Switch [BUG] Sam won't talk to me!

Twice now. When using the Forest Farm. Every time I try to talk to him (outside a special event) he will not engage.
I'm on a Switch. Version is 1.5.4.2
This happened before, a save file from early in the summer. The current save file is maybe 3 days old.
Using the Hilltop farm, Sam was his usual chatty self.
If there were more details on the start menu (choosing a file to open) I could better tell you details of the other 'broken' file. Happy to wade through all of them for more info if it would help.
Thanks.
: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Ereo

Helper
What happens when you try to talk to him?

Nothing or does he show an angry speech bubble?

He turns to face me but does not speak -- i.e. no dialog boxes, no other interaction indicated.

Although, he must have done at the very beginning because the initial "meet all your neighbors" was finished.
AND, don't know if this is related, but I just remembered... there was a request on the quest board outside Pierre's store.
I accepted it (a cute girl should bring him X item) but I think I failed to fulfill it.
(He's too easy going to hold a grudge for two years, right? ; ) )

Last edited:
oh, and i can 'gift' him and he responds as usual. And we have a one star relationship.
(you reminded me that in good bug detection, it's wise to have checked all the scenarios.)

and another scenario: he's standing at the bar in the saloon on W28...he does not respond and he doesn't even turn to look at me.
and by "me" I mean, the character in the game, of course. ; )

OMG, it's happening again. Only now i'm on PC having been tempted to try steam. Wilderness farm. no clue why or when, but Sam will not talk to me.

fair enough. ummm...
1 -- maybe someone should say something about that early on in the game (like Marnie) or there could be a warning on the wiki somewhere or, when choosing the name you could just be prevented from using an NPC name to start with.
2-- maybe someone could offer the option to change the pet's name somehow
i'm trying to go for perfection in this PC file, and i've spent a lot of time in it already.
i can still gift Sam and talk to him at festivals, but it's going to be really tedious getting to 8 hearts at the current rate.