Solved Fishing EXP Bug on Switch Version?

kn0wmad1c

Greenhorn
Hi all,

Unless the mechanics are different on Switch, I think there could be a leveling bug, at least with fishing.

I built a fish tracker as a min-maxing tool (Link) and tracked the fish I caught on my first day of fishing on the Switch:

fish.png

I used the formulas from the decompiled 1.5 PC code in order to accurately track the XP and Gold gained from each fish. The XP breakdown of the catches are as follows:

Anchovy, Normal Quality, Not Perfect, No Treasure Chest: +13xp
Herring, Gold Quality, Perfect, No Treasure Chest: +40xp
Anchovy, Normal Quality, Not Perfect, No Treasure Chest: +13xp
Sardine, Normal Quality, Not Perfect, No Treasure Chest: +13xp
Trash/Junk: +3xp
Trash/Junk: +3xp
Halibut, Normal Quality, Not Perfect, No Treasure Chest: +19xp

Total: (13 + 40 + 13 + 13 + 3 + 3 + 19) = 104xp.

According to the leveling chart on the wiki and in the game's code, I should have leveled fishing up to Level 1.

However, in the Stats Screen on the pause menu, it still shows me at Level 0, and sleeping didn't trigger any level ups.

So is this a bug? Or are the Switch mechanics different?

Extra info: I fished all of these out of the Beach location on Day 2, immediately after receiving my first rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlaDe

Farmer
Perfect fish upgrades the quality. Xp is calculated from the pre-upgraded quality.

Your Herring calculation should be 14 × 2.4 = 33.6, floored to 33.

Your current xp is 97, 3 short of lvl 1 fishing.

kn0wmad1c

Greenhorn
Perfect fish upgrades the quality. Xp is calculated from the pre-upgraded quality.

I totally missed this in the code, but you're super correct!

It looks like it upgrades gold to iridium and silver to gold. Normal quality is unaffected.

I'll make this adjustment in my fish tracker. Thank you so much!

kn0wmad1c

Greenhorn

Yep, I added the recalculation in the app and it's accurate now. Solved all my problems, @BlaDe. Thanks again!

fish.png