few issues with game

Tinks

Planter
Firstly several times I've had a message in postbox that said someone had charged me for helping me home. However several times nothing had happened and I'd gone to bed as normal the previous day??? It says I've been billed the money amount I have doesn't change???

secondly...tasks...I accepted Robins task for hardwood, took it to her.....she just said thats nice and only took one!...she'd wanted 80 to make a bed...what am I doing wrong?

Firstly several times I've had a message in postbox that said someone had charged me for helping me home. However several times nothing had happened and I'd gone to bed as normal the previous day??? It says I've been billed the money amount I have doesn't change???

secondly...tasks...I accepted Robins task for hardwood, took it to her.....she just said thats nice and only took one!...she'd wanted 80 to make a bed...what am I doing wrong?
For the first one, the money doesn't get taken when you read the letter, it gets taken that night if you pass out. If you're reading them and you went to bed at a normal time, the letter may be old. I recently had 2 1/2 weeks which went by without me reading my mail for reasons, and of the received letters I had like half a dozen notifications that I'd been helped home. I wouldn't worry about that one, you'll only get charged if you actually pass out, and only at the time, the letters themselves are meaningless.

For the second one, the quest log should indicate you need to drop it off in a chest near where Robin does business. I forget exactly where that one is but there's a dropoff spot, you don't give it directly to Robin. Also you need to gather 80 fresh hardwood, can't just give her stuff from your existing stockpile, if I recall correctly.

Tinks

Planter
For the first one, the money doesn't get taken when you read the letter, it gets taken that night if you pass out. If you're reading them and you went to bed at a normal time, the letter may be old. I recently had 2 1/2 weeks which went by without me reading my mail for reasons, and of the received letters I had like half a dozen notifications that I'd been helped home. I wouldn't worry about that one, you'll only get charged if you actually pass out, and only at the time, the letters themselves are meaningless.

For the second one, the quest log should indicate you need to drop it off in a chest near where Robin does business. I forget exactly where that one is but there's a dropoff spot, you don't give it directly to Robin. Also you need to gather 80 fresh hardwood, can't just give her stuff from your existing stockpile, if I recall correctly.
It didn't say on the letter where to leave it just asked if anyone could get her 80 hardwood and can only get so many per day from the tree stumps on my farm! Tried it for Kenny's farm too (4 corners)but although that had some hardwood stumps they didn't grow back!

Also if I get a cabin cos its much cheaper than a shed, can I just use it to store the cheese maker, mayo maker ,jam maker etc and chests ...or is it only gonna let people stay in it if I play in multiplayer mode? ...coop is full of chickens and ducks now so they won't all fit in there!

It didn't say on the letter where to leave it just asked if anyone could get her 80 hardwood and can only get so many per day from the tree stumps on my farm! Tried it for Kenny's farm too (4 corners)but although that had some hardwood stumps they didn't grow back!

Also if I get a cabin cos its much cheaper than a shed, can I just use it to store the cheese maker, mayo maker ,jam maker etc and chests ...or is it only gonna let people stay in it if I play in multiplayer mode? ...coop is full of chickens and ducks now so they won't all fit in there!
Yeah you can only get so many per day. If you get the quest on Monday it's a lot easier to hit than if you get it later in the week, so I'd definitely check that board every week. In addition, I'd personally recommend ensuring you have a few Mahogany Trees around waiting to be chopped, so you can more easily hit that one. Personally I got that quest and failed it twice before succeeding at it. The second time I had the hardwood but she locked her doors before I could deliver it, and then the quest expired. So not an easy one for sure!

The cabin, not only does that work, but you can actually have someone join the game, use the cabin, and upgrade it so that you can eventually have a full sized house to use as storage. Plus then if anyone does join they've got a full house instead of just a shack. They'll just have to ignore all the cheese makers and such around them ;-) It's not my personal preference, I like how square and tidy the sheds are, but it's certainly a valid option!

