PC [BUG] Screen stuttering when walking!

makizmo

Greenhorn
My wife and I have been playing without any problems for the last week. She is using an older MacbookPro (13" 2012) and running the game on Steam.

Suddenly today, her screen has started stuttering whenever her character moves or the screen scrolls.
The menus seem fine and the cursor moves smoothly. The character's animations when for example, swinging a pickaxe, are fine as long as she is stationary.
When she tries to walk however, it makes the game unplayable.

We have tried running the game on both fullscreen and windowed modes.
We have tried varifying the game files on steam, and uninstalling and reinstalling without any luck.

Does anyone know what the problem is? We're out of ideas. :(

kohlrak

Farmhand
You sure it's not tearing?

If so, i need to know how bad the tearing is. Odds are, if mac has a screenshot button, you should be able to take a few screenshots while it's happening and we can see it, then. Might not work consistently every time, though. My guess is, it's a bigger deal when moving up and down, and less while moving east and west.

makizmo

Greenhorn
Hey kohlrak,
Thanks for your reply! - Nope, it's definitely not screen tearing. I know what you mean about tearing usually occuring when screens scroll but it's not that. The actual game stutters/freezes momentarily and the sprite skips from tile to tile. Kinda like rubberbanding, but it's not rubberbanding either.

kohlrak

Farmhand
Hey kohlrak,
Thanks for your reply! - Nope, it's definitely not screen tearing. I know what you mean about tearing usually occuring when screens scroll but it's not that. The actual game stutters/freezes momentarily and the sprite skips from tile to tile. Kinda like rubberbanding, but it's not rubberbanding either.
If there's vsync or something enabled, try disabling it. If i didn't know any better, i'd think it was loading things off screen from the disk. I can't see why that would be happening, though. Then again, i think i caught skyrim loading textures from disk on a per-frame basis, or trying to draw via LFB (using VESA or something). Is this an x86 mac, and can you verify the video drivers are working?

makizmo

Greenhorn
Seems to have gone for the time being, my wife thinks it could have been due to her hiragana keyboard setting but honestly I'm not sure what it was about. Hopefully it's fixed.

kohlrak

Farmhand
Seems to have gone for the time being, my wife thinks it could have been due to her hiragana keyboard setting but honestly I'm not sure what it was about. Hopefully it's fixed.
If it was, should be easily reproduceable. Just turn the IME back on.

I highly doubt that, too, though. A warning from my experience: if you don't find out how to make it happen again, to know exactly what it is, it will find it's way back into your life eventually, and might not take the same form.