Solved [BUG] One bait per treasure chest

Nic

Cowpoke
I only get 1 bait per chest with the exception of the first Sturgeon I caught I opened a chest of 15 bait, then back to 1 or double 1s. I'm only in Summer year 1, but my memory says it happened from the start of game. There is one short thread I found on Steam that suggested it happened immediately after level 6 fishing.
  • game version; Xbox Version 1.5.4.4
  • Platform; Xbox Series X
  • single-player
I've previously played extensively on PC and PS4 and not encountered this bug on either.

Thanks team... Best game ever!

Edit: I have replicated this bug on a new save. I fished on days 2, 3 and 4. Day 2 and 3 I received up to 15 bait per chest. On the night of day 3 I leveled to 5 fishing. After leveling (behind the scenes) to 6 fishing on day 4 I received only one bait per chest. This correlates with the steam post I had found.

I wonder if leveling fishing so fast causes this bug?!

Edit 2: I have again replicated this bug at level 6 fishing. This time I took 21 days to level fishing to 6, only leveling a max of 1 level per day. I also speced into the other skill tree (crab pots). So at least on my Xbox Series X it appears fishing level 6 causes this bug consistently.

Edit 3:
I have now replicated this bug for the fourth time:

I have deleted my saves, reinstalled the game and started a new. Again, from the moment I hit level 6 fishing during the day, when bait drops in a chest it is always 1 bait only, or two stacks of 1 bait.

I do not know coding, and I am aware of rng, so I have played multiple games late into the first year and all four games produced this bug. The issue is not so much that only one bait drops, it is more that chests can be useless with this bug making making the Pirate skill unattractive/pointless.

Last edited:

BlaDe

Farmer
Here is the relevant game code:
C#:
                    if (this.clearWaterDistance >= 4 && Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.1 && base.lastUser.FishingLevel >= 6)
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(687, 1));
                    }
                    else if (Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.25 && base.lastUser.craftingRecipes.ContainsKey("Wild Bait"))
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(774, 5 + ((Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.25) ? 5 : 0)));
                    }
                    else if (base.lastUser.FishingLevel >= 6)
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(685, 1));
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(685, 10));
                    }
                    break;
Bait is ID 685.

The 10 bait is only for when you are less than level 6.

There is also a very rare chance that nothing is put into a chest. If this happens, the game defaults to putting in 5, 10, or 15 bait.

Nic

Cowpoke
Here is the relevant game code:
C#:
                    if (this.clearWaterDistance >= 4 && Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.1 && base.lastUser.FishingLevel >= 6)
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(687, 1));
                    }
                    else if (Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.25 && base.lastUser.craftingRecipes.ContainsKey("Wild Bait"))
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(774, 5 + ((Game1.random.NextDouble() < 0.25) ? 5 : 0)));
                    }
                    else if (base.lastUser.FishingLevel >= 6)
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(685, 1));
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        treasures.Add(new Object(685, 10));
                    }
                    break;
Bait is ID 685.

The 10 bait is only for when you are less than level 6.

There is also a very rare chance that nothing is put into a chest. If this happens, the game defaults to putting in 5, 10, or 15 bait.
Thank you. I hear what you are saying, however I have now replicated this bug for the fourth time:

I have deleted my saves, reinstalled the game and started a new. Again, from the moment I hit level 6 fishing during the day, when bait drops in a chest it is always 1 bait only, or two stacks of 1 bait.

I do not know coding, and I am aware of rng, so I have played multiple games late into the first year all all four games produced this bug.

imnvs

Local Legend
Thank you. I hear what you are saying, however I have now replicated this bug for the fourth time:

I do not know coding, and I am aware of rng, so I have played multiple games late into the first year all all four games produced this bug.
I think what @BlaDe was saying, though, is that it appears to be intentional.

BlaDe

Farmer

It is explicitly coded this way. Once you hit level 6, chests that would give you 10 bait now only give 1.