Spreadsheet collaboration - Let's do it, people!

Tom

Rancher
I have seen many Stardew Valley tools and spreadsheets: some good and some not so good. What's been common to all of them is they are NOT a community work in progress (and I have never got a response to a comment). Let's change that. Let's develop one or some Stardew Valley Google spreadsheets that:
  • Invite and address comments.
  • Invite and add good editors (maybe after seeing some "portfolio" examples) and designers.
I am available to start. But I don't want to do it without some advice and support. I'm not THAT arrogant or delusional! :laugh:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to bump this thread up since I hope it gets more attention, I don't know if I'd be much help honestly since I am a much more casual player when it comes to numbers, but maybe it would help to know what kind of spreadsheets? Like, an ultimate spreadsheet for everything? Spreadsheet that focuses on profits? Villagers? etc.

quirmzi

Sodbuster
That's a cool idea! If everyone worked on it, it could be a fun way to bring the Stardew Valley community together! If you want something for everyone, I recommend having people request permission to edit, and others just being able to comment questions or suggestions.

Last edited:

Tom

Rancher
Cool to see these great replies. Since a quick check tells me it's trivial to change the ownership of a Google Spreadsheet, I guess there's absolutely no down side to my just starting some under my account. In the ideal world, they could become so active somebody with more gravitas would take ownership.

I recommend having people request permission to edit, and others just being able to comment questions or suggestions.
Yes! I currently have several spreadsheets, even for corporate accounting, that have a dozen editors.

Just wanted to bump this thread up since I hope it gets more attention,
Thanks!

maybe it would help to know what kind of spreadsheets? Like, an ultimate spreadsheet for everything? Spreadsheet that focuses on profits? Villagers? etc.
I think the sky is the limit. Since you can link individual sheets, there may not be a down side to having it all in one sheet. Permanent links is a good thing, but I think it would cause paralysis to worry too much about that at first. Here are some of my first ideas:

• Fish income calculator: I found a good one. But it's old, incomplete, not optimal, and owner is absent. I can add it and we can spiff it.
  • Villagers birthdays and gifting guide: I found a great one I have used all the time. But if we add the column like I just added in the other gifting thread, it's even more useful.
  • Museum checklist: I found one. I used it a bit. Not sure it's better than screen shots. But some people might like it and may want to improve it or have some comments on issues.
  • Seed shopping list calculator
  • Fun and esoteric calculators: Giant crops probabilities, Ancient fruit exponential growth and timing, Greenhouse high-dollar comparison (hops, starfruit, ancient fruit, fruit tree mix)
What calculators do you think we should work on?

I guess the best way to start is to visit my current spreadsheet, ask for edit permissions, and add your favorites or start prettying up and improving what I have! Here it is!

Come on over and make yourself at home. :-)

Widget

Sodbuster
I have seen many Stardew Valley tools and spreadsheets: some good and some not so good. What's been common to all of them is they are NOT a community work in progress (and I have never got a response to a comment). Let's change that. Let's develop one or some Stardew Valley Google spreadsheets that:
  • Invite and address comments.
  • Invite and add good editors (maybe after seeing some "portfolio" examples) and designers.
I am available to start. But I don't want to do it without some advice and support. I'm not THAT arrogant or delusional! :laugh:
I'm not clear on what you're proposing here. Do you mean, for example, a spreadsheet addressing, say, fall crops, and all of the info about each one, with comments enabled for people to add their own content? Completely community-editable? Who addresses comments? How is that different from these forums, aside from the spreadsheet format? I don't mean to be picky here, and I hope I don't sound like I'm challenging you. I am just trying to get a handle on what you envision.

Tom

Rancher
Do you mean, for example, a spreadsheet addressing, say, fall crops, and all of the info about each one,
Yes, potentially that and more.

with comments enabled for people to add their own content?
Well, with comments you just add suggestions and requests. But yes. Comments enabled. And multiple editors around to reply.

Completely community-editable?
Yes. Built from the ground up on radical openness and trust. (Trust, but verify.)

Who addresses comments?
Multiple editors.

How is that different from these forums, aside from the spreadsheet format?
It's hopefully very much like these forums in all the best ways (primarily good peer review and activity), except that it's spreadsheets. It's actual peer-reviewed number crunching! Yippee!

I hope I don't sound like I'm challenging you. I am just trying to get a handle on what you envision.
Excellent questions. I love them! I went ahead and started it based on the encouragement here and there are now three editors. Come on over, see how it works, and make it four!

Tom

Rancher
This is genuinely an awe-inspiring project - thank you for starting this!
Hey! I am excited too. So far there are four editors and the first anonymous review comments arrived. So it's off to a good start.

Last edited:

Septima

Farmhand
Hey! I am excited too. So far there are three editors and the first anonymous review comments arrived. So it's off to a good start.
Well great! I'd contribute, but I don't really know how I'd do so, honestly. I hope it continues going well!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Rancher
Thanks. And bump. Should I post this under Guides and Resources now that it's a reality? And does anybody else want permissions to add and edit spreadsheets?