Ask me anything!

Odin

Staff member
Where’s your favorite place in the Stardew map (besides the farm)?
That's a tough one. I really like the new area 1.5 adds, but I think the Secret Woods is still my favorite spot! (Especially once you get a slime charmer ring).
Also, who’s your favorite Stardew spouse?
Leah! She's the first and only NPC I've married (I only have one main save in the game).

What are some of your hobbies/pastimes outside of Stardew Valley?

What aspect of Stardew do you enjoy the most (animals, crops, fishing, mining, foraging, etc.)?

Odin

Staff member
Are you interested in norse mythology?
I am! It's definitely not a big interest, most recently I read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, but that was three or four years ago at this point. I'm just generally interested in myths, and especially in stories that retell them in a new way.
What's your favorite norse monster?
Hmm, this isn't a monster, but I've always liked Ratatoskr (yes, I had to look up the spelling). It's a squirrel that runs up and down Yggdrasil carrying messages between an eagle and the serpent Nidhogg. The idea of a messenger squirrel that these other two creatures rely on to communicate is interesting to me. A mythological game of telephone.

What are some of your hobbies/pastimes outside of Stardew Valley?
Well, I do play other games sometimes, Minecraft is another of my favorites if my profile picture didn't give that away already. And recently I've been playing Littlewood, which I really like. Outside of video games, I enjoy watching movies!
What aspect of Stardew do you enjoy the most (animals, crops, fishing, mining, foraging, etc.)?
I think I may be one of very few who find Stardew fishing to be relatively relaxing and fun (once you have a fully upgraded fishing rod), but I think my favorite part of the game is designing my farm!

Odin

Staff member
When and why did you become a moderator?
Well! I will try to keep this brief as I help moderate several different Stardew communities (although I can give more of the story if you want). I began moderating the forums last March (which means it's been almost a year now!). The first place I was a moderator of was a Twitch channel that I was active on for a number of years, but it was very rare that the chat ever needed moderation.

The first Stardew related moderation I did was of /r/FarmsofStardewValley on Reddit. I took over the subreddit in February of 2017, when I noticed that the only moderator there had left the site, and I was both interested people's farm designs, and wanted to improve that community and make sure there was someone there to keep things running. I've been a moderator there since, although I've had help there for the past few years.
if you could be another animal which one would you be and why?
If I absolutely had to become an animal, I think I'd want to be dog, because living in the wild seems difficult and unpleasant. As a dog I'd hopefully have a good family and still get to spend time with people.
What are your opinions on clowns?
I'm not sure I think about clowns much. They seem a bit creepy, but I think it depends on the context, because they can be funny and lighthearted too.
Does the natural world fascinate you?
Absolutely! I always enjoy nature documentaries and learning about nature. I find all the variation of animals and plants really interesting. And I'm also really interested in space, although I suppose that's other worlds.
Do you believe that humans have souls?
I don't think so.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Absolutely! I always enjoy nature documentaries and learning about nature. I find all the variation of animals and plants really interesting. And I'm also really interested in space, although I suppose that's other worlds.
It's just the natural realm on a different scale. Nature doesn't mean plants. It means things the way they are.

Hmm, this isn't a monster, but I've always liked Ratatoskr (yes, I had to look up the spelling). It's a squirrel that runs up and down Yggdrasil carrying messages between an eagle and the serpent Nidhogg. The idea of a messenger squirrel that these other two creatures rely on to communicate is interesting to me. A mythological game of telephone.
That's actually really cool. I personally find Norse mythology way more fascinating and sometimes more pertinent than Greek mythology. I once read a book that retold the story of Beowulf, but instead they were space colonists. I'm not sure if that counts as Norse mythology or not. It's called Legacy of Heorot, wiki link:

And also, if you have time to study it and you're not already familiar with it, I'd recommend researching the Christian demonization of Loki. The summary of which is that Loki wasn't really an evil god until Christian influence came about around 800 AD.

Odin

Staff member
I once read a book that retold the story of Beowulf, but instead they were space colonists. I'm not sure if that counts as Norse mythology or not. It's called Legacy of Heorot, wiki link:
I don't know if it counts as "proper" mythology, but there's tons of stories like that, and honestly so much of mythology itself is the retelling of stories that to me it all feels like part of the same tradition.
And also, if you have time to study it and you're not already familiar with it, I'd recommend researching the Christian demonization of Loki. The summary of which is that Loki wasn't really an evil god until Christian influence came about around 800 AD.
I'll have to look into that if I have time! I didn't know that, but it's definitely not surprising, Christianity definitely spent a lot of time altering different culture's religions to adhere closer to them.

imnvs

Local Legend