Solved [Bug] Steam Stardew Valley Multiplayer on M1 Mac Hangs/Crashes

FreakyT

Farmhand
I've been observing this issue since January (I worked around it by just playing on my Win10 PC instead of my Mac laptop). However, my gf just got an M1 mac, and evidently the same issue still exists, as we're now having the same hang/crash problem on her end. (I had high hopes when I read that the "Mac multiplayer bug" had been fixed, but evidently it was a different Mac multiplayer bug.)

I've observed this bug with the following configurations:
  • M1 Macbook Air Host <-> Windows 10 PC Client
  • Windows 10 PC Host <-> M1 Macbook Air Client
  • M1 Macbook Air Host <-> M1 Macbook Air Client

Each time, the problem manifests in the same way -- everything appears to work (invite code appears for the host player), but after connecting, whichever player is using the Mac client will get the spinning rainbow wait cursor indefinitely. At that point, force quitting SDV is the only possible action.

Has anyone else tried multiplayer on SDV Steam version on an M1 Mac? Did it work correctly for you? Thanks!

sarbears22

Greenhorn
Yes!

Finally, someone has the same issue as me. It never happened as often as recently, and up until today I was able to host games and join games with no issue, with crashes maybe every hour or so (nothing major). Now, I can't even HOST a game as every time one of my friends joins my game freezes immediately and the spinning rainbow wheel comes up. I also can't even join my friends games because every-time I load into the character creation screen it crashes.

This is so painfully annoying, I can't find any solution. I hope the developer finds a patch for this.

Hope you find a fix, if you do let me know.

FreakyT

Farmhand
Seems we're not the only ones -- there's a few others reporting M1 Mac issues in this other thread:

https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-m1-mac-game-crashing-in-the-mine.4449/

Unfortunately Steam support for M1 is pretty bad -- apparently even the SteamWorks library doesn't offer an M1 version, so as far as I understand it's not even possible to build an M1 native game with support for Steam-specific features. Hoping that they can find a fix anyway though!

Diniden

Newcomer
The best work around is to do a connection via IP. So someone hosts, and the other joins a LAN game.

If you are on the same network (connect to the same router at the same house), you use the simple IP address (of the hosting player) you get by holding option + click your wifi icon at the top of the screen.

If you are on separate networks (connect to a host who may be at someone else's house or location), then you need to get the public IP of the host (google whats my IP), the host needs to have their local router set up port forwarding for the correct port of stardew (typically UDP port 24642).

FreakyT

Farmhand
Update: I tested this twice, using two different configurations. (All via "LAN" games, with the IP connection through a forwarded port.) It seems that connecting via IP does not fix this problem, sadly.

PC Host / Mac M1 Client: Mac Client crashed
Mac M1 Host / Mac M1 Client: Mac Host crashed

Both times Stardew crashed on the Macs. During the second crash (the host), I got the MacOS crash log, though I'm not sure if there's anything useful in it. Really hope they can find a fix for this!

Attachments

Update: I tested this twice, using two different configurations. (All via "LAN" games, with the IP connection through a forwarded port.) It seems that connecting via IP does not fix this problem, sadly.

PC Host / Mac M1 Client: Mac Client crashed
Mac M1 Host / Mac M1 Client: Mac Host crashed

Both times Stardew crashed on the Macs. During the second crash (the host), I got the MacOS crash log, though I'm not sure if there's anything useful in it. Really hope they can find a fix for this!
Y'all might want to give the Beta a try: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/stardew-valley-1-5-5-technical-update-beta.8893/
And, then report back in that thread if y'all still experience issues.

There's been a few reports on the modding side; by M1 Mac users with various bugs. And, for them; opting into the Beta helped fix their issues. It may help with the multiplayer as well.

Y'all might want to give the Beta a try: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/stardew-valley-1-5-5-technical-update-beta.8893/
And, then report back in that thread if y'all still experience issues.

There's been a few reports on the modding side; by M1 Mac users with various bugs. And, for them; opting into the Beta helped fix their issues. It may help with the multiplayer as well.
I noticed a lot of M1 Mac users who complained about bugs.
Can I quote from you?

lunafern

Newcomer
This issue has been occurring for me as well. My boyfriend and I tried to start a new co-op today and we tried invite codes and joining through steam friends. Every time my Windows PC has been fine, and my boyfriend's Mac Monterey has crashed or force-exited. Is there a known solution to this issue currently?

This issue has been occurring for me as well. My boyfriend and I tried to start a new co-op today and we tried invite codes and joining through steam friends. Every time my Windows PC has been fine, and my boyfriend's Mac Monterey has crashed or force-exited. Is there a known solution to this issue currently?
I presumed it was fixed after the official release came out. Other than that; I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

But, I'd recommend starting a new thread, and having your boyfriend post their crash log.
And at minimum, make sure y'all are both on the same version of SDV.

Log locations:
Windows:
%appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs
Mac: ~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs
Linux: ~/.local/share/StardewValley/ErrorLogs.