Tinks

Planter
Yeah you can only get so many per day. If you get the quest on Monday it's a lot easier to hit than if you get it later in the week, so I'd definitely check that board every week. In addition, I'd personally recommend ensuring you have a few Mahogany Trees around waiting to be chopped, so you can more easily hit that one. Personally I got that quest and failed it twice before succeeding at it. The second time I had the hardwood but she locked her doors before I could deliver it, and then the quest expired. So not an easy one for sure!

The cabin, not only does that work, but you can actually have someone join the game, use the cabin, and upgrade it so that you can eventually have a full sized house to use as storage. Plus then if anyone does join they've got a full house instead of just a shack. They'll just have to ignore all the cheese makers and such around them ;-) It's not my personal preference, I like how square and tidy the sheds are, but it's certainly a valid option!
Thanks... I made the cheese maker by mistake as have no animals that make milk on here yet! I wanted goats but its only showing outlines except chickens and ducks that I've already bought.

Robin's only shows one barn but 3 coops but animals outlines suggest a big barn or deluxe barn is needed for some but can't work out what animals they're meant to represent!

Cant work out how to get the jam out of the jam maker once you've put the fruit in it, neither the Y or A button are working and just smashing puts it back in your inventory!

and Caroline is been very rude!..lol..according to the stardew wiki she likes any fruit but I took her a gold star fruit and she said it was disgusting and insulting!...her daughter is eqully as rude when I've tried to give them gifts! . can I not grow tea saplings without seeing carolines cut scene first?

The politest have been Penny, Emily and Linus! :smile:

Hill Myna

Farmer
Thanks... I made the cheese maker by mistake as have no animals that make milk on here yet! I wanted goats but its only showing outlines except chickens and ducks that I've already bought.

Robin's only shows one barn but 3 coops but animals outlines suggest a big barn or deluxe barn is needed for some but can't work out what animals they're meant to represent!
Cows and goats will give you milk that you can turn into cheese. Cows require just a basic Barn, and Goats require a Big Barn. You'll have to buy the basic Barn from Robin before you upgrade to the Big Barn. Once you have a Deluxe Barn (the final upgrade) and the Deluxe Coop (also the final upgrade), you'll be able to house all the animals.

Basic Barns/Coops can hold four animals, Big ones can hold eight, and Deluxe ones can hold twelve.

Cant work out how to get the jam out of the jam maker once you've put the fruit in it, neither the Y or A button are working and just smashing puts it back in your inventory!
You can place any fruit or vegetable into Preserves Jar, and they will take 2-3 days to finish. You can then collect the product with A (or Y, but A works better when refilling), as long as your inventory isn't full.

You can also put in Fish Roe.

and Caroline is been very rude!..lol..according to the stardew wiki she likes any fruit but I took her a gold star fruit and she said it was disgusting and insulting!...her daughter is eqully as rude when I've tried to give them gifts! . can I not grow tea saplings without seeing carolines cut scene first?
Yes, you'll have to see the cutscene first. I'm guessing you gave her a Salmonberry? Caroline likes Parsnips, Radishes, and Yams (but not Snow Yams!) among other things. Abigail likes Gems from the Mines (but I don't think she likes Earth Crystals).

Hope this helps!

Tinks

Planter
You can place any fruit or vegetable into Preserves Jar, and they will take 2-3 days to finish. You can then collect the product with A (or Y, but A works better when refilling), as long as your inventory isn't full.
2-3 in-game days??? How do I know when it's done?

Ereo

Helper
There will be a little bubble over it with a picture of the finished product. Don't worry, it's very noticable.

It's the same for all machines.

nicodeux

Farmer
2-3 in-game days??? How do I know when it's done?
All machines (but a few exception like bee hives) have an animation as long as they are processing. Usually, they have a pulsating or chewing-like animation and sometimes extra elements like a white thread for the loom, a fire for the furnace, smoke for the charcoal kiln....

As Ereo said, once the machines are done processing, the resulting product is displayed in a small white bubble over it. The bubble remains until you collect the item, so you won't forget it.

Tinks

Planter
All machines (but a few exception like bee hives) have an animation as long as they are processing. Usually, they have a pulsating or chewing-like animation and sometimes extra elements like a white thread for the loom, a fire for the furnace, smoke for the charcoal kiln....

