Mac [BUG] 1.5.6 update won't launch on compatibility mode

sokokaleb

Greenhorn
Since updating to 1.5.6, SDV won't launch on my 2014 MBP El Capitan (10.11.6) device on Steam: It showed "Running" on Steam, but nothing appears, and then it just closes itself after a few seconds (crash?). Tried restarting, reinstalling the game, switching back-and-forth between normal and compatibility mode, but with no luck. It worked normally on 1.5.5. Any ideas how to solve the issue?

sokokaleb

Greenhorn
Tried running the game from terminal, and found these logged:

NoFpsCap: This feature is not available
setGameMode( 'titleScreenGameMode (0)' )
loadPreferences(); begin - languageCode=
savePreferences(); async=False, languageCode=en
gameMode was 'titleScreenGameMode (0)', set to 'errorLogMode (11)'.
gameMode was 'errorLogMode (11)', set to 'playingGameMode (3)'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.MissingMethodException: Method 'SteamUtils.IsSteamRunningOnSteamDeck' not found.
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Initialize () <0x111684160 + 0x00073> in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize () <0x10f737ba0 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run (GameRunBehavior runBehavior) <0x10f737790 + 0x000b8> in <filename unknown>:0
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run () <0x10f737720 + 0x0002d> in <filename unknown>:0
at StardewValley.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x105eb5fd0 + 0x000f8> in <filename unknown>:0
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

I have another OS X device (2015 MBP Monterey) and it ALSO has the same issue ONLY in compatibility mode; switching it to normal/non-compatibility mode doesn't lead to the same issue. Seems the issue is specific to the compatibility mode in 1.5.6 update?

I can't switch to normal/non-compatibility mode in my 2014 MBP as it's stuck to 10.11 (Catalina); keen to see if there's any workaround or fix to this issue :)

Mr. Podunkian

Sodbuster
Hey, thanks for the report -- we'd seen some people reporting issues with 1.5.6 on Mac, but hadn't had the error log to help us pinpoint it. I'm working on a fix for this now and should have it hotfixed sometime today.