Creator Response Few thoughts and questions

AlexandreNoite

Farmhand
Thoughts:
1) I am seriously thinking in removing the dark shrine epic item from the game "Discard all your friends to complete a revealed bundle (Must discard at least 1)". In the playthrough that this item come into play, one of the players was playing for the first time, and it feels bad to "Sacrifice your friends for a better good" lol. And the game played totally different because of this item, and it become really easy for the rest of the game. Because all we need to do was to give this to the player with less friends, made him sacrifice all, make a friend and repeat...

2) I don't know how but I'm thinking about it, if there's a way for the game to last 2 years without starting to become boring. Because it feels weird to upgrade your tools when the fall is ending and you can't plant anymore. Even if I completed the bundles and grandpa goals, sometimes there's still things to do in the game because I had focused only on these goals. Any ideas?

3) The animals feels really difficult to work with if I'm playing single player because there's too much investment for then to start giving a good return on investment. (Usually, I just go for coop and 2 chickens if my grandpa asks for it, otherwise I focused on crops and change bundles if necessary)

4) Having just one starting tool when playing single player also feels a little weird, because there's 3 grandpa goals related to the mines (upgrade tools, explore the mine and restore the museum) and one related to fishing. If I get any of those 4 goals, my starting tool is already been chosen by the game. And If I pick the other 4 grandpa goals I could try to go for the other tools, but I will only upgrade the tool if a miracle happen lol. I'm starting to thinking in a way to play solo but changing tools between turns... I don't know.

5) I really loved how much content this game have, a lot of buildings, cards, animals, friends, crops... The replayability and the possibilities for the players to modding the game and playing their own way is really good. I will keep an eye in the forums and I'll be back if I come up with any cool idea ^^

Questions:
1) The Mariner fishing upgrade card says: "Before fishing, you may discard up to 2 fish from the Fish Track and draw to replace". I can choose with one of the 5 fish track is removed? I can't remove trash?

3) The Luremaster fishing upgrade card says: "When you fish, you may first gain any 1 crab pot fish from the Fish Track", do I gain the crab pot fish and try to fish any of the other 4 fish with die, or I could fill the fish track before my roll to try to catch the 5º fish as well?

4) The Pirate fishing upgrade card says: "When you catch a fish, draw an item; discard the fish to keep the item." Does this effect work with other effects that give fish without the dice roll action? (For example, the crab pot I get with the Luremaster for free, the Crab pot item, wild Bait item...)

5) The Ring of Yoba mining upgrade card says: "you may ignore the effects of monsters". Does this combo with effects that the trigger is "after resolving a monster's ability in the mine"?

6) Some profession upgrades activate by spending 2 actions. Does that mean I can't move to take a forageable for free as well?

7) The "keep" events, I could change between players in the planning phase?

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Hey! Glad you're enjoying the game, here are some answers:

1) I think if you really don't enjoy one of the cards, it's a good idea to remove it. The Dark Shrine is interesting and powerful, but it can (in the situation you describe) make the Community Center very easy if you don't need friends and you get it early enough.

2) Let me know if you think of something! Some players have tried 2 year games and felt they just ran way too long. Another interesting suggestion is, play for X seasons (you decide at the start) and your "score" is based on how many bundles or goals you complete. So whenever you finish a goal or bundle, replace it with a new one.

3) Animals require a lot of work and don't generally pay off fast enough, especially as a solo player, to be an easy method for gold. They are mainly for goals and resources unless some ability or good fortune strikes.

4) It might be interesting to try and game where you have more than 1 Starting Tool. You'd need to upgrade them to get benefits out of them so it might not be unbalanced to have all 4 as a solo player, or even 2 and 2 in a 2 player game. I'd need to test that to be sure but it sounds interesting!

5) I am glad to hear this. I feel the same, and I love the idea that players can modify it to suit their taste.

ANSWERS:

1) You choose any fish or crab-pot fish to remove (not trash or treasure)
3) The Fish on the track are not refilled until the end of your fishing action, so in this case you'd only have 4 fish to try and catch after using this ability.
4) I would say yes, if an ability gives you a fish, you have "caught" that fish, and so the Pirate ability would work.
5) If you ignore the effect of a monster, you have not resolved the monster's ability - so in that case that combo would not work.
6) Yes, you cannot move. You're just sitting in the same spot taking 2 actions one after the next.
7) This is a great question - I would say you can trade them during Planning.

