CA and Stardew Forums: I’m disappointed.

ArtifactSpot

I know I’m going to get a crapload of hate responses from everyone here. CA is some kind of a god after all. 😏 But he’s working on a 4th patch for PC and adding new content, which console (and even mobile more so) are left in the dust waiting for our first release. These forums won’t make a separate forum for the months and year we will likely wait so we have a place to share other aspects of Stardew for fun and relaxation without incessant spoilers everywhere. Why do I even care if he just makes it a pc game? I don’t. At all. Just tell us you are going to make this pc only andcquit leaving us hanging by a thread. My fibromyalgia make keyboards and controllers very difficult to use but touchscreen isn’t too bad. Mods are near impossible to download can’t get them working on Linux or Windows to make controls easier. I can’t think like that. I’m old and my brain isnt wired all modern. Please just tell us no instead of making multiple more patchings even adding more content before getting to console or mobile. I’m happy with 1.5 and will use it until it breaks or gets too buggy to work since it’s last update was almost a year ago. But this place is not accommodating to half its members who want a place to hang out with former friends who are to busy discussing the new update to remember us. You had a good thing going here. But now, not so much.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
Well, not gonna hate on you, but I will say you need to be patient. Aside from PC smoothing out bugs before console has to deal with em, console releases actually have a lot of hoops to jump through before anything can be done whereas PC releases do not have as much and are easier to navigate. If he didn't want mobile or consoles to have SDV, it would've never come to those platforms. Since it did, clearly CA wanted them there. He's got a lot of hoops to jump through for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, Android, Amazon, etc. I implore you to set aside the biases and look into the actual facts.

Maybe this article will help? https://magicmedia.studio/news-insights/console-and-pc-game-development/

As for the forum, you can't really be upset with people being excited for 1.6 and wanting to talk about it. That's a bit unfair. You can make a 1.5 only thread if you want.

ArtifactSpot

I’m patient. Like I said he has every right to make this a pc only game. But rather than offer it on 3 platforms he has trouble doing all on his own by himself, just make it a single platform game so we aren’t left dangling in wait. Just say it’s too much and get on with developing his new game which he is likely making pc only, possibly console, and definitely not mobile cause he has too much on his plate and he’s admitted it. Just admit it for Stardew too and let us get on with accepting it’s Tgoing to be pc only whether he retires it or updates it again later.

ETA: I know y’all are excited I just miss talking to people here. Can’t talk about things we know little to nothing about. Why not make a 1.6 forum. Keep all spoilers in one place. Not too much to ask.

ArtifactSpot

He doesn’t control the console or mobile ports. They are done by separate developers.
Right, just give it up. Leave it as is and not say he’s going to make it quicker this time when he can’t. It’s a PC game just end it there be done. Let us get on with finding new games and enjoying what we have on Stardew without teasing quicker releases than last time. I know you might not understand but when you have disabilities and are too stupid to get mods for those disabilities working so I can play on a controller, it’s a bigger deal than it seems. I don’t play more modern games well cause of my disabilities. It’s hard to find something I can do and when I do find that in mobile Stardew I get attached to it.

ArtifactSpot

He’s already talked about how last time was an extraneous case and how 1.6’s release would be faster due to it getting back on track. Not sure how much better the situation could get considering he has no direct control.
I know, I just think he should offer it on the one platform he can control. Why sell it off to places you have no control over. Makes no sense. I know it makes more money, but he seems more the type to care about people not money. Either control all 3 or give up what you can’t control. That’s best for his gamers.

Sorrelfox

Farmhand
Porting is hard. Console and mobile both are completely different in terms of build than PC. He manages everything else (which is exceptional for game development, usually each task is relegated to a specific group) but doesn’t have the skill set to port to console/mobile (+ deal with the legal hoops) so has others do that so that console/mobile players can still play the game. It seems reasonable to me (and is a common practice, I can’t think of many devs that port games themselves)

I’m sorry it’s causing you so much strife, but it will happen with time :)
It’s also important that bugs are ironed out before console/mobile release so that the process doesn’t have to start over with releasing patches to other versions. It’s more difficult to push versions to console/mobile than PC, so having the finished version pushed to console/mobile is preferable.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The pc release was largely an open beta, meant to test the game and get bug reports back (and he’s probably gotten a few thousand at this point it’s insane).

