Add a Hunger bar!

Survival Mode could be a fun addition to the game for us hardcore fans with hundreds of hours. Would require some new features but I think it could be done fairly easily! When Survival Mode is active, energy should naturally deplete at a rate of 1 energy every other second. All other actions would deplete energy at normal rates as well. This would mean even a day with no farming, you would most likely need to eat once to not pass out. On busy days, 3 square meals would be a requirement. Foraging and Fishing would be major in the beginning of the game, and you would need to spend a lot of your first earnings at Gus' if you don't want to pass out. I would imagine upgrading your house would be one of the first things you saved for, and getting recipes from friends would become a bigger part of the meta. I do think it would be possible to survive without passing out, but would be pretty costly to keep eating until you can start cooking things. In fact, that's my only concern here is the inability to cook at all. So, what if we added some basic functionality to the Campfire. Bug Steaks could be cooked for more health, and perhaps we could make some basic 'Fruit Kebab' or 'Roasted Vegetable' from placing the related item on the Campfire. Campfire Cooking should probably take longer than a Seed Maker, but less than a Mayo Machine. Spouses could also have the chance to cook you dinner implemented as well, as that would be super useful in a Survival Mode.

I just post about this right now and notice that me and @cafjic202 aren't the only ones thinking about this, since @cafjic202 that speaks Russian talk about this in a post but unfortunately he/she only speaks Russian so he/she asks me to post about this and I did and then see more post talking about this and well just hope that this can be a feature in stardew valley I personally think it is a quality of life.

when I talk about this with @cafjic202 I thought a similar thing that people are talking about her of having it to be a option, but I thought that it could be like the already in game monster spawn option that is in the start and in game playthrough.

Here is my post link talking about this idea:

And here am going to let the link of @cafjic202 post that is in Russian but is you get out of your way for a second and translate it he/she talks about the same idea and I reply him/her in English what I thought about his suggestion:

http://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/%D0%93%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B4.4454/

Last edited:

Saraneth

Farmhand
...The mechanics of cooking aren't conducive to it being necessary to eat in early game: you can't cook without upgrading your house and have practically no cooking recipes yet...
Although a hunger meter would be a level of stress I wouldn't want in Stardew Valley, I would love to have some kind of cooking open right off the bat. For example, some of the early-learned foods (scrambled eggs, etc.) should be "cook-able" over a campfire, and the more complex (and high-health, high-energy foods) could require the proper kitchen.

A "full" effect that prevented the player from eating might push them to focus on cooking only the high-return foods for themselves.

MJA1981

Greenhorn
Already exists and is configurable by spacechase0

"Another Hunger Mod"

Unless your suggesting it be added to the games code not via a mod?

Cptldsilver

Planter
I would just like it if the energy mechanic stayed relevant throughout the game. Early game (the first season or two), energy can be a limiting factor. As the game goes on automating removes a lot of the energy requirements, increasing your skills makes you extremely efficient, and upgrading your tools makes you even more efficient. Once you have sprinklers, an upgraded axe, and an upgraded pickaxe, energy becomes an afterthought most days.

Maybe a hunger system would fix this but it would make the early game much more difficult.

I would just like it if the energy mechanic stayed relevant throughout the game. Early game (the first season or two), energy can be a limiting factor. As the game goes on automating removes a lot of the energy requirements, increasing your skills makes you extremely efficient, and upgrading your tools makes you even more efficient. Once you have sprinklers, an upgraded axe, and an upgraded pickaxe, energy becomes an afterthought most days.

Maybe a hunger system would fix this but it would make the early game much more difficult.
I agree on that, at first the energy is a drag but after you upgrade your tools, have craftable that help making this easier and raising the energy bar with the startdrops the energy is like if it not even there anymore for the most of the times. So I think that this can change that endgame problem.

Already exists and is configurable by spacechase0

"Another Hunger Mod"

Unless your suggesting it be added to the games code not via a mod?
Yes that mod exists and is a great mod but unfortunately for stardew valley new split screen CO-OP it doesn't work as intended, it does work but basically all players have the same stomach if one of the players eat for all players the hunger gets regenerates. So on less than mod gets a update for split screen CO-OP compatible so each players have their own hunger it basically not ideal to use it if you play split screen CO-OP.

Ellajoy

Rancher
Yes that mod exists and is a great mod but unfortunately for stardew valley new split screen CO-OP it doesn't work as intended, it does work but basically all players have the same stomach if one of the players eat for all players the hunger gets regenerates. So on less than mod gets a update for split screen CO-OP compatible so each players have their own hunger it basically not ideal to use it if you play split screen CO-OP.
The same stomach? That sounds nasty

MJA1981

Greenhorn
spacechase0 is a very dedicated Modder and I'm sure if we bring this to their attention it'll get fixed up. Thanks for letting me know about the split screen bug. My wife are playing that way but don't currently have the mod installed so hadn't noticed.

Edit: Someone made note of this in the posts section for the mod on Nexus. I also commented on it asking spacechase0 to please update if they have the time. Hopefully we'll see this great mod fixed.

Last edited:
spacechase0 is a very dedicated Modder and I'm sure if we bring this to their attention it'll get fixed up. Thanks for letting me know about the split screen bug. My wife are playing that way but don't currently have the mod installed so hadn't noticed.

Edit: Someone made note of this in the posts section for the mod on Nexus. I also commented on it asking spacechase0 to please update if they have the time. Hopefully we'll see this great mod fixed.
Yes I was the one that posted about that bug on nexus to see if the creator can do something about it , And I saw your reply on my post on nexus talking about it too so hope that this can be fix in the near future.

Last edited: