Best Crops

shelbygrimes

Greenhorn
Hey everyone! As someone who has played Stardew Valley for several years now, I still see people with differing opinions on the best crops in the current game. I wanted to create this thread to see what everyone's opinions are on the subject and to provide those who are newer to the game with our knowledge!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cptldsilver

Planter
My favorite crop is beets because it's very underrated. I've realized after a lot of playtime that there is no best crop and that every crop has its uses depending on how your playing.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Farmer
Heh. Define "best". What are your goals? What do you like? What makes you happy? :love:
  • The weekend farmer in Year 2+ likes to make millions with Greenhouse and indoor Ancient Fruit
  • The daily farmer in Year 2.5+ likes to make even more with Greenhouse Peach/Pomegranate and Hops infilled with Ancient Fruit.
  • The fledgling gentleman farmer in Y1 Summer likes to put his early Foraging->Tapping foresight to use making 160+ Pale Ale per week (40+ Kegs).
  • The new greenhouse owner in Y1 Fall likes to extend his Pale Ale fun with Hops infilled with Starfruit (and snowballing Ancient Fruit).
  • The fledgling Ancient Fruit snowballer in Y2 Spring likes Rhubarb! And in Summer he likes Starfruit!
Number crunching here.

I personally like to use this one as I can base my decision around where I am in the game and what tools I have available (artisan)
Yeah. Great tool!

Last edited:
Heh. Define "best". What are your goals? What do you like? What makes you happy? :love:
  • The weekend farmer in Year 2+ likes to make millions with Greenhouse and indoor Ancient Fruit
  • The daily farmer in Year 2.5+ likes to make even more with Greenhouse Peach/Pomegranate and Hops infilled with Ancient Fruit.
  • The fledgling gentleman farmer in Y1 Summer likes to put his early Foraging->Tapping foresight to use making 160+ Pale Ale per week (40+ Kegs).
  • The new greenhouse owner in Y1 Fall likes to extend his Pale Ale fun with Hops infilled with Starfruit (and snowballing Ancient Fruit).
  • The fledgling Ancient Fruit snowballer in Y2 Spring likes Rhubarb! And in Summer he likes Starfruit!
Number crunching here.

Yeah. Great tool!
Is the author of that tool still around? I realize it looks good, and is useful. But I would like to see it updated for 1.5 when that comes out and the numbers fixed.

I would like to discuss some either formula changes or term changes since "profit" is actually revenue - cost, and for the daily profit or loss I would prefer to see the math exclude non growing days, since those days can be used for growing something else.

I've done a bunch of work in excell but it can't be considered programming and maybe this would be a platform to port some of the calculations I would like to see over to. But in answer to the OP.
Strawberries in the ground in Spring outside. Pomegranate trees, hops, star fruit and ancient fruit in the greenhouse, melons in the spring and pumpkins in the fall.

Potatoes

Farmer
I hardly ever grow Hops, are they worth a decent amount (alone or as pale ale)? Also I really like growing tomatoes and corn and pumpkins. I also find blueberries satisfying to pick.

Tom

Farmer
Is the author of that tool still around? ... I would like to see it updated ... numbers fixed. ... I would like to discuss ... maybe this would be a platform to port some of the calculations....
Yes! See this thread. Spreadsheet collaboration - Let's do it, people! And I contributed that sheet. Just get editing privileges and fix it. Also, yes! Contribute sheets. Peer review rocks!

I hardly ever grow Hops, are they worth a decent amount (alone or as pale ale)? Also I really like growing tomatoes and corn and pumpkins. I also find blueberries satisfying to pick.
I am a non-drinker. I am a Mormon. So I ate my Hops the first couple of times around. It's great energy. Scratch that; it's great stuff, because it costs nearly nothing and it repeats every day. The factual truth is Pale Ale has the game's highest profit per square per month except Peach/Pomegranate if you infill around them with other things once mature. The limiting factor to Pale Ale is Kegs and daily harvesting. Of course the limiting factors to fruit trees are lead time and spacing. The spreadsheet I linked is oriented toward the greenhouse, and the Big Three crops I list there are all very lucrative in the long run. Things like Pumpkin (a little less than half the gross of Starfruit, the laggard among the big three) aren't too shabby either, but they aren't the Big Three.

Potatoes

Farmer
Yes! See this thread. Spreadsheet collaboration - Let's do it, people! And I contributed that sheet. Just get editing privileges and fix it. Also, yes! Contribute sheets. Peer review rocks!

I am a non-drinker. I am a Mormon. So I ate my Hops the first couple of times around. It's great energy. Scratch that; it's great stuff, because it costs nearly nothing and it repeats every day. The factual truth is Pale Ale has the game's highest profit per square per month except Peach/Pomegranate if you infill around them with other things once mature. The limiting factor to Pale Ale is Kegs and daily harvesting. Of course the limiting factors to fruit trees are lead time and spacing. The spreadsheet I linked is oriented toward the greenhouse, and the Big Three crops I list there are all very lucrative in the long run. Things like Pumpkin (a little less than half the gross of Starfruit, the laggard among the big three) aren't too shabby either, but they aren't the Big Three.
That's pretty wild. I've never thought too much about profits on such a detailed scale

Reactions: Tom