He’ll release a full update for all platforms as a patch, probably 1.6.5 or something similar. Mobile will also not take nearly as long as last time to update, that was due to many issues with the people actually porting.

I’m not sure I get the issue you really have with it, you want him to say the update isn’t coming to console or mobile?? It is, the options are delaying the whole update for everyone or allowing most of the player base to play it and contribute to making the game far better when it does release on all platforms.

Of course there will be spoilers but most places have some preventative measures, here in the forums most spoilers can be completely ignored, I also don’t really get the issue with spoilers too much either, unless you’re really reading into it you’re not going to break any immersive self discovery process you’d otherwise go through.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I know, I just think he should offer it on the one platform he can control. Why sell it off to places you have no control over. Makes no sense. I know it makes more money, but he seems more the type to care about people not money. Either control all 3 or give up what you can’t control. That’s best for his gamers.
Because he wants more people to experience and have access to the game, the fact that an update comes a couple months later is completely different than the update being barred from certain devices completely. Nobody can control everything, that’s just a fact of life and accepting it is too, it’s a shame but he isn’t obligated to release any updates at all so honestly I wish people would just be happy with the hundreds of hours of extra free content they’ve gotten.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
Because 1.6 is the current content now and there's already rules in place to avoid spoilers in titles and such. Keeping the forums 100% spoiler free is impossible for long term.

I didn't even play 1.5 til the release of 1.6 and still managed to avoid spoilers. It's not particularly hard. Compared to 1.5, 1.6 doesn't add to the game that much. 1.5 was much more massive in terms of spoilers and I was able to avoid it for the most part (basically the story. I knew about new crops, existence of Ginger Island, and that was about it). Never would I demand others to not talk about 1.5 or any other patch I hadn't played on a public forum. One on one with a friend? Sure. But a forum or social media site? No. I'm not gonna tell people to cater to me cause that's not fair to them.

FilthyGorilla and Sorrelfox also have the right of it. You have a massive amount of stuff to do in the meantime and things will be updated. The PC users are the ones basically handling the buggy part so when it comes to you, you don't gotta worry about as many bugs.

Bawby

Planter
Because 1.6 is the current content now and there's already rules in place to avoid spoilers in titles and such. Keeping the forums 100% spoiler free is impossible for long term.

I didn't even play 1.5 til the release of 1.6 and still managed to avoid spoilers. It's not particularly hard. Compared to 1.5, 1.6 doesn't add to the game that much. 1.5 was much more massive in terms of spoilers and I was able to avoid it for the most part (basically the story. I knew about new crops, existence of Ginger Island, and that was about it). Never would I demand others to not talk about 1.5 or any other patch I hadn't played on a public forum. One on one with a friend? Sure. But a forum or social media site? No. I'm not gonna tell people to cater to me cause that's not fair to them.

FilthyGorilla and Sorrelfox also have the right of it. You have a massive amount of stuff to do in the meantime and things will be updated. The PC users are the ones basically handling the buggy part so when it comes to you, you don't gotta worry about as many bugs.
I see what @ArtifactSpot is getting at though. It's not just spoilers that's frustrating, it's the community moving on without console (such as myself) and mobile players. There are several threads pre-1.6 with a pretty, new 1.6 spoilers tag on them. Guess what dominates those conversations?
Recipe books, green rain, 100 pets, turtles,
flying carpets, spider proms,or whatever new nonsense 1.6 has to offer.
The point is, there's nothing that can really be done. Progress has to happen, but please don't blame people for feeling left out or left behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
I see what @ArtifactSpot is getting at though. It's not just spoilers that's frustrating, it's the community moving on without console (such as myself) and mobile players. There are several threads pre-1.6 with a pretty, new 1.6 spoilers tag on them. Guess what dominates those conversations? [snipped by moderator] spider proms, or whatever new nonsense 1.6 has to offer.
The point is, there's nothing that can really be done. Progress has to happen, but please don't blame people for feeling left out or left behind.
I don't, truly, because I understand the feeling of being left behind, but the reverse can also be said, which is what Artifact isn't taking into account. Don't blame the people enjoying the current stuff and demand they wait for you. Like I said, I hadn't played 1.5 til 1.6 came out. It would've been really unreasonable of me to demand nobody talk about 1.5 til I played it. I just avoided anything 1.5 related, whether forum stuff or youtube or twitter. Claiming CA shouldn't even bother with consoles or whatever else isn't a good way to go about it either. In fact, that's rather insulting when there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes people don't realize. That's why I linked the article to give insight to what exactly CA has to go through to get consoles going after PC.

