Sherry

Newcomer
I am having trouble with fishing. I can hook the fish but it falls off before I can reel it in. I am not able to keep the fish in the green area. I am playing on a PS4. Any suggestions?

imnvs

Local Legend
First thing's first, go get a training rod from Willy. The size of the green bar is set by your Fishing skill level, but the training rod sets the size of the bar to what you would have with Fishing 5... no matter your fishing level. This means that when your fishing level is 0 or 1, using that rod makes the size of the bar MUCH larger, making it a lot easier to catch fish. Once you get to Fishing 3 - 5 you want to switch to using a different rod, though.

Boo1972

Farmer
First, you are not alone. I think people ask for help with fishing more than any other game mechanic. You might want to search for some of those threads; a lot of people on the forums are really good writers and their responses are entertaining. I like fishing now and am decent at it now, but it was a struggle. It’s a steep learning curve for most people. My advice:

1. Your fishing bar size increases when you level up in fishing making it easier the more experience you have. So you’ll need to keep practicing. Of course leveling up means catching fish so you’ll need-

2. A training rod. Training rods can be bought for 25g making them the best value in-game. A training rod will increase the size of your bar and you can fish with it until level 5- at level 6 you’re better off buying a fiberglass rod and bait.

3. Buy and eat trout soup. It helps a little which can mean a lot early on. Edit: it’s not useful with the training rod early on so save your money if you’re using the training rod.

4. The fishing mechanic is similar to Geometry Dash, Flappy bird and other games. If you need a break, try a different game. I like Geometry Dash myself.

5. Buy fish at the traveling cart for the community center. There is no shame with this. In fact, before 1.5, I always bought pufferfish from the traveling cart.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Phate4569

Planter
The fishing mechanic is similar to Geometry Dash, Flappy bird and other games.
If you don't understand this reference, don't hold the "reel" button. Just tap it repeatedly until the bar is where you want it.

Elenna101

Farmer
If you don't understand this reference, don't hold the "reel" button. Just tap it repeatedly until the bar is where you want it.
This. Basically, if you hold the button, it'll go up slower at first but then shoot up. Similarly, when you let go it'll go down slower at first and then fall quickly. But if you just tap it, it'll just go up a little, and then fall a little in between taps. If you find the right rhythm, these will balance out and keep the bar in the same place. Then you can tap a little slower or faster to go up or down in a more controlled manner. Definitely takes some practice but eventually it'll become muscle memory. I agree with the recommendation of buying a training rod for the first few levels.

For some of the harder fish it can be useful to hold the button or let go of it for longer periods of time. Also, if the bar is falling quickly, you can click right before it reaches the bottom to stop the momentum and prevent it from bouncing. But that's trickier and you should probably learn the right tapping rhythm first.

If you're still in spring, most of the fish are relatively easy. The town river has only smallmouth bass and sunfish, which are pretty easy but not worth much. The lake is more money but some of the fish are harder.