Solved [BUG] Problem with Dr. Harvey

MsTiger08

Farmhand
Well apparently I committed an offense against Stardew's programming. I started a new game, and when Marnie brought me my cat, I named it Harvey after my great-grandfather. The problem is now I cannot interact with Dr. Harvey. Is there a way around this, or am I stuck forever on Dr. Harvey's ignore list?

MsTiger08

Ereo

Helper
I'm pretty sure you should be able to fix this by changing the name of the pet in the save file. I don't think there is an in-game way to do it.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, how to rename your pet? Savefile editing. That is the only way I know of. It's not that hard, but some may find it daunting. How to do so? I'll tell you...

1 - Most importantly, before going any further you should make sure to backup your savefile before you begin editing, just to make sure. (Make a copy in another folder.)
2 - Open your savefile (not the copy you made) in a text editor, and even Notepad will work for this.
3 - Do a search for your pet's name. In your case, Harvey. Since your pet's name matches an NPC, you'll want to make sure you have the right one. It should look like this: <NPC xsi:type="Cat"><name>Harvey</name>
4 - Change where it says Harvey to what you want your pet named.
5 - Save and exit.
6 - Open your save in Stardew and verify it worked.

ISSsloth

Farmer
That's an interesting bug! I wonder if naming other animals or even children after npcs makes you unable to interact with them.

MsTiger08

Farmhand
Okay, how to rename your pet? Savefile editing. That is the only way I know of. It's not that hard, but some may find it daunting. How to do so? I'll tell you...

1 - Most importantly, before going any further you should make sure to backup your savefile before you begin editing, just to make sure. (Make a copy in another folder.)
2 - Open your savefile (not the copy you made) in a text editor, and even Notepad will work for this.
3 - Do a search for your pet's name. In your case, Harvey. Since your pet's name matches an NPC, you'll want to make sure you have the right one. It should look like this: <NPC xsi:type="Cat"><name>Harvey</name>
4 - Change where it says Harvey to what you want your pet named.
5 - Save and exit.
6 - Open your save in Stardew and verify it worked.
Thank you very much! I am now able to interact with Dr. Harvey :heart: It was rather irritating as my char had plans to marry the Doctor! :love:

Last edited:

Aleesha

Greenhorn
I have this same issue on Switch with Elliott and my cat and I never made the connection! Thank you for helping me finally figure it out. I can't change my cat's name but at least I can still give (human) Elliott gifts.

imnvs

Local Legend
I have this same issue on Switch with Elliott and my cat and I never made the connection! Thank you for helping me finally figure it out. I can't change my cat's name but at least I can still give (human) Elliott gifts.
You should be able to edit your file to change your cat's name following the same steps I outlined above... unless you simply can't edit your save file.

Corvus

Sodbuster
That's an interesting bug! I wonder if naming other animals or even children after npcs makes you unable to interact with them.
Some months ago when I started my very first game, knowing zip about it, I named my character "Gus" figuring that would be unusual enough -- it wasn't. I only got up to the middle of Spring when the HD died, taking the save file with it but so far as I could tell it made no difference to NPC Gus. He was perfectly willing to sell me food.

Geoman265

Tiller
Some months ago when I started my very first game, knowing zip about it, I named my character "Gus" figuring that would be unusual enough -- it wasn't. I only got up to the middle of Spring when the HD died, taking the save file with it but so far as I could tell it made no difference to NPC Gus. He was perfectly willing to sell me food.
I had named one of my characters George (on mobile, or maybe xbox, can't remember), and I also had no issues with the townsperson. Maybe it's only with pets?