When XIV (which is available on PC and consoles alike) has a new patch, I give a 2-week spoiler embargo where spoilers are not discussed at all or kept in the spoiler thread. That's enough time for people to play and it keeps spoilers out for a little bit. However, spoilers can't be locked down forever. After those two weeks are up, people can talk freely and those wanting to avoid spoilers need to do so on their own. Only time the embargo is longer (usually a month or two) is when a brand new expansion comes out (such as the upcoming Dawntrail) cause it's way bigger than just a patch.

I've yet to have a complaint about this system as it is a happy medium for both sides. Forums should be even easier to avoid spoilers since anything 1.6 related should be tagged. You can literally also make a thread dedicated to 1.5 for console players. It's really not that difficult.

But TLDR: Both sides are valid in this. 1.6 people should be free to discuss the content, but those that don't have it should have a space of some kind to avoid spoilers and not be alienated. I hope that makes sense more?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know for me, Stardew Valley hasn't just been a game, it's been an important part of my life for the past few years. And this forum is important to me too, not just to talk about the game, but to interact with people, participate, and contribute. Feeling like the game itself, and even the forum, has moved on without me...yeah, that's not a great feeling. I started playing 1.3, and the lag has been hard each time.
I hope you'll hang in there, wait for the update with me, and keep coming back to the forum. You're a valued member of this little community.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
I know for me, Stardew Valley hasn't just been a game, it's been an important part of my life for the past few years. And this forum is important to me too, not just to talk about the game, but to interact with people, participate, and contribute. Feeling like the game itself, and even the forum, has moved on without me...yeah, that's not a great feeling. I started playing 1.3, and the lag has been hard each time.
I hope you'll hang in there, wait for the update with me, and keep coming back to the forum. You're a valued member of this little community.
That's a good outlook to have. I know it sucks to wait, but you'll get the content. That's a guarantee!

Also, those of us that have done 1.6 are always open to discussing previous patches all the same and do our best to avoid spoilers. (I'd likely have a guide or patch notes up to remind me what is in certain stuff and what isn't cause I have a crappy memory, lol!) We're not gonna push out anybody from the community despite the excitement for new stuff.

JuniperSkyy

Farmhand
I just wanted to add, I play on console, and I feel like waiting a bit isn't that big of a deal. If you are really invested in the game, you shouldn't be complaining about a new update that just adds some new things. Enjoy the old stuff before it is changed. It's probably not that long before the update comes out, and I feel that removing SDV from console and mobile is not the solution. Lots of people may have a console or mobile but not a PC, so having those allows them to experience the game as well. If you would rather ruin that for thousands of people than wait a couple of weeks or months for the update, maybe don't play the game anymore. Like @Taluwen said, you can't expect everyone to cater to you just because YOU don't like that you have to wait. I have to wait, and others have to wait too, but most people don't complain. We are optimistic and I for one enjoy talking abt 1.6 with others, because I enjoy interacting with the other people on this platform. Not having the newest update is not going to ruin that for me.

Bawby

Planter
I don't, truly, because I understand the feeling of being left behind, but the reverse can also be said, which is what Artifact isn't taking into account. Don't blame the people enjoying the current stuff and demand they wait for you. Like I said, I hadn't played 1.5 til 1.6 came out. It would've been really unreasonable of me to demand nobody talk about 1.5 til I played it. I just avoided anything 1.5 related, whether forum stuff or youtube or twitter. Claiming CA shouldn't even bother with consoles or whatever else isn't a good way to go about it either. In fact, that's rather insulting when there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes people don't realize. That's why I linked the article to give insight to what exactly CA has to go through to get consoles going after PC.

