Better Balance

Better Balance 1.2.5

Xen0nex

Tiller
Xen0nex submitted a new resource:

Better Balance - Rebalances many item prices to make more option viable, and also tone down "overpowered" ones.

I just finished my first foray into published mods:

Better Balance

A simple but wide-ranging rebalancing of prices for various farm produce, among other things Better Balance aims to:
  • Expand the variety of viable options for crops & animals through improving underperforming options
  • Extend the early/mid-game by greatly reducing "maximum" income without being too punishing,
  • Make Animals...
Read more about this resource...

Xen0nex

Tiller

Xen0nex

Tiller
Xen0nex updated Better Balance with a new update entry:

Better Balance updates to v1.2.0!

Better Balance v1.2.0 is released!

This now includes SMAPI functionality (which can be disabled in the config) and mainly streamlines all the previous compatibility patches. Now it should all be handled automatically, no need for additional downloads or manually replacing other files! (In particular, if you had been using the SVE Jojamart fix file, you can safely just leave SVE's file there now)

As a bonus, with the SMAPI additions I am now able to alter some of the hard-coded...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Tom

Rancher
Does this have a net effect of making the game slower, longer, harder? In other words, is it harder to get the golden clock, for example?

Xen0nex

Tiller
Xen0nex updated Better Balance with a new update entry:

Better Balance 1.2.2 is released

Better Balance v1.2.2 update

This update has a bit more in it than usual:

• All the following balancing changes should be reflected in the updated Individual Overviews? article. The article has also been updated with more comprehensive charts, showing things like top Greenhouse crops, all-season crops/trees, Tiller, Artisan, some quality fertilizers, etc.

• I've also added notes to the article on how...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Xen0nex

Tiller
Does this have a net effect of making the game slower, longer, harder? In other words, is it harder to get the golden clock, for example?
Hi, sorry for the huge delay; I only just realized that replies don't seem to show up on the "Overview" page.

To answer your question, I would say that it probably slows down how quickly you get money / can get the golden clock. If you compare the maximum profits/day you can earn with crops or animals, then Better Balance only gets you about ~40% or ~30% of the maximum you could get in Vanilla. However, if you were playing sub-optimally in Vanilla (ie, not growing all Artisan Kegged Deluxe Speed-Gro Ancient Fruit + Starfruit & Hops, or all Botanist + Gatherer Pigs) then it can be a little up in the air.
For example, if you have been growing lots of "bad" crops in Vanilla like Rice, Tomatoes, Corn, & Eggplants, then in Better Balance you could be making around twice as much money as in Vanilla.

So in short, it is harder to "power through" and make tons of money since now there are no crazy-OP options like vanilla Ancient Fruit, Hops, Starfruit, Pigs, etc. But at the same time, it is harder to "accidentally" have a poorly performing farm, since there are no crazy-low options like vanilla Corn anymore either.

Extending the early/mid game to delay how quickly you can get things like the Golden Clock was definitely one of the goals of the mod. However, you can also easily edit the prices yourself if you prefer getting money more quickly.

Last edited:
So I took a look at the figures in here. First, congrats on publishing a mod, and I respect and appreciate the efforts you put in to make this! Clearly a lot of thought was given to the end results desired. I do have feedback on the particulars if you want it. If not, no worries!

Xen0nex

Tiller
So I took a look at the figures in here. First, congrats on publishing a mod, and I respect and appreciate the efforts you put in to make this! Clearly a lot of thought was given to the end results desired. I do have feedback on the particulars if you want it. If not, no worries!
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Since "balanced" can end up pretty subjective, the "default" settings for Better Balance are based on what "feels" right for me so far, though hopefully I've made it easy enough for others to modify the prices themselves with the .jsons.

That said, I've definitely been tweaking some of the values now and then, and sometimes peoplepoint out things or factors I hadn't considered, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and take that into consideration.