Switch Fishing Bug

Please help!! My game has been fine for well over a year but all of a sudden I can no longer fish! I can cast out fine but whenever the exclamation appears to alert for a fish, nothing happens when I press A. The line just stays in the water, even if I spam/press hard etc. I’ve tried every button on my switch but nothing works - except Y which just cancels the action. My A button works fine for literally EVERYTHING else in the game so it’s nothing to do with the controller. I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing the game TWICE now but nothing works. It’s so frustrating, I just want to complete my community centre :(

Hill Myna

Farmer
Please help!! My game has been fine for well over a year but all of a sudden I can no longer fish!
Hello!

Here’s my experience playing with JoyCons:

ActionAY
Cast the Fishing Rod:NoYes
Cancel the cast:NoYes
Start the mini game after a bite:NoYes
Move the green bar in the mini game:YesYes
Take the fish after the "checking" animation:YesYes

Because of this I simply only use Y for fishing.

Here's what I mean by the "checking" animation:

Note that if you hold A to cancel the "checking" animation, you will do the smallest possible cast with no way of casting it further out. And if you hold Y to cancel the "checking" animation, you get to fill the "distance" bar to your liking. Also, if you hold Y during the animation where you bring in your line and there is a fish/junk at the end, you can altogether skip the "checking" animation.

I can cast out fine but whenever the exclamation appears to alert for a fish, nothing happens when I press A. The line just stays in the water, even if I spam/press hard etc. I’ve tried every button on my switch but nothing works - except Y which just cancels the action.
Pressing Y before you get a bite cancels the cast. Make sure you only press Y immediately after getting a bite.

It’s so frustrating, I just want to complete my community centre :(
If you need help...
...here is a guide on completing the Fish Tank
...and here is a thread about hard fish
...and here is an in-depth discussion about the Fishing mechanics

Hope this helps!

Air Pie

Newcomer
This exact same thing happened to me! Except I'm using a PS4 controller. My X bottom works for everything else except reeling in fish which used to work.
I'm in winter in year 1 and level 7 fishing... So frustrating. I've tried starting a new game and reinstalling my controller.

Have you found something that works or is this really an unfixable (and major) bug? 🙁🙁🙁

Mikan

Greenhorn
Same thing is happening to me right now 😭 whenevee I press the Y button after an exclamation point nothing happens. It's so frustrating since I wanna finish the fish collection

zozoPhD

Greenhorn
I have the same problem on the switch. No matter what I do nothing works. Pressing Y does nothing but cancel the action. I think it might be a bug specific to the switch. Which is a bummer bc I wanna complete the community center :(

rattlebrain

Newcomer
Same problem for me on the switch! Oddly, though, I just started playing again a couple days ago after many months. I started a new game using the rivers farm layout and fishing worked fine there, with the occasional glitch with the A button. Then I opened another new game with the forest farm layout and fishing doesn't work at all on that one!

I see this same bug report from over a year ago - is anyone working on this?