Switch [BUG] No coal from stones

DogeUsedWow

Greenhorn
Hi there,

On my 1.5.4 switch file, singleplayer, no coal drops from stone. I'm currently at level 20 in the mine and mined pretty much every stone possible up until now. The ones on the farm also don't seem to drop any. The only way I've been getting some is through Clint and minecarts. Is this bug and if so is it fixable? Thanks in advance!

MissDandy

Farmer
I play on the switch as well and haven't come across this issue but maybe some other switch players have, but my first question would be how far along are you in the game, and what is your mining level at? When I fist started, finding coal was really difficult. I may have some answers depending on your mining level and experience, but I don't want to give any spoilers yet incase you don't want them.

DogeUsedWow

Greenhorn
I play on the switch as well and haven't come across this issue but maybe some other switch players have, but my first question would be how far along are you in the game, and what is your mining level at? When I fist started, finding coal was really difficult. I may have some answers depending on your mining level and experience, but I don't want to give any spoilers yet incase you don't want them.
My mining level on this save file is 2 and I'm around day 12 of spring year 1. I've had a game with mining level 8 in year 2 on PC. I never had coal be so rare, not a single drop from any stone. What would you suggest?

Ereo

Helper
I'm not sure how high the probability is too find coal, but it always feels extremely rare in the beginning. So I'm not sure this is a bug, you might have simply had bad luck.

Daily luck also plays a role in the availability of coal. Did you pay attention to luck on your mining days?

MissDandy

Farmer
My mining level on this save file is 2 and I'm around day 12 of spring year 1. I've had a game with mining level 8 in year 2 on PC. I never had coal be so rare, not a single drop from any stone. What would you suggest?
So depending on what profession you chose when you get to level 5 and 10, you may or may not find more coal. There is a profession at level 10 that really starts to let you get coal, but I would say that in the first year when you're not super high level, coal is just really rare. While you're in year one, Clint sells coal for cheap (which is still kind of expensive in year one) but the price increases in year 2. If you're really desperate, save up some cash from crops and buy a few lumps from him. Otherwise, it just takes a little time and levelling up. I believe it also gets more common once you get past level 50 in the mines, but I'm not sure. Good luck finding some!

DogeUsedWow

Greenhorn
I found 4 coal in rocks after a long day of mining, currently mining lvl 4! Guess I was just really unlucky. Never really paid attention to the fortune tv show but I maybe should from now on. Thanks for the replies!

imnvs

Local Legend
If you're short of coal go hunting levels 41-79 in the mines and kill dust sprites.
While you're in year one, Clint sells coal for cheap (which is still kind of expensive in year one) but the price increases in year 2. If you're really desperate, save up some cash from crops and buy a few lumps from him.
Actually, in year 1 it is cheaper to buy wood (10 wood = 100g) from Robin and turn it into coal in the kiln yourself than it is to buy it from Clint (1 coal = 150g). Due to the price increases for both, however, in year 2 and later it is cheaper to buy coal directly from Clint (250g) than it is to buy the wood from Robin (500g).

MissDandy

Farmer
If you're short of coal go hunting levels 41-79 in the mines and kill dust sprites.

Actually, in year 1 it is cheaper to buy wood (10 wood = 100g) from Robin and turn it into coal in the kiln yourself than it is to buy it from Clint (1 coal = 150g). Due to the price increases for both, however, in year 2 and later it is cheaper to buy coal directly from Clint (250g) than it is to buy the wood from Robin (500g).
This does make a lot of sense but I never personally considered it because it seems a little timely and you do have to get your hands on a kiln (which I know isn't difficult but still) and I've always been one for convenience rather than cost. I do think though that for players who don't mind doing a little more processing and need to save up in year one, it's a great option.