Do I *need* to complete Skull Cavern?

I have been playing Stardew for the last few months and I have really been trying to avoid Skull Cavern. It gives me anxiety and doesn't make the game fun for me :/ Do I need to complete it to move forward in the game or can I just stick with farming/mining in town?

P.S. If you have any tips/tricks to make Skull Cavern much easier please share!

Jayamos

Farmer
Depends on what you mean by moving forward. If you do well in Grandpa’s evaluation you can get a reliable source of iridium, and iridium ore is all you need from SC. Check the wiki for more on that.
Also see Hill Myna’s excellent SC guide here if you would like to get better at it. https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/the-skull-cavern-thread.9211/
I didn’t like SC either, but once I got the hang of it I’ve come to really enjoy it. Now I have to figure out what to do with all that iridium.

Depends on what you mean by moving forward. If you do well in Grandpa’s evaluation you can get a reliable source of iridium, and iridium ore is all you need from SC. Check the wiki for more on that.
Also see Hill Myna’s excellent SC guide here if you would like to get better at it. https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/the-skull-cavern-thread.9211/
I didn’t like SC either, but once I got the hang of it I’ve come to really enjoy it. Now I have to figure out what to do with all that iridium.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

Ereo

Helper
You don’t need to finish it, but getting to level 100 (after finding the not inviting you to go) yields a nice reward that makes it easier, also for a later dungeon. You can easily get 100 staircases by replicating jade and exchanging it at the desert trader.

the materials found there are also quite useful, but with patience you can get them elsewhere as well.

Rhiannon

Farmer
You don’t need to finish it, but getting to level 100 (after finding the not inviting you to go) yields a nice reward that makes it easier, also for a later dungeon. You can easily get 100 staircases by replicating jade and exchanging it at the desert trader.

the materials found there are also quite useful, but with patience you can get them elsewhere as well.
Exactly. I had the "get to level 25" quest and it took me 5 minutes with staircases. Then I got the "get to level 100" quest. I've saving those jades for staircase purchases. I have another source of iridium ore and once my quest is done, I'll be fine to never darken the door of Skull Cavern ever again.