Cleaning Stables and use the dung as fertilizer AND give animals the right food

Sayanna

Greenhorn
Well, okay - if you see Stardew Valley as alienworld, where nothing needs to be a bit more realistic, then forget my ideas.
I was looking for a farm game, better than Harvest Moon.

Sayanna

Greenhorn
In Harvest Moon you had to pet your animals. Clean them... Talk to them...
Ofc they got also just hay to eat... but to pet them and to talk to them is something i really miss in SV.
SV is in some points better. Being gay, having a lot more options how to dress your char, having a lot of different fishes, mines, items...
But pets come too short. its more industrial than farm.
And thats a thing i really would change.
The whole game is made with love, industrial ways have no place there imo.
ignoring pets over days and weeks because everything is automatically is industrial.
TOO real then,.

My main concern again is redundancies. Just because one item is more realistic doesn't mean it is realistic. In the case of the sap it's more of a general tree waste product. It's like fiber. Jute is squires from certain plants you wouldn't use plant fiber in the way portrayed in game maybe in survival. Just like you wouldn't mix sap in as it would make the ground acidic from the tanins in it. More than likely sap is just a catch all as making rosin, resin, pitch, sawdust, and sap would take up quite a bit of space early game or worse replace the already more useful drop.

Also the dung would essentially cause a health department mandate that you farms crops and produce cannot be used for human/animal consumption as it would be contaminated with e coli. The dung would have to be composted and go through a heat in which it's decomposition would become hot enough to kill pathogens that are part of the process.

So for it to be realistic you need to put the manure into a compost bin or make your fields lay fallow for a full in-game month (120 days irl). You could grow items like fiber, and certain flowers (jazz, tulips, poppy, sunflower are out as they are edibles) but I think most people wouldn't like the realism of this.

imnvs

Local Legend
Ofc they got also just hay to eat... but to pet them and to talk to them is something i really miss in SV.
SV is in some points better. Being gay, having a lot more options how to dress your char, having a lot of different fishes, mines, items...
But pets come too short. its more industrial than farm.
And thats a thing i really would change.
The whole game is made with love, industrial ways have no place there imo.
ignoring pets over days and weeks because everything is automatically is industrial.
TOO real then,.
Okay... so let's talk realism...

We're going to need animals of both genders if any of them are going to reproduce, unlike now. Can't milk a bull, though, unless you've got a death wish. Same goes for no eggs from a Rooster. Speaking of, you'll have to keep the Rooster away from the Hens, except when you want fertilized eggs from which to grow more chickens. Similar for Mallards versus Ducks. At least male sheep still produce wool. Have a similar problem with Goats as with Cows, get Billy and you can't get milk from him. Pigs can get truffles despite gender. Then we also have Dinos and Ostriches, similar issues as with the chickens again. The worst is the Rabbits... no produce until you kill them for their hide and feet.

Oh, and if you think you can get away with just having females bought from Marnie, well, your animals also can't live forever. Either you're breeding or you're buying new ones from Marnie and starting over every year.

Asking for realism and complaining that things are too industrial... but I think the amount of work that'll have to go into a realistic farm simulator will suck all the fun out of things, making it more like real farming which is a job and not a hobby for relaxation when you're at home on your computer. Which is worse? Feeling like some things can be abandoned once you're done with them and calling it industrial... or having to work from dawn until dusk, never mining or fishing or anything else because your animals take way too much work in order to get everything you need from them so that you can then plant things things you'll need to feed them, making everything feel like a chore instead of a fun game?

Last edited:

1FlyCat

Planter
The great thing about Stardew Valley that sets it apart from Harvest Moon is the fact that it is customizable with mods. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

So one could, depending on their coding abilities, develop a mod to recreate aspects of Harvest Moon.

And while we are on the subject of mods, you may want to check out Animal Social Menu mod:

Last edited:
The great thing about Stardew Valley that sets it apart from Harvest Moon is the fact that it is customizable with mods. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

So one could, depending on their coding abilities, develop a mod to recreate aspects of Harvest Moon.

On while we are on the subject of mods, you may want to check out Animal Social Menu mod:
Dude I had logged so many hours into harvest moon. I can tell you this game is so superior. In HM you could only hold one item at a time, had to ship all items before 5pm, no cooking, limited fishing, no walking over crops, limited livestock, horrendous animal selling mechanic, limited crops,hurricanes, season based tool upgrades, and no befriending NPCs. And the worse thing of all. No matter how many of each crop, how well each animal was treated, how much of the farm you utilized, how many secrets you found, have the kids, fully upgrade everything. Then after 2 1/2 years your dad comes in to gripe at you while your mom is bawling and your game ends with you being pecked to death by chickens for dropping an egg.

The only things that HM had over stardew valley is.
Time stops after 9pm. This allowed you to visit the hotsprings and heal and clear your farm of all level one debris over night and maintain huge fields as you just harvest in the mornings and watered at night. Which when exploited allowed the marriage of a character and corresponding upgrades by spring 14 year 1

Time stops in buildings. Yeah you could take care and brush all your animals. However the game encouraged you to send them outside to graze as it built friendship up faster and allowed easier feeding.

Grass was permanent. When you planted grass that plot was taken up nearly permanently only being removed by placed items or the typhoon/hurricane ripping it up or placing items on t.

Secret garden. It was a visual indicator of how many power berries(stardrops) you found.

The last is the bell. A simple tool that when rang called the livestock to you. Would be so helpful since chickens are shorter than grass in stardew

Honestly after posting all those changes I cannot see how anyone can say stardew is the lesser game. Heck if you wanna see messy games see the new stories of seasons or the rune factory styles that Natsune had released or authorized to be made. I mean they each have their selling points but stardew is in that Goldilocks zone that is not to gimmicky(Harvest Moon:One World) or not too industrial (farming simulator 19). This allows the game to be as openly accessable to the most possible groups with it's only short coming to some is not allowing for they/them instead of him/her.

So while this is divergent it's only marginally as the TC and other users are comparing SV to HM.