As Ereo said, once the machines are done processing, the resulting product is displayed in a small white bubble over it. The bubble remains until you collect the item, so you won't forget it.
ahh right Thanks.... do I need to find a jar to put it in or does it magically come in one already??? Didn't think it would take that long! ..but only used the furnace so far which doesn't take long to make the bars.

Ereo

Helper
It will make a jar, you only need to put in the fruit/vegetables.

Furnace is very quick for copper, but then gets slower for other metals.

Tinks

Planter
Thanks...itis very enjoyable & addictive game!..I've played it docked and in handheld mode (switch). Only other thing thats a bit awkward I've noticed in docked mode the energy bar is partially off the screen so difficult to see what energy have left and the level number of mine is also obscured in the frleft corner..I'm not sure why that is and if a different TV setting would fix that? The lounge TV is quite big and wide, maybe it was designed with a smaller TV screen size in mind?

imnvs

Local Legend
Thanks...itis very enjoyable & addictive game!..I've played it docked and in handheld mode (switch). Only other thing thats a bit awkward I've noticed in docked mode the energy bar is partially off the screen so difficult to see what energy have left and the level number of mine is also obscured in the frleft corner..I'm not sure why that is and if a different TV setting would fix that? The lounge TV is quite big and wide, maybe it was designed with a smaller TV screen size in mind?
I don't know your TV's specifics, but some can be set to different resolutions. Perhaps messing with that setting (if there is one) that would help fix the energy bar being partly off screen?

Lew Zealand

Helper
That's the Overscan setting on your TV. It enlarges the picture a small amount to mask off small problems on the sides of the screen, however I really don't know why this should even be a thing for digital TVs, it's a holdover from the old tube TVs which actually needed this setting.

Now, some TVs (like one I have here) are too stupidly designed and won't let you change the overscan setting so you can see everything on the screen. Go through the TV's Settings menus and see if there is something like Overscan (or Size, or Screen Fit, or Screen Fill) and see if you can find a setting which shows everything you see on your Switch's screen.

Usually this is called 1:1 mode or Zero Overscan or Screen Fit. But it could be something else. If you post your TV model here, I may be able to find the setting in an online manual.

Lew Zealand

Helper
🤦‍♀️

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I have a Switch right in front of me. And the TV mentioned above. And the brand new HDMI cable I've needed for a while.

At least it took my head less than 10 minutes to put this all together.

Sigh. Testing this now. I don't have SDV on the Switch but I'll test with menus and stuff.
_____

Edit:

I found it I found it!

You can fix this on your Switch this way:

System Settings
TV Settings
Adjust Screen size
Move the 100% down until you see the entire screen (the blue arrows in the 4 corners)

In theory, setting your TV to 1:1 or Zero Overscan and keeping the Switch at 100% should produce a slightly better picture, but if this works and looks OK to you then you should be set!

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
Thanks I'll try that later.. I got a couple more cows for Kenny's Farm last night but the cheese maker isn't in my crafting inventory (even grayed out). it was in the inventory for my other farm even though I had no milk producing animals on the farm and thought it was the mayo maker and built it first before realising I'd built the wrong one!! (have both now on FF).

Hoping to have Penny on 10 hearts by the beginning of spring so I can go get that pendant!! It's been hard finding things as only Holly and Crocus about mainly. I've been hoping a Poppyseed muffin would come up on the travelling salesperson's menu!

Ereo

Helper
The cheesemaker is unlocked at a certain farming level. But Penny likes milk, so let her try some! She also likes flowers.

Tinks

Planter
The cheesemaker is unlocked at a certain farming level. But Penny likes milk, so let her try some! She also likes flowers.
I got Penny to 10 hearts this morning...got to end of winter....on first day of spring when I play again....so will be getting the pendant next!! :smile:

imnvs

Local Legend
I got Penny to 10 hearts this morning...got to end of winter....on first day of spring when I play again....so will be getting the pendant next!! :smile:
If you want one ASAP, use a rain totem on Spring 1 so it will be raining Spring 2. (The mariner is only there in the rain.)