Auto close gates please

tomaO2

Planter
I'm not sure how auto closing doors might work. Do the doors also auto open? Can you keep the doors open? What if you want to keep the doors closed when you run into the gate?

Let's see. I found a mod that might work, it causes the gate to auto open and close while riding only. That's a pretty decent way to do it. I almost never want to keep the gate open when riding, and if I'm riding into it, I'm going to be wanting to go through it.

Yes, I think this would be a very convenient feature to add.

Last edited:

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I'm playing on the Switch so no mods available. This should be a base game feature.

Maybe there could be an option for this in game settings. Similar to Auto Run.
Oh, maybe like an upgraded gate Robin can build for you as a prize for a quest? Or you know what, even better, Maru could, as a prize for gathering supplies for her? She could offer to install a sensor that has the gate opening as you approach/closing as you go through, or just an option to 'turn on' the fence so it closes behind you.

tomaO2

Planter
I've been thinking more on this. Honestly. Gates should just, flat out, be automated for the player. Forget just automatically closing. Forget it opening and closing while on a horse only. It should to BOTH, all the time. You walk into a gate, and the door opens, and closes, as you pass through it.

If you want the gate open normally, that is when you click on it, not for walking through it though. I've been frequently annoyed by the clicking I had to do with the gate. Originally I was thinking that there might be a good reason to have it be a block, unless you actually want to physically open it, but I really can't think of one.

Like, why wouldn't I want to just be able to walk through the frikken gate without clicking? It's a good quality of life improvement, with no downsides that I can see.

I honestly miss the ability to hop over the fence, like I could with the Harvest Moon stone fence. I suppose hopping the fence would be a bit much though.

Last edited:

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I've been frequently annoyed by the clicking I had to do with the gate. Originally I was thinking that there might be a good reason to have it be a block, unless you actually want to physically open it, but I really can't think of one.
^ I have a weird problem that I'm not sure is a deliberate design choice or a Switch-exclusive quirk, but clicking on them too fast sometimes results in them just... spontaneously exploding off the fence. Like they do get picked back up in my inventory, but in the meantime I've got to hurry and cram it back on there before my animals wander out. Since I'm usually powered by Pepper Poppers and am moving very quickly, needing to click the gates to open/shut them can be extremely aggravating because it's a crapshoot whether or not it works properly. It'd be nice to not have that problem one way or another.

tomaO2

Planter
It's deliberate, no chance of that being changed. It's pretty easy to set that off, so getting rid of one more way that it might happen is a plus in my book.

Salonpad

Farmhand
This !! The frustration when im riding on my horse trying to close the gate but somehow end up jump off the horse outside the gate, so I climb up again but it open the gate so i has to lock the gate then tried to climb on the horse again only to open the gate but i didnt get on the horse yet so i get on the horse and close the gate but end up jump off the horse again all because i want to lock the gate while im still on my horse and managed to lose 3 hours in game clowning my self by the gate 😡 it drive me crazy

Last edited:

TruePurple

Cowpoke
It's deliberate, no chance of that being changed. It's pretty easy to set that off, so getting rid of one more way that it might happen is a plus in my book.
What makes you so sure it's deliberate with no chance of being changed?

There is a simple solution to that, just make it so that only players can walk through a closed gate, so that even if a player stands near a closed gate and it "opens" other animals can't walk though. A closed gate would just be a portal only players can cross and the opening would be graphical based only. Then players can open a gate formally so other animals can go through by clicking on it. This would solve multiple issues in one stroke.

SDV has lots of need of various QOL improvements, please see and give a thumbs up. https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/important-quality-of-life-suggestions.5667/ I'll in return link this in my OP. (see #15)

Last edited:
I actually like the fact you have to close gates. It just seems more realistic to me.

Also, there are areas of my farm I consciously decide if the gates are open or closed each time I go through them. I think the mechanics would be cumbersome on consoles (maybe also on PC) to have an on/off switch for each gate while also having them auto-open/auto-close.

Just my personal opinion. I can see how this is annoying if your commonly traveled paths have gates on them, especially if you are on horeseback! I designed my farm so mine to avoid this.

tomaO2

Planter
I was thinking along the lines that it would be an on/off switch as well, but as I said, you don't need to do it like that. When the gate is already open, it doesn't have to close again just because you are passing through it. It would only auto-open, and close, when you run into a closed gate. You can still manually click on the gate separately to open/close it for the animals.

Since there is an animation to open/close the gate, I guess it is better to just use it when you pass through, but it is not necessary either.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
I actually like the fact you have to close gates. It just seems more realistic to me.
Nothing about this game is realistic. Let's not have more cumbersome mechanics just for the sake of some vague sense of "realism"

Also, there are areas of my farm I consciously decide if the gates are open or closed each time I go through them. I think the mechanics would be cumbersome on consoles (maybe also on PC) to have an on/off switch for each gate while also having them auto-open/auto-close.
You seem to have misunderstood or not read my post/suggestion. I'll try again in case I didn't describe it well my previous post.. With my suggestion:
. . . If the gate is "closed" you walk through it like normal, other animals can't go through the "closed" gate, only player can. The game will show an animation of the gate opening, but it will remain "closed". If you click on the gate, it will open and other animals can go through like normal. Click it again to "close" it. If you want to decide to open or close a gate every time you go through, you will still be able to do that.

So this is not auto open/close nor is it a switch. It would be the same as it is now, except players being able to travel through "closed" gates (accompanied by meaningless graphics of the gate opening and closing for the sake of realism feel. But even though the gate will look like it's opening for you when you pass through, it will remain "closed" the whole time in actuallity). There is no way this suggestion would make anything more complicated or cumbersome for anyone, it is anti-cumbersome.

SDV has lots of need of various QOL improvements, please read this thread and give a thumbs up. https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/important-quality-of-life-suggestions.5667/

When the gate is already open, it doesn't have to close again just because you are passing through it. It would only auto-open, and close, when you run into a closed gate. You can still manually click on the gate separately to open/close it for the animals.
This makes more sense than what I was imagining and I would support this idea.

It may be that it still slows you down slightly to pass through closed gates (like walking through grass, closed doors in buildings, and farm animals sometimes do) but would not involve the clicking and exploding gates you and @Alfyna were fighting with.

imnvs

Local Legend
They're not the only ones fighting that one. It happens to me and the wife regularly. It's always while mounted. That's not so bad, as you can put it right back down, but it is annoying. It is worse when all the same conditions are met and you click the wrong spot and end up with an exploding fence post... because you now have to go get a new fence post to put down. The gate at least goes to your inventory and can be put right back.

Odin

Staff member
Hey @TruePurple, if you'd like to link someone else's thread in your post, you're welcome to do so, and it's fine to link to your thread where relevant. But don't ask others to like your thread, or offer things like promoting someone's thread exchange for that. Thanks!