When XIV (which is available on PC and consoles alike) has a new patch, I give a 2-week spoiler embargo where spoilers are not discussed at all or kept in the spoiler thread. That's enough time for people to play and it keeps spoilers out for a little bit. However, spoilers can't be locked down forever. After those two weeks are up, people can talk freely and those wanting to avoid spoilers need to do so on their own. Only time the embargo is longer (usually a month or two) is when a brand new expansion comes out (such as the upcoming Dawntrail) cause it's way bigger than just a patch.

I've yet to have a complaint about this system as it is a happy medium for both sides. Forums should be even easier to avoid spoilers since anything 1.6 related should be tagged. You can literally also make a thread dedicated to 1.5 for console players. It's really not that difficult.

But TLDR: Both sides are valid in this. 1.6 people should be free to discuss the content, but those that don't have it should have a space of some kind to avoid spoilers and not be alienated. I hope that makes sense more?
That's fair. I give you a like. At least it's a try at a solution. Unfortunately, the solution is, and forgive the drama, but get used to conversations about parts of the game one is not able to participate in, or just go. Find someplace else. That stings, you know?
We're not gonna push out anybody from the community despite the excitement for new stuff.
No doubt in my mind that you mean that. But, will it happen anyway? Like organically, you know? Anyway, I honestly believe it can't be helped. I've come to terms with it. I'm gonna keep playing the game, likely keeping an eye on the forums. Maybe. It's no one's fault. I understand the frustrations of others and it seems like you do too, so good start, yeah?

Last edited:

ArtifactSpot

I just wanted to add, I play on console, and I feel like waiting a bit isn't that big of a deal. If you are really invested in the game, you shouldn't be complaining about a new update that just adds some new things. Enjoy the old stuff before it is changed. It's probably not that long before the update comes out, and I feel that removing SDV from console and mobile is not the solution. Lots of people may have a console or mobile but not a PC, so having those allows them to experience the game as well. If you would rather ruin that for thousands of people than wait a couple of weeks or months for the update, maybe don't play the game anymore. Like @Taluwen said, you can't expect everyone to cater to you just because YOU don't like that you have to wait. I have to wait, and others have to wait too, but most people don't complain. We are optimistic and I for one enjoy talking abt 1.6 with others, because I enjoy interacting with the other people on this platform. Not having the newest update is not going to ruin that for me.
But I’m mobile the wait is much much much longer for us. Like we don’t exist. We don’t get bug patches either. It’s just like quit offering something you can’t keep up with. CA admitted that HC won’t be on mobile cause it’s too much to deal with too many hoops and legal things to go through. Why not just cut ties with Stardew at 1.5 for us Miele and not drag us a long for the ride. And what you and a couple others keep ignoring it’s even different when you have disabilities that prevent other platforms. It’s hard. I can’t even travel 40 mins without the most severe pain. I can’t go anywhere or do anything or visit my family but once every now and then. I’ll never travel again I can’t sit in a wheelchair even to go places. I have a severe pelvic disorder. I have to lay in bed most all the day. I can barely care for myself most days, many i can’t. I’ve been going downhill since 33. Stardew has been a peaceful quaint relaxing outlet for me that I don’t have to spend a fortune on it was $5 US dollars once. Sorry for complaining some but until you walk the walk you can’t talk the talk. I know of one other individual here who does get it, a few others don’t but are kind anyways cause they have compassion and sympathy. There have been a lot of very rude, unkind people here, especially since they returned for the update. It’s just getting toxic here. But I miss the good times I had for the few months I had it. I don’t get to socialize but online or on the phone. It’s just so different than you and others portray me to be.

ArtifactSpot

Thank you so much for this! It means a lot!

ArtifactSpot

Because he wants more people to experience and have access to the game, the fact that an update comes a couple months later is completely different than the update being barred from certain devices completely. Nobody can control everything, that’s just a fact of life and accepting it is too, it’s a shame but he isn’t obligated to release any updates at all so honestly I wish people would just be happy with the hundreds of hours of extra free content they’ve gotten.
But mobile is SO different, the wait is SO much longer, and it’s all I can do. A touch screen.