DJModulo

Sodbuster
Was about to post an answer and got sniped with all of the points taken - except for one.

@Colito, how would you feel about strictly assigning all of the Epic items to the occasions you get them? The items should be powerful and rewarding whenever you get them, yet there's possibilities such as drawing the Dark Shrine on completion of the CC or getting the Horse when having to build the Stable after all.
There's some very flavourful options for this as well, e.g. having the Dark Shrine as one of the three options on the Wizard event or getting the Crystalarium on completing the Mineral column of the Museum.

AlexandreNoite

Farmhand
Thanks @Colito for the answers! :hlevel:
I'm still testing out the solo mode, but it's kind of a mod of the original game, do I still post on this forum or in another place when it's done? I would love to hear the feedback of other people and you as well if possible.

While I was playtesting, I came up with a few situations involving my husband:
1º He could use itens that give extra actions?
2º I could share with him actions that demand 2 action points and still move and do my other action?

And another few questions:
3º The event "Bubbly Spot" says "Draw and keep 1 tile from the Fishing Bag." but I was "lucky" to draw the chest tile. Do I redraw another tile or I gained an item?
4º The event "Livin'Off the Land" says "Plant 3 seasonal crops for free." Does this event could stack crops as the hoe or I just plant on the free spots?
5º The event "Needy Animals" says "Flip all owned animals to their opposite side." Is this event just flipping the animals to their happy side, or it could turn the animals to their unhappy side as well? I know that judging by the text, it could do both, but the image is just a happy cow, maybe this was a misprint... I don't know.
6º The item "Miner's Treat" says "Discard to double the rewards gained from any player's Mine roll". I could combo this item with my pickaxe upgrade to select another reward then use the item?

Thank you!

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Was about to post an answer and got sniped with all of the points taken - except for one.

@Colito, how would you feel about strictly assigning all of the Epic items to the occasions you get them? The items should be powerful and rewarding whenever you get them, yet there's possibilities such as drawing the Dark Shrine on completion of the CC or getting the Horse when having to build the Stable after all.
There's some very flavourful options for this as well, e.g. having the Dark Shrine as one of the three options on the Wizard event or getting the Crystalarium on completing the Mineral column of the Museum.
That's an interesting idea! I like it thematically, but I'm not sure how you set it up elegantly. Part of the challenge with the game logistically is there is a lot of bits, and trying to keep the clutter down (both on the table and in the rules / set up) is always something I'm trying to work towards. If you try it out, let me know how it goes!

Someone also suggested a house rule of, whenever you gain an Epic Item, draw 2 and choose 1.

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Thanks @Colito for the answers! :hlevel:
I'm still testing out the solo mode, but it's kind of a mod of the original game, do I still post on this forum or in another place when it's done? I would love to hear the feedback of other people and you as well if possible.

While I was playtesting, I came up with a few situations involving my husband:
1º He could use itens that give extra actions?
2º I could share with him actions that demand 2 action points and still move and do my other action?

And another few questions:
3º The event "Bubbly Spot" says "Draw and keep 1 tile from the Fishing Bag." but I was "lucky" to draw the chest tile. Do I redraw another tile or I gained an item?
4º The event "Livin'Off the Land" says "Plant 3 seasonal crops for free." Does this event could stack crops as the hoe or I just plant on the free spots?
5º The event "Needy Animals" says "Flip all owned animals to their opposite side." Is this event just flipping the animals to their happy side, or it could turn the animals to their unhappy side as well? I know that judging by the text, it could do both, but the image is just a happy cow, maybe this was a misprint... I don't know.
6º The item "Miner's Treat" says "Discard to double the rewards gained from any player's Mine roll". I could combo this item with my pickaxe upgrade to select another reward then use the item?

Thank you!
I think it's fine to post a session report for your mod here, or start a new thread. Either way I'm interested to hear how it goes!

1) You are considered to share all inventory and items, so a spouse can use items which grant other actions.
2) I would say no. Your spouse can take a single action, and you are allowed 2 per turn, but effects that require 2 actions to use cannot span turns. Your spouse is sort of considered another player whom you direct. Does that make sense?

3) You get the item if you draw a chest out of the bag! :)
4) You must plant on open fields.
5) This card is one of the only events that can have a negative effects, to switch your happy animals to their unhappy side potentially. So yes, it can switch either way.
6) Yes, you can shift the result of your roll using the pickaxe, and then play the Miner's Treat to double that result instead of whatever you first rolled.

You're welcome! Hope these are helpful.