PC [BUG] Game won't launch with GoG Galaxy on MacOS; installing SMAPI makes it run, but no 'Invite Code' option in multiplayer. (updated after hotfix)

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
This bug report is a more official version of my help request

Following the 1.5.5 update, the GoG version of the game doesn't run. This happens on my Intel Macbook running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and also on another person's M1 Macbook with macOS Monterey 12.1 (the most up-to-date version). The specific version of Stardew that I have in GoG is 1.5.5.1835528477.

Installing SMAPI makes the game launch, but the multiplayer option to join a game with an Invite Code doesn't appear. However, that doesn't seem to be a problem with Steam users.

In my previous post, I was also able to make Stardew run by making "Stardew Valley.app"/Contents/MacOS/"Stardew Valley" executable by running chmod +x on it from the terminal. However, the Invite Code problem still persists.

Also, I've just noticed that Stardew doesn't seem to communicate with GoG. Even though I managed to play yesterday, GoG says the last time I played was 5 days ago.

Last edited:

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
Problem persists following the 1.5.5 hotfix. I did a complete reinstall and the game wouldn't run again. However, running this command in the terminal got it to run.

Bash:
chmod +x /Applications/Stardew\ Valley.app/Contents/MacOS/"Stardew Valley"
However, if you installed it anywhere that isn't the /Applications folder, then this won't work for you. You'll have to find the location of the Stardew Valley.app and adjust the path accordingly.

Also, the Invite Code option is still not available in multiplayer.

ascii7

Sodbuster
I ran into the same problem with the macOS version not launching after updating through GOG Galaxy. Here's how I got everything working again. Hope it will work for you.

The .PKG installer is available in Galaxy under the "Extras" tab on the SDV game page. They call it the "Offline backup installer".

The fix seems to hold for subsequent updates. A hot fix automatically downloaded through Galaxy last night, and everything ran fine.

ascii7

Sodbuster
My fix didn't seem to do anything about invite codes though. It just gets the game running again.

Glowstone

Greenhorn
Problem persists following the 1.5.5 hotfix. I did a complete reinstall and the game wouldn't run again. However, running this command in the terminal got it to run.

Bash:
chmod +x /Applications/Stardew\ Valley.app/Contents/MacOS/"Stardew Valley"
However, if you installed it anywhere that isn't the /Applications folder, then this won't work for you. You'll have to find the location of the Stardew Valley.app and adjust the path accordingly.

Also, the Invite Code option is still not available in multiplayer.
I have almost no experience with the game having just bought it but I couldn't launch it via GOG either (on macOS 11.6). Just 'synced' and didn't launch. I tried your terminal command and it worked just find after that. And also--for the first time--the two gamepad controllers just worked. Which I don't understand since 1.5.6 hot fix was supposed to have that gamepad fix, but the version running is still 1.5.5.

Anyway, thank you @SpookSeville !

! SOLVED THE CASE OF MISSING INVITE CODE ! ...for GOG

Hi all,

after many hours searching all over the internet my boyfriend crack the case! -> Open Stardew Valley in GOG, click to the option button next to play. Then click to "Manage installation" and "Configure". Finally, set "Beta channels" to "Compatibillity" and there you have it!

I hope that helped you :)

Attachments

micco

Newcomer
! SOLVED THE CASE OF MISSING INVITE CODE ! ...for GOG

Hi all,

after many hours searching all over the internet my boyfriend crack the case! -> Open Stardew Valley in GOG, click to the option button next to play. Then click to "Manage installation" and "Configure". Finally, set "Beta channels" to "Compatibillity" and there you have it!

I hope that helped you :)
Thank you!! I made an account just to thank you for your service. :D