Ask me anything!

What is your favorite food?

Do you use your favorite food from real life when creating your farmer in Stardew Valley?

Does your farm in Stardew Valley have Norse related items (or a close facsimile)?

Odin

Staff member
nah jks what's your favourite art piece
Huh, that's a tough one. I don't know if I have a single favorite bit of art, but I have saved lots of different art that I like here: https://www.deviantart.com/overlordodin/favourites
what do you do for fun?
Well I spent quite a bit of time in Stardew Valley communities in my free time. Beyond that I play games, watch movies, and read books (although usually more of the first two).
What is your favorite food?
I don't think I have one! I did think about it for a bit, but nothing really stands out to that degree over other food.
Do you use your favorite food from real life when creating your farmer in Stardew Valley?
In Stardew it's your "favorite thing" and I don't think I've ever picked an item of food for it.
Does your farm in Stardew Valley have Norse related items (or a close facsimile)?
No, although I do tend to pick something out of Norse mythology for the farm name.

IamDylan

Tiller
If you had to live inside a video game, as in you can do whatever the game let's you do normally or you can change it a little using your regular body's abilities/limits (such as you could swim in stardew valley until tired, since there is water, or not needing to sleep in the game/being able to wonder around whenever until you passed out if wanted) what one would you pick?

You could choose to do the actual quests/gameplay or just run around and do nothing like searching for the deku thingies from breath of the wild. There would be no time constraints/"you have until 3 days to do whatever" besides a quest log that activated scenarios as soon as you arrived at a certain area or talked to a certain character. So if someone asked for a watermelon or to come mow their yard the quest wouldn't expire and you could do it at any time. However, time would still progress like seasons changing/day night cycles. If you died from said game, you would be respawned at the very beginning with your memories like a new game plus unless you saved your progress, then you would respawn at whichever checkpoint the game would naturally have (like your bed from stardew valley). You only have one save file and if you saved you can only respawn from it, no time travely hop arounds. You could drown yourself to reload the game if you wanted, however you feel everything in the game. You would feel the wind, grass, and attacks from enemies. You feel exhaustion if the game has a stamina bar. Actions have consequences and npc character remember what you have done if you reload your save. They only forget if the game gets reset from the beginning, however if you choose to reset you only keep your knowledge you have obtained. You can remember recipes, people's favorite foods, or where materials are. You restart with nothing else.

You cannot leave the game you have chosen and if it is a game with multiple games on it like megaman legacy you would be constrained to one of the games included in the overall game (megaman legacy -> megaman 1 only), until you live out 80 years in said game, even if you did die. Assume you would stay the same age you are/you would not actually age but time would go by. So if you lasted 5 days on your first attempt and started over or died without saving, you would subtract those fives days from the time left and it would accumulate to an overall game clock. You would not be able to leave and let's say if you asked a game character to go to the community center to check out the pantry they would "adapt or change slightly" to be able to do so within reason. You cannot add what is not already a piece of the game.

No adding things from other games like adding pokemon characters into stardew valley or adding dating/spaghetti-o's to a tekken game since they do not exist anywhere in the game already. If the game is updated, then sure those can be added, but only by the developers of the base game as in no modding. For example if you started stardew valley now and for some reason they added let's say you could choose a pet lizard instead of a dog or cat at the beginning you could choose to do so. You just can't add it yourself in unless it exists, so you could make a slime/chicken/ultimate bug from skull dungeon your pet if you wanted or date Robin for example.

Nobody else would see or be able to react to you because you would be in a separate reality or your own "cartridge/game disc" absolutely no outside influences besides the games natural updates/events. Any aspect of needing helpers or friends would be auto generated from other game characters/average ai. You are limited to your own body and could wear gear from the game (you don't become goku in a dbz game) and yes you can learn any ability if you are in a more anime type powers game. However, you have to actually do the training/what is required to get it (find a devil fruit to actually get said devil fruit power). No freebies man. Last but not least, you do have to eat/drink/sleep if the game makes you do those but you can choose to starve, die of thirst, or pass out/die due to no sleep. If you don't have to eat like in halo reach, then you do not need to eat or etc.

Well.... That took more explaining than I had originally thought of. What say you?!

Odin

Staff member
If you had to live inside a video game, as in you can do whatever the game let's you do normally or you can change it a little using your regular body's abilities/limits (such as you could swim in stardew valley until tired, since there is water, or not needing to sleep in the game/being able to wonder around whenever until you passed out if wanted) what one would you pick?
I would pick the island from A Short Hike- if I have to spend 80 years somewhere, it seems like a pretty great vacation island to do it on.
Is moderating fun?
I think so! My favorite part is helping people with questions, and thinking of ways to improve the places I help moderate!

I suppose it started with https://www.reddit.com/r/FarmsofStardewValley/. A few years back I noticed the then-moderator there had gone inactive and requested ownership of the subreddit. And over time I became more active in the game's community and took on more moderation roles!
That's fantastic. I wasn't aware of this subreddit and immediately subbed.

Another question: What is it about Stardew Valley that continually draws you back to the world?

Odin

Staff member
What is it about Stardew Valley that continually draws you back to the world?
That's tough to answer because I don't think it's just one thing. The community is as much of what has kept me around as any of the game updates. But as for the game itself, I think being able to discover a bit more about the game world in each update has been really interesting.

That's tough to answer because I don't think it's just one thing. The community is as much of what has kept me around as any of the game updates. But as for the game itself, I think being able to discover a bit more about the game world in each update has been really interesting.
Fantastic answer and I feel as if I'd use a similar response myself if asked the same question.

One last one from me (for now dun dun duuuuunnnn): Is there anything you've experience in Stardew Valley that you've found yourself thinking, "I wish I could experience that myself!"?