Switch [BUG] 1.5 Feast of the Winter Star crash

Odin

Staff member
I am also having this issue on the Switch, I am in year 4, gave my gift to Robin, and then error message. I was hoping to 100 percent the game but this is stopping me. Wondering if my special gift person is Leo, who is not in Pelican Town yet? Not sure.
Although this is a frustrating bug, it shouldn't prevent you from progressing in the game as you can skip any event by simply not attending. And I don't believe you'll need to participate in this event for any achievements or other significant game progress, unless I'm forgetting something.

Again, this bug is obviously affecting a fair number of people and any crash is a significant problem, I just wanted to mention you should be able to continue playing that save.

Kisrin

Greenhorn
I'm on the Switch in Year 3, tried to give a gift to Abigail and it keeps crashing. Didn't have this problem in year 1 or 2. And yes I know I can skip the event but I really want that tea set and it's an event exclusive.

Last edited:

Knithacker

Greenhorn
Yep. On switch and game crashed on winter 25 giving a gift to Sebastian on year 4 two times in a row. Someone else mentioned they had a Qi quest going. Probably not relevant but I do too.

Drassielle

Newcomer
Bumping this thread. On the Switch, getting the same crash as others. Year 3 when trying to give a gift to Emily. I'm not sure if it matters, but I started the day on ginger island and entered the town from the west.

Winter Breeze

Newcomer
I ran into this bug on the Switch too. I think it happens when the person you're getting a gift for is also the person who's getting a gift for you. (Evidence: the second time it happened, I talked to everyone else at the festival before approaching Jas with my gift. None of the other people gave me a gift.)

chocof0x

Greenhorn
Bumping to add that I just encountered this glitch on my Switch playthrough. This has never happened to me before across multiple saves but I am currently on Year 2 and I tried three times to give my gift, and every time they accept it and the screen goes to transition the game hard crashes to the Switch home screen. I tried doing it in a different order, such as talking to everyone before giving the gift and also tried giving the gift first. I tried giving a different gift entirely.

I also had an instance of the game crashing while I was dying clothes the other day but I don't know if it's related; it is a weird coincidence considering in 500+ hours I've never had this happen. If it helps at all I have a Qi quest active but no other quests, and I've checked to make sure everything is up to date software-wise. I also tried giving a Winter Star gift again after fully rebooting my Switch and got the same crash. I guess I'll just skip the event but it just sucks that I have to. :sweat: I hope this is something that gets looked into soon as now I'm feeling paranoid that my game is just gonna crash at random.

Qille

Newcomer
I just encountered this bug for the first time (Switch lite, year 1, George, tried to give him a leek twice, crashed after thanks etc.). After reading all the other comments I really think the issue is that my gift giver was Leo, who I had met but wasn’t in town yet. I’m curious if everyone else who had this crash had unlocked Ginger Island but hadn’t moved Leo to town yet, and got unlucky enough to have him be their gift giver. Hope this helps fix the issue, cheers! <3

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, look, everyone... you need to read what's gone on in this thread if you want this fixed, not just post that you're seeing it too. (This includes people posting new threads like @bperry1400 , tagged only so they'll come to this thread and read this response in order to understand what is going on.)

(1.5 spoilers coming:) The prevailing understanding is that this is caused by Leo being the person that is supposed to give you a gift... but he hasn't moved in to town yet. If this is to be properly understood, people need to include this information when posting about this issue. Has Leo moved to town yet?

Qi quests, what year it is and who you're supposed to give a gift to are distractions at this point. If you are experiencing this problem, at this stage, just tell us if Leo has moved to town yet and what platform you're playing on.
Is this gonna happen every year or is it just this year specific?
As far as we can tell, it is gift-giver specific. In a particular year your gift giver will remain constant, so it is also in a sense year specific... but that's correlation without causation. The true cause is the gift-giver. This means that in a particular year, if you experience this bug it will not go away by resetting the day and trying again... but it does mean that the following year you're probably fine.

Also, if you can use MouseyPounds' predictor (link: here) you can see if Leo is your gift-giver to better inform. And yes, I know a lot of the folks running into this are Switch players that can't use the predictor or check-up, but those on other platforms seeing this can help to laser-focus the attention on the true cause if they can verify that Leo was their gift-giver.

NetherNight

Newcomer
I’m also playing on the Switch, year three and Leo has not moved to town yet. Didn’t know that was going to happen either. Tried giving a gift and after they accepted it blacks out to the error screen.

I’m guessing if it’s important whether or not Leo moved to town then he was my secret gift giver and that’s why it crashed? I don’t mind skipping the event this time but I mostly just want to know if anyone has had issues with it every year or not.

Paladroon

Newcomer
My wife and in both have Elliott for the festival in our MP save on Year 3. I can give him a gift without issue but it crashes for my wife every time after giving the gift.tried several times so we’re just skipping this year. Hopefully it doesn’t happen every year after.

imnvs

Local Legend
My wife and in both have Elliott for the festival in our MP save on Year 3. I can give him a gift without issue but it crashes for my wife every time after giving the gift.tried several times so we’re just skipping this year. Hopefully it doesn’t happen every year after.
It won't. It is most likely because her gift-giver was Leo who hasn't moved to town yet. All you need to do is find him and make good-enough friends with him and then you will never see the results of this bug again.

...so far as we can tell. We're still trying to narrow things down though, so this is another of my occasional requests of those coming to pile on this issue:

Please, for the love of whatever god you call holy, if you can use the predictor (found at: this link) and are experiencing this bug, please check to see if Leo is supposed to be the one giving you a gift and include that information here in this thread.

Nattis0514

Newcomer
I'm playing on Xbox and I got this bug. I got it first last year, when I tried to give Marnie a gift the game would crash on me. I soon gave up and just slept through the festival. But now I have played through another year and when I tried to give Haley a gift the game crashed on me again. I don't know if it's supposed to happen again. I can skip the festival again this year and hope it works next year but I wouldn't want it to continue bugging out every year. Just thought I should share it!

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm playing on Xbox and I got this bug. I got it first last year, when I tried to give Marnie a gift the game would crash on me. I soon gave up and just slept through the festival. But now I have played through another year and when I tried to give Haley a gift the game crashed on me again. I don't know if it's supposed to happen again. I can skip the festival again this year and hope it works next year but I wouldn't want it to continue bugging out every year. Just thought I should share it!
Complete the Community Center, repair Willy's boat and get to Ginger Island. Then make friends with Leo. Tell us if it keeps happening.