(April 16) Forums Beta Changelog

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there! Feel free to give your feedback in Forum Feedback! We'd like to know what you think of these changes and anything else that can be done.

There will be several updates during the beta duration. Be sure to keep tabs on this thread!

March 6, 2020

General
- The previously transparent header is now blue (thank you CA!)
- Fixed typo in "Grandpa's Visit" trophy
- Renamed "Guides & Resources" to "Tips & Guides" to not be confused with the mod resource manager
- Changed 'Home' to 'Main Site', which redirects to the main Stardew Valley website. Added the links that would appear in stardewvalley.net
- Removed "Developer Blog" category for the 'Main Site' changes
- Default registration settings no longer have the 'email alert' setting ticked (not retroactive)
- Increased image file size to 2048kb, but the dimensions have been limited to 1000x1000px (still not fixed, will look into it tomorrow :emotions: )
- Removed most of the reactions except for the Like reaction, changed it to a heart emote from the game (the link to the like button is still a thumbs up, will be worked on)
- Added Reddit and Discord to the Contact Info in your account settings

Modding
- Renamed "Modding Discussion" forum to "Mods" and created a new discussions forum for mods.
- Added "Modding" forum category. Made a thread here to ask your thoughts about a mod support forum
- You can no longer make your mods cost money
- Increased mod file size to ~20mb
- Added 'Miscellaneous' category in mod tab

I'll put more focus on modding stuff tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all your feedback and testing so far! There's still a lot to do, but we're trucking along pretty well.

March 7, 2020

Images
- The max width of images you can post will be sized to your screen, while the height of images are limited to 800px. This may not be permanent and still needs messing around with, but it will keep images looking reasonable on both browser and mobile.
- Signature sizes have a max width of your screen size, and a max height of 125px

General
- Clarified "Bug Reports" forum being for vanilla bugs only in the guidelines. Troubleshooting guides TBA
- Signatures are now visible on mobile
- Prefixes have different colors now (except for platforms)

Modding
- Added a 'Mod Support' forum. No guidelines yet, but I plan to include troubleshooting guides as well
- When you create a mod, a thread is automatically created in the "Mods" forum, but you cannot create extra threads in there. You can still post reviews and discussions on the mod pages, though!
- Added 'Question', 'Guide', 'Unofficial', and 'Demo' as prefixes for "Modding Discussion". I plan to look into how tagging works in xenforo so we can get more specific stuff that's easy to find (such as framework types and specific kinds of mods)
- Added 'Question', 'Coding Help', 'Art Help', and 'Issue' prefixes for "Mod Support"

Feel free to suggest more prefixes for the modding category as well as prefixes + subcategories for the mod resources tab here

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 9, 2020

General
- Signature sizes on PC are limited to 300px in height and signature sizes on mobile are limited to 125px in height. If the height is exceeded, a scrollbar appears. Worth noting that if you have a longer signature, it's not formatted perfectly on mobile, but it should no longer take over the pages
- Changes the names of smilies so typing :) :( etc. will no longer change it. You can view all current smilies in the help section and access them from this icon in the reply box:
1583795718390.png

- Removed Facebook and Skype from custom user fields, but if there's a larger demand I can add it back
- Added NexusMods, ModDrop, PSN, Xbox, Nintendo, Steam, GOG, and Other into the custom user fields
- Your viewed notifications disappear after 2 days instead of 4
- You can now add tags to your posts and mods, allowing for better descriptions when you post
- Changed "Bug Reports" to "Help & Bug Reports" and added troubleshooting links to the guidelines
- Added "Help" and "Bug Report" prefixes to "Help & Bug Reports"

Modding
- Added 'WIP' prefix to "Modding Discussion"
- Added prefixes to the mod resource manager. Prefixes available: SMAPI, Content Patcher, JsonAssets, TMX, PFM, and Custom

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 12, 2020

- Fixed navigation for "Mod Support", so you should stay in the Forums tab instead of moving to the Mods tab!
- Added an advertising section and a forum etiquette section to Rules & FAQ, The formatting on this page is still a WIP, but the content itself is the main focus right now. The advertising section is to clear up how we'll handle advertising, while the forum etiquette has some encouraged practices. I plan to add page anchors also (so the page can be long but everything is easy to find)

Warning system is something that will be elaborated on, but for now it'll be treated case-by-case. Be sure to keep rules in mind though and there should be no issues!

If there's any rules you'd like more elaboration on, feel free to drop some messages in Forum Feedback!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 17

- Emails should now be sending out thanks to CA! However, images might not work. Be sure to let us know if that's the case for you, or if they're loading fine.
- You can now have a 'WIP' prefix in "Valley Showcase", "Creative", "Fan Works", "Help & Bug Reports", and "Mod Support".
- The 'Solved' prefix has been added to Mod Support and Help & Bug Reports. Please note this can only be added by the staff team though, so normal members will have to request threads be marked if they haven't done so yet.

