Changing pet names

briansmsk8er

Greenhorn
Currently playing this on Nintendo switch, I have hundreds of hours in my save file. My cat Mokie recently had to be put down and I wanted to memorialize him in my game. I read that you can change the pets in the game and I rushed to get the wizards hearts up to get into the basement to do so, but I found out that you can't actually change the name, only the type. This was really disheartening, I was hoping that in the next update you could add that functionality. It would mean the world to me.

Excellent suggestion.
I want to add additional information concerning the common bugs from PC, Switch, IOS, and every game system.

I noticed that so many people got common bugs from their play.
They gave the same bachelors' name to their pet.
Eg, Someone named their pet "Harvey"; unfortunately, Harvey(as a bachelor) never talked back to the Farmer.

Please be aware that it is harder to rename the pet's name in IOS, Switch, Xbox, and PS4....in order to fix the bugs.
It would be nice to allow people to rename their pets' names just like changing the farmer's appearances.

Links:

Additionally, please allow people to change their children's names.
I saw someone on Reddit accidentally name their child "Bra" instead of "Brandon."

EDIT: Yes. you can change the name through PC not Nintendo, PS, and IOS, unfortunately.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Sadly, in the wizard's basement you can only change your name. Currently, to change the name of your pet or horse you need file access to your save files in order to edit them... and you only have that on Android and PC.

And as @Laissez_Faire_Farming pointed out, folks have accidently screwed themselves into a bug by naming their pet after an NPC in game. And while I sympathize with your situation and desire to memorialize one you love, I think their complaint is more a relevant issue for the game to fix, more than your issue. Their issue is a bug, while your issue is a personal issue. And again, I really do sympathize. My first cat in game was named after my departed cat Simon.

In the meantime, may I suggest starting a new farm at some point and naming your pet in that one after Mokie?

briansmsk8er

Greenhorn
Excellent suggestion.
I want to add additional information concerning the common bugs from PC, Switch, IOS, and every game system.

I noticed that so many people got common bugs from their play.
They gave the same bachelors' name to their pet.
Eg, Someone named their pet "Harvey"; unfortunately, Harvey(as a bachelor) never talked back to the Farmer.

Please be aware that it is harder to rename the pet's name in IOS, Switch, Xbox, and PS4....in order to fix the bugs.
It would be nice to allow people to rename their pets' names just like changing the farmer's appearances.

Links:

Additionally, please allow people to change their children's names.
I saw someone on Reddit accidentally name their child "Bra" instead of "Brandon."
Thank you so much for the information, I had no idea that this bug existed.

briansmsk8er

Greenhorn
Sadly, in the wizard's basement you can only change your name. Currently, to change the name of your pet or horse you need file access to your save files in order to edit them... and you only have that on Android and PC.

And as @Laissez_Faire_Farming pointed out, folks have accidently screwed themselves into a bug by naming their pet after an NPC in game. And while I sympathize with your situation and desire to memorialize one you love, I think their complaint is more a relevant issue for the game to fix, more than your issue. Their issue is a bug, while your issue is a personal issue. And again, I really do sympathize. My first cat in game was named after my departed cat Simon.

In the meantime, may I suggest starting a new farm at some point and naming your pet in that one after Mokie?
I appreciate that and I totally agree that bugs are more important to fix than a personal problem. I had no idea that this bug existed until it was pointed out. I think I'll just start a new farm, I've been wanted to do the OG layout, as I am currently on the Riverland layout and it's been a bit difficult. It does kinda suck having to start from scratch though, I've spent countless hours on my current farm and even have a complete museum. We'll see if I get the same kind of luck in the new playthrough.

I think I need to talk to my husband, he named his pet after an NPC on accident. While the NPC has not been unlocked "Leo" it may become a problem later.

Having an easy way to change pets name would be great! It would make it so that the bug issue would be fixed as well as memorializing a pet.
Is there a way to hook a switch up to a pc to modify the pet name file? I don't know if it is possible, software is not my wheel house.

It would be nice if you could just go to Marnie and as to change your pet's name in her shop. Of course, I think it would be something she would charge for just to make sure the player is serious. While some people would be serious, I can just see others changing the pet every in game day.