PC [Bug] Stardew Valley ignores changed gamepad buttons from Steam controller settings on Linux

Laulajatar

Newcomer
I'm having a weird problem (actually it's two of us stacked in a trenchcoat having this problem).

Between the two of us we have an XBox Controller, a cheap PS3 controller knockoff and a WiiU pro controller. We tried to switch some buttons around, for me specifically A and B buttons.
We're both on Linux, I own the game on GOG and just added it as a non-Steam game to Steam to test, they own it on Steam. We've been trying to get this to work for the last four hours. The games were not modded.

As long as I use the original XBox controller, this works fine. I went to Settings -> General Controller Settings, selected my controller and used "Define Layout" to swap those buttons.
It worked fine in Stardew Valley and another game (Friends of Mineral Town).

Did the same for my PS3 knockoff, and it works in FomT, but Stardew Valley completely ignores that I changed those buttons. Same for my friend with the Wii U controller.

I tried launching it from inside big picture mode, changing the game specific settings inside big picture mode, no luck.

I went over to Windows and tried it there, and it works.
I copied over my Windows Stardew install and launched it through wine and added *that* to Steam, and it still works.
Seems to me that the Linux version of Stardew is the issue.

OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 5.8.18-1-MANJARO with Nvidia GPU and drivers (They're on Arch with AMD)
Game: English, Single Player, latest Version (I would say 1.5.1 but the Linux GOG version refuses to identify itself as 1.5.1), unmodded

AddHomonym

Greenhorn
I also found that the Steam controller settings don't seem to change anything on Linux. I bought the game through Steam and have tried every method I can think of to change how the game interprets my Saitek P3200 gamepad. The controller mostly works, except the inventory selection continuously changes even when nothing is being pressed. I suspect it's because the Saitek has a single axis shared by both the left and right triggers. I would be content with remapping the inventory selection to use the shoulder buttons instead, but can't find a way to do it. I'm quite sure the Steam controller settings are set up properly and I see the "Config Loaded: Gamepad" propt when launching the game, but the game just seems to ignore that configuration and do it's own interpretation of my gamepad.

Game: 1.5.1