anyone else miss racing johnny in chrono trigger

I really miss the ole snes days. I would love another Chronotrigger comparable game but it seems all we get now are those 10 release a year kemco games. I would even take a Super Mario RPG 2 (a kingdom hearts precursor for nintendo).

imnvs

Local Legend
I never owned a copy of Chrono Trigger, so I barely remember it. I remember bits and pieces...

Chrono Cross, that one I was able to buy. I "New Game+"ed that game into the ground.

Potatoes

Farmer
I rented Crono Trigger all the time when I was a kid, I was super obsessed with it. When I got older I actually bought a copy of it on eBay, owned it for about a year, lent it to my friend‘s girlfriend, then they broke up and I never saw it again. Oh well. It still lives on in my heart. Anyway, I’d love to see another game done in that style.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I really miss the ole snes days. I would love another Chronotrigger comparable game but it seems all we get now are those 10 release a year kemco games. I would even take a Super Mario RPG 2 (a kingdom hearts precursor for nintendo).
Who's johnny?

Also, no thanks, we don't need Disney taking over another RPG franchise, I'll pass. That'd be like KOTOR and Kingdom Hearts getting a crossover.

Johnny

Super mario rpg wasnt that bad. Seeing samus and link showing up in the royal guest chambers though was interesting. in all honesty kingdom hearts probably would have been nintendo based(o disney ips) if it werent for the whole nintendo dropping the disc drive that square was designing their games for

liquidcat

Staff member
I adore snes jrpgs, the artstyle and music featured in most of them is so lovely! It's definitely a bit of shame that developers are moving away from the 2d pixel aesthetic, I was very disappointed to see secret of mana remaster would not feature similar pixel artstyle. That being said there are I found a bunch of new rpgs that take inspiration from the classics while modernizing them!

Have you looked into Crosscode? It's an indie action rpg with really gorgeous pixel art which might satisfy your itch for games like chrono trigger! I really enjoyed the story and combat was really fun as well. I loved every single character in the game and plot was interesting. The game is relatively long as well. It's an easy recommendation!

Sea of Stars is an upcoming game which remind me a LOT of Chrono Trigger with the art style and the music is going to be composed by the same composer who did Chrono Trigger! It had kickstarter last year and is supposed to come out in 2022. I'm really looking forward to how it turns out!

Potatoes

Farmer
Have you looked into Crosscode? It's an indie action rpg with really gorgeous pixel art which might satisfy your itch for games like chrono trigger! I really enjoyed the story and combat was really fun as well. I loved every single character in the game and plot was interesting. The game is relatively long as well. It's an easy recommendation!
I wish I didn’t have so many other games I was trying to play right now cause this one looks really good.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I adore snes jrpgs, the artstyle and music featured in most of them is so lovely! It's definitely a bit of shame that developers are moving away from the 2d pixel aesthetic, I was very disappointed to see secret of mana remaster would not feature similar pixel artstyle. That being said there are I found a bunch of new rpgs that take inspiration from the classics while modernizing them!
There are actually a lot of games being published out there that are reverting back to 2D art styles. Part of the reason for this is that they're relatively easy to produce compared to 3D games. Most of the ones you see are indie games, and while they're not masterpieces like some of the games that were published once upon a time, there are a few pretty solid games out there. Just gotta dig through the bad ones to find 'em. Kinda like checking trashcans i guess.

liquidcat

Staff member
Haha I know what you mean! I'm really enjoying the 2d art style come back with indie games, but I still sometimes wish bigger developers would try it again. I try to keep up with all indie rpgs I can find but if you were to find any interesting games, please let me know!

Salty1

Planter
In addition to liquidcat's suggestions, might I suggest Everhood? It's got more rhythm game elements overall, but there is one portion that is a kart race that is very reminiscent of sega genesis racing games and a little of super mario kart. The music is definitely on-point, if nothing else!

LRangerR

Local Legend
Haha I know what you mean! I'm really enjoying the 2d art style come back with indie games, but I still sometimes wish bigger developers would try it again. I try to keep up with all indie rpgs I can find but if you were to find any interesting games, please let me know!
Like I've said elsewhere, Va-11 Hall-A (Valhalla) is a pretty good game, but it's more of a VN than an RPG. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now, it's been a while, and I've kinda been disenchanted with how ****ty games have gotten in recent years. I do know this one game though, it's called Stardew Valley, it's alright. you might enjoy it :P

Salonpad

Farmhand
Have you try “ live a live “ ? Old game but really good, great character arcs . I just found out about it recently because the game was mean to be released in japan only. The “ breath of fire “ series , tales of phantasia is hella good too. The only complaint is the puzzles cuz these game drop no hint it caused my small brain almost explode trying to work on it, all is fun tho. These game soundtracks is fire 🔥

Salonpad

Farmhand
Have you ever tried Zelda 2?
I did, back when i was young. I remember hanging around in the village, every times i tried to go outside the monsters beat me bloody so i ran back home. Happened for a few time till i gave up. I did managed to beat “ Zelda journey to the past “ tho, pretty proud of it >:)) feel smart doe. ( Ye it a child game but... )

There was this ant sim game , i beat it in 2 hours. It aint that hard all i have to do is call up my black ants homies, head over to the red ants base - kill their kween - took over the land => easy win. Always aim for the leader yo.

LRangerR

Local Legend
There was this ant sim game , i beat it in 2 hours. It aint that hard all i have to do is call up my black ants homies, head over to the red ants base - kill their kween - took over the land => easy win. Always aim for the leader yo.
Lol yeah that one's fun too, also a child's game tho. Definitely felt like you were a leader of a black ant gang, so i get your feel yo xD

Me on the other hand, I'd switch into the spider and just go around eating ants whenever I felt like it, while trying to not get devoured by an entire ant hill. Good times.

Salonpad

Farmhand
Me on the other hand, I'd switch into the spider
I didnt know i can play as the spider, that sound dope O_o !! There was a spider as big as my hand living in my bed room, not sure is a girl or boy but very polite, it goes away when i told it to. It look mad ugly :/ probably single too since the spiders in my area aint as big as that abomination.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I played Chrono Trigger for the first time about a year ago and I loved it!! The racing part was pretty fun hahah, and I love the whole part where you go to the future for the first time

I like liquidcat's suggestions! I haven't played Crosscode but I might pick up Sea of Stars