anyone else miss racing johnny in chrono trigger

I played Chrono Trigger for the first time about a year ago and I loved it!! The racing part was pretty fun hahah, and I love the whole part where you go to the future for the first time

I like liquidcat's suggestions! I haven't played Crosscode but I might pick up Sea of Stars
Crosscode is fun and availble for download for xbone gamepass users. Its got a nice retro feel but at times it Feels a little to catering to otaku fans to the point you take the jokes with groans rather than laughs.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Lol, x bone. xD

Action RPGs can be hit or miss. Crosscode looks decent but it's hard to make a judgement on the otaku jokes without actually seeing any. I've learned to take reviews and suggestion with a grain of salt, because everyone comes from a different place, and some people (not necessarily you) like to over-react to things that really aren't a big deal. That aside, sometimes it's exactly as you say. *shrugs*

If you liked Chrono Trigger, you may also like Chrono Cross. The game mechanics differ, but there's wacky fun stuff happening that involves screwing with time again.
I LOVE Chrono Trigger! Chrono Cross is a great follow up and provides a sequel of sorts without the usual "This could be the 1st game, version 1.5" type sequel. Chrono Cross could honestly stand on it's own and exist in the same universe.

That being said, Chrono Trigger, as others have mentioned, has the advantage of being on the SNES and a great Square Story to boot. The music though, man it really shows how amazing Nobuo Uematsu is with his musical ability and it also showcases Yasunori Mitsuda's talent as well. Chrono Trigger was the 2nd soundtrack I imported from Japan and remains one of my favorites to this day (BTW @Zen_the_Ogre , every time I see Johnny's name, his theme and The Bike Chase theme play in my head :D ).

I think I replay CT more frequently simply because it's more accessible via my SNES mini or my DS. Chrono Cross is definitely worth visiting on it's own merits though, so for those who haven't played it should look into doing so.

Last edited:
To bad the old fan project got shut down Chronotrigger 3D. It was supposed to be similar to dragon quest 11 in it's 3d mode art style albeit Ozzie ended up looking too much like bipidity? from dbz.

I'm probably the only person here who thinks ChronoTrigger is a bit of an overrated game I bet =\
I doubt it. While I was definitely gushing with my fanboyism, I realize that CT didn't resonate with everyone. I'm sure there are others here who share your sentiment about the game and just haven't said anything.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I doubt it. While I was definitely gushing with my fanboyism, I realize that CT didn't resonate with everyone. I'm sure there are others here who share your sentiment about the game and just haven't said anything.
I mean it's not a bad game, and I do enjoy it, I just don't gush about it like some people do.

Lauren1593

Tiller
Never had a SNES myself, though I’ve had a Sega Genesis, and used to play games with Mom a lot, namely the Sonic series. Amusingly, my parents let me, a 3-4 year old, play the then poster child of violent games called Mortal Kombat. 😝

I’ve gotten Chrono Trigger for the DS in 2007 or 2008. The only thing I didn’t do was level up enough to beat down Spekkio in his final form (Party is still in mid-upper 70s). Completed everything else, including Dream Devourer. Additionally, I’ve the box, instruction manuals and poster still intact. (Thankfully got this after I started taking meticulous care of my stuff)

Actually picked it up again about two months ago. Definitely up there among my favorite games. Though Final Fantasy XII takes the win for my all-time favorite game.

As far as art style goes, I’m actually going to put Stardew Valley above Chrono Trigger (more specifically, 1000 AD). Chrono Trigger has pretty excellent 2D visuals, but Stardew Valley visuals are a lot more memorable and colorful. Though Ginger Island definitely gave me some vibes of the jungle areas (prehistory) of Chrono Trigger as well.

Last edited: