Solved [Bug] Infinity Blade only rotates between Haymaker and Bug Killer

Zamiel

Sodbuster
Hello and thanks so much for the free update to Stardew Valley.

Bug report:
I have upgraded my Infinity Blade over and over at the Forge with a Prismatic Shard, with the intent to get it to be Crusader.
However, instead of rotating through all of the possible enhancements, it only rotates between Haymaker and Bug Killer.

I am on version 1.5.1.

My save file is attached so that you can reproduce the issue. Let me know if you need any other information.

This was extremely frustrating, as I wasted a ton of Prismatic Shards for no reason.

Edit - I think it might have something to do with the fact that I have one Infinity Sword and one Galaxy Sword. Perhaps the rotating code that you wrote does not account for the fact that you can have two of the same weapon?

Attachments

Last edited:
According to this predictor, you're just having bad luck. Upload your savefile (the one not ended in _old), go to Enchantments tab, and check:
  1. The focused row is the next enchantment that will be applied (number 16). Hover on the (...) on the Weapon column to get more details and follow my reasoning.
  2. The line 16 says that, if weapon is not enchanted to Artful or Bug Killer, it will be enchanted with Bug Killer. Else, it will get Vampiric. In your save, the infinity sword is not enchanted, so it gets Bug Killer. So far, so good.
  3. Next line, 17, basically will give Haymaker except if it is Haymaker. So, Haymaker it is.
  4. Next line, 18, from Haymaker to Bug Killer. Huh...
  5. ...You get the point. Your seed is actually flipping between those two enchantments for a while. It doesn't change until line 25, where it goes from Bug Killer to Artful. That's 10 prismatic shards until you get out of the loop. Gonna guess you didn't try more than nine.
In fact, if you want Crusader, you gotta spend just one more shard, for a total of 11! (in line 26, it goes from Artful to Crusader).

That's if you focus on only enchanting the Infinity Sword continuously. Given that the enchantment depends on a) The number of times you've ever enchanted something in the savefile, and b) The current enchantment on the tool/weapon you're enchanting, there may be other order to enchant to get to what you want, if you're willing to enchant other tools to progress on the table.

For example, a quick look at the table tells me that, if you have your Infinity Sword enchanted with Haymaker when you reach row 19, it will go to Crusader. So:
  1. Enchant first your Infinity Sword once to get it to Bug Killer.
  2. Another time to get it to Haymaker.
  3. Enchant literally anything else, even another weapon, but not the Infinity Sword. Let it keep the Haymaker enchantment. You can always buy any cheap weapon on the Adventurer's Guild if you don't want to change your tools' enchantments.
  4. Now, enchant the Infinity Sword, and it will go from Haymaker to Crusader.
  5. Final cost: 4 Prismatic Shards and another, unrelated tool/weapon enchanted.
If you're interested in what enchantment you'll get in the random tool you need to enchant, check the row 18 in your predictor, hovering on the (...). Maybe you even get something you like for the tool!

EDIT(2021/01/12): Maybe I should point out that the predictor I mentioned earlier is not updated to account for 1.5.2 changes, and they explicitly mention they may get rid of the enchantment section given that, being now dependent of the enchanting history of the target tool, is now substantially more complicated to show the correct predictions in a user-friendly way.
The version 1.5.2 patch changed the mechanics to exclude the last two enchantments on an item from the possible results rather than just the current enchantment. The predictor has not yet been updated for this change and it might be complicated enough that enchantment predictions wind up being removed in a later version.

Last edited:

Zamiel

Sodbuster
Interesting. The fact that it swaps between two specific enhancements nine times suggests that something is broken with the algorithm, does it not?

BlaDe

Farmer
Interesting. The fact that it swaps between two specific enhancements nine times suggests that something is broken with the algorithm, does it not?
RNG be like that sometimes. The billboard gets a cycle of a help wanted quest every two days, but it is not explicitly coded that way.

Maybe I should point out that the predictor I mentioned earlier is not updated to account for 1.5.2 changes, and they explicitly mention they may get rid of the enchantment section given that, being now dependent of the enchanting history of the target tool, is now substantially more complicated to show the correct predictions in a user-friendly way.
The version 1.5.2 patch changed the mechanics to exclude the last two enchantments on an item from the possible results rather than just the current enchantment. The predictor has not yet been updated for this change and it might be complicated enough that enchantment predictions wind up being removed in a later version.

Quirinea

Farmer
This should be resolved with a change in 1.5.2! Please mention if it's still an issue for you!
I was trying to get "Reaching" for water can. "Bottomless", Efficient", Bottomless"... I run out of shards. And I counted on that "keeps track of the last two". My version is 1.5.4.

I do have a lot of mods running (and the first thing I checked was that there wasn't a typo in the Finnish translation mod I was testing.At least "Enchantment Names" was correct"), but none of them deals with weapons or tools.

BlueCat

Newcomer
I'm currently having this issue when playing on the switch. I've gone through dozens of prismatic shards at this point and only get Haymakers and Bug Killer, sometimes vampiric.