Mac [HELP] [macOS 10.15.7] Stardew Valley won't launch

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
Went to play Stardew today and the game wouldn't launch. Saw that it had updated since I played last (Nov 28th). I've tried running the game both as stand-alone and through GoG Galaxy.

So far I've tried installing mono, and when that didn't work, the .NET 5 run time. I also tried running the game via the command line and get 'permission denied', even when I try to run it with sudo.

I've run out of ideas. Hopefully somebody here can help.

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
So I tried something... unintuitive. I followed the directions here to install SMAPI because I wanted to see the logs (they didn't show anything useful). After following the instructions in step 4, I went to launch the game from GoG Galaxy and it opened. However, I didn't have access to the online co-op using an invite code. It only showed 'join LAN game'.

When I uninstalled SMAPI, the game would no longer launch.

So anybody on macOS with the same problem might be able to use this as a temporary solution for singleplayer, but it didn't solve my problem.

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
I continued to poke around with the terminal. I went into the Stardew Valley.app and, in the Contents/MacOS folder, found the bash script 'StardewValley' that appears to check the macOS version and then load the game. The last line was ./"Stardew Valley" $@

So I looked at the contents of the folder and saw there was indeed another file called 'Stardew Valley' (note the space between the words compared to the script). I did a chmod +x "Stardew Valley" to make it executable. When I tried to open the game via the command line (./"Stardew Valley"), I was surprised to see it open. And it spewed out this:

NoFpsCap: This feature is not available
setGameMode( 'titleScreenGameMode (0)' )
loadPreferences(); begin - languageCode=
savePreferences(); async=False, languageCode=en
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver init failed .
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() did not locate a running instance of Steam.
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Could not determine Steam client install directory.
System.InvalidOperationException: Steamworks is not initialized.
at Steamworks.InteropHelp.TestIfAvailableClient()
at StardewValley.SDKs.SteamHelper.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\1\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SDKs\SteamHelper.cs:line 142
loadPreferences(); begin - languageCode=
savePreferences(); async=False, languageCode=en
loadPreferences(); begin - languageCode=en
Window_ClientSizeChanged(); Window.ClientBounds={X:0 Y:0 Width:1440 Height:900}
Disconnected: ClosedGame
zsh: killed ./"Stardew Valley"
I also ran the game successfully via the icon in my Applications folder, and also through GoG Galaxy.

However, there was still no option in co-op to Enter Invite Code, which there used to be when running the game through GoG Galaxy.

Last edited:

freakytree

Greenhorn
I continued to poke around with the terminal. I went into the Stardew Valley.app and, in the Contents/MacOS folder, found the bash script 'StardewValley' that appears to check the macOS version and then load the game. The last line was ./"Stardew Valley" $@

So I looked at the contents of the folder and saw there was indeed another file called 'Stardew Valley' (note the space between the words compared to the script). I did a chmod +x "Stardew Valley" to make it executable. When I tried to open the game via the command line (./"Stardew Valley"), I was surprised to see it open. And it spewed out this:

I also ran the game successfully via the icon in my Applications folder, and also through GoG Galaxy.

However, there was still no option in co-op to Enter Invite Code, which there used to be when running the game through GoG Galaxy.
did you ever figure this out? I'm getting the exact same behaviour. I'm on MacOS Monteray 12.1. Same weird thing that it opens only when i have SMAPI installed and then without "Enter Invite Code". Super weird

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
did you ever figure this out? I'm getting the exact same behaviour. I'm on MacOS Monteray 12.1. Same weird thing that it opens only when i have SMAPI installed and then without "Enter Invite Code". Super weird
Not really. Once I was at least able to get the game running, my friend and I wound up having to setup a LAN connection instead.

That involved:
1. Setup a static IP on their PC (they're the one hosting the farm)
2. Configure port forwarding on their modem to send TCP/UDP traffic on port 24642 to their (now static) IP
3. Find their public IP (I usually just google 'what is my ip' and it comes up)
3. In my game, go to co-op and enter their public IP in the LAN connection

The host may have to enable IP connections in their game settings once on the farm.

I'm hoping the Invite Code option comes back after a patch.

freakytree

Greenhorn
Not really. Once I was at least able to get the game running, my friend and I wound up having to setup a LAN connection instead.

That involved:
1. Setup a static IP on their PC (they're the one hosting the farm)
2. Configure port forwarding on their modem to send TCP/UDP traffic on port 24642 to their (now static) IP
3. Find their public IP (I usually just google 'what is my ip' and it comes up)
3. In my game, go to co-op and enter their public IP in the LAN connection

The host may have to enable IP connections in their game settings once on the farm.

I'm hoping the Invite Code option comes back after a patch.
that... is not ideal :grin: I honestly wonder if it's a Gog issue, though might be a Monterey. All my friends on Steam with M1 Macs in Big Sur are working fine. My difference is Gog and Monterey.

SpookSeville

Cowpoke
that... is not ideal :grin: I honestly wonder if it's a Gog issue, though might be a Monterey. All my friends on Steam with M1 Macs in Big Sur are working fine. My difference is Gog and Monterey.
I was also thinking it might be a GoG problem. I'm sure you noticed before that starting the game outside GoG Galaxy (ie. from the Stardew Valley app itself) wouldn't show the Invite Code option in co-op. But now even starting it inside of GoG Galaxy doesn't show the Invite Code option.

I hesitated to make a bug report in case it was only a me issue (especially since my Macbook is considered obsolete by Apple), but the situation may warrant one now.

freakytree

Greenhorn
I was also thinking it might be a GoG problem. I'm sure you noticed before that starting the game outside GoG Galaxy (ie. from the Stardew Valley app itself) wouldn't show the Invite Code option in co-op. But now even starting it inside of GoG Galaxy doesn't show the Invite Code option.

I hesitated to make a bug report in case it was only a me issue (especially since my Macbook is considered obsolete by Apple), but the situation may warrant one now.
Yeah do it - it's happening with a really up to date mac too :)

kimberley.w016

Newcomer
I'm also having this problem with the game running but the game doesn't actually pop up or open. And I'm running Big Sur version 11.6 - today is the first day it wouldn't open. I played yesterday and it was fine so I don't know what the problem is : /

freakytree

Greenhorn
@kimberley.w016 and @SpookSeville - I logged a support ticket with Gog support and they gave me a temp fix, which seems to work. I can see Join via Invite Code now, though i haven't tried to play yet. The below is from gog support:
There is a known issue with the newest builds and it is currently being worked on.

Please as a workaround please could you try using the alternative branch for the game?

Please go into the Customize button right from the Play button ->Manage installation->Configure -> Installation
In the Beta channels dropdown please select the "compatibility" one
unnamed.png