Updates are slowing down a bit, mostly because all that's left is just refining a few design things. Thank you all so much for the feedback you've given, and if you have any more, we're always happy to hear it!

If you'd like some more focus, I implemented the tagging feature but it still has some limits to it, like how many tags a person can make and how many tags a post can have. Go crazy with the tags and let me know if anything is too much or not enough.

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 18

- Public beta is now live! You're welcome to share this forum with anyone you think would enjoy it here or would like to help out. Check out our welcome post!
- Signatures now have limits (yay!!) For now the limits are fairly generous. 500 character max, 10 lines max, 6 images max, and you can still format/link it however you like. Let me know if it's too much, not enough, play around and test the limits! We'll change it accordingly.
- Your posts should save drafts every 30 seconds instead of 60; let me know if this helps at all. Drafts are saved for up to 24 hours and delete afterwards. Worth noting you can save drafts manually too, so don't be afraid to do that if you need to!

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 25

Hey everyone, hope your day has been lovely! There have been a few changes made since the public beta started, namely:

- The share icons have been fixed to be much more pleasing to the eye (thanks CA!)
- There are no longer double icons showing the last poster in the forums (thanks CA!)
- We removed the "Bug Report" and "Help" prefixes in Help & Bug Reports since we have people choose a platform instead. We prefer people will state their type of report in the title instead! Mods are happy to change the titles to help out!
- Added a rule in the main rules page that clarifies no spoilers in thread titles anywhere on the forum. It's expected that Bug Reports, Modding, etc. will have lots of spoilers. You do not have to hide everything under spoiler tags as long as you state "SPOILER" somewhere in the thread title. Moderators can help out with this too :) We consider spoilers details of character events or post-community center content. In example, saying you experienced Penny's 14-heart event is not a spoiler, but talking about what happens in Penny's 14-heart event itself is a spoiler.
- Clarified that posting similar topics in different boards is considered spam. If you're unsure where to post something, you're free to ask us! If you end up making a thread in the wrong area, we will happily move it.

There are still a few core things to do before the forums go fully public. Feel free to continue leaving your feedback! It helps us a lot.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
March 28

Hi everyone! This update is a short but sweet:

- Changed "Multiplayer" to "Multiplayer (LFG)". We've been getting some confusion on what the forum is about, so we want to make it a bit easier! For those who don't know what "LFG" stands for, it means "Looking For Game". Please use the Multiplayer forum for when you're looking for a game to play with others, or when you want to host a game! It's a bit empty right now, but as the forums get more people and we exit the public beta, it'll most likely get more attention.
- Removed the amount of tags you can apply as a user. There is still a cap of tags per post, but for now we want to monitor how people use tags and how frequently. Most of the forums require 1 tag when you make a thread as well. Continue giving us feedback about how you feel on tags and how we can improve them!

I also made a feedback thread regarding making megathreads for people to post SDV let's plays and streams and I would love to get more of your thoughts! Thank you very much for reading and I hope life is treating you well.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
April 6

Welcome new members and we hope you're enjoying your stay! People have been slowly but surely joining the forum and progress has been running smoothly on getting everything set up. Feel free to invite others to the forums even though it's not fully public yet, since the invitation is open to anybody! The forums have also been added to the main website so it's always accessible and easy to find.

A lot of stuff has been happening on the backend, so there haven't been too many changes! I finished setting up moderation guidelines for the staff team, and soon I will add more elaboration to the Rules & FAQ page so you understand our process and how we will send out warnings. This information has not been posted yet, but please know that we will never take a "silent" action. All warns and bans will be notified, and bans can be appealed after several months. You can be warned 3 times, while a 4th warning will be a ban. There are also a few situations we will ban immediately for (such as sexually explicit content or malicious spamming). This will all be explained in the page update, but I wanted to give you a snippet of what to expect.

I'm in the process of adding smilies, so the default ones will be deleted shortly. I hope to get the main ones added before the end of today, (i am a wishful thinker, they'll be added tomorrow) Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause!

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
April 8

A brief but important update!

- Smilies were added! :laugh: They're not all in order yet but I'm going to change it around so it's more organized. The emotions, villagers, and farm animals are together for the most part however. :bchicken:
- The rules have been updated! The warn system was added and explained, and we have an added rule that clarifies we have to keep the forums English-only. If you have any questions or feedback about the rule changes, please let us know!

Worth noting that the rules page has an awful lot of text, so it is a little harder to read in one go. I plan to update it and make it more pleasant to read and reference in the near future. All the content is there, so now it's time to make it pretty!

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
April 16

- The rules page looks prettier now and should be easier to read! Some text was made bigger and the line spacing was changed a little bit to hopefully make the text a lot easier on the eyes. Also, the old dividers were changed to keep the rules page more interesting. (The junimo art on the rules page is by me, hope you like them! :junicheer:)

There's no set date for exiting the public beta yet, but we're definitely in the final stages now. As always, you're welcome to leave feedback in Forum Feedback!