1.5 Progress Update: What's up with Willy?

Beaker

Farmhand
I'm hoping it's a sort of Calico Desert experience, reading all the responses it be nice to let's say do this:

-Willy takes you out to the Ocean for new fish and that comes with new recipes! :D

You can also opt out to, go to the New Island with: new NPCs, Shops, Dungeon, items.

That's what I mean by Calico, let 's say you can only sail out from 8-5pm.

Person090

Planter
I'm hoping it's a sort of Calico Desert experience, reading all the responses it be nice to let's say do this:

-Willy takes you out to the Ocean for new fish and that comes with new recipes! :D

You can also opt out to, go to the New Island with: new NPCs, Shops, Dungeon, items.

That's what I mean by Calico, let 's say you can only sail out from 8-5pm.
That would be cool, new forageables in the island, more exotic crops, maybe a restaurant to take your spouse to, the possibilities are limitless really

Aine

Planter
I wish we had more information on the content. One person tweeted back to CA that if he needed too, this could be a DLC on the game, and charge money for it.
I double that, we are getting a lot of content for a really small price game, some triple A games doesnt have this much stuff going on.

Odin

Staff member
I wish we had more information on the content. One person tweeted back to CA that if he needed too, this could be a DLC on the game, and charge money for it.
I double that, we are getting a lot of content for a really small price game, some triple A games doesnt have this much stuff going on.
CA has said he doesn't intend to ever charge for game updates, I would assume with the 10 million copies the game has sold, plus music and merch sales, he's doing fine :)
It can often feel like it's a ton of content for one price, but remember Stardew only has to support a dev team of two, plus the console and mobile ports. Triple A game companies on the other hand, usually have hundreds of employees.

27dschild

Planter
Maybe it will work like the bus, where you have to pay willy a fee to travel to new locations using his boat, he did mention he and his father were travelling from island to island as I recall, so maybe once you get enough hearts with him, he takes you to fish to new exotic fishing spots which change daily, for a fee of course.
Maybe you can go to the fern islands!!!!!!!!

@ndy

Farmhand
CA has said he doesn't intend to ever charge for game updates, I would assume with the 10 million copies the game has sold, plus music and merch sales, he's doing fine :)
It can often feel like it's a ton of content for one price, but remember Stardew only has to support a dev team of two, plus the console and mobile ports. Triple A game companies on the other hand, usually have hundreds of employees.
i still think he should charge something, at least if its big enough tho
and if we take all the updates till now we already passed that point {unless you dont play/count multiplayer}

Firehoshi

Sodbuster
i still think he should charge something, at least if its big enough tho
and if we take all the updates till now we already passed that point {unless you dont play/count multiplayer}
as soemoen almost always broke due to bills. lets not ask for this. lol

redbobcat

Rancher
What if a sea monster that you sometimes see (rare) is actually a submarine that Willy built and we get access to that. It appears right next to his shop.

Drencom

Tiller
Very excited for the next update, as always! So, the thing about this door, it could be something that stays available during the game after you unlock it, or maybe it is only available in some kind of event, such as the night market.

I always wondered, where does Willy sleep? Maybe the stairs will actually lead to something, and you could access a new floor (with bed) if you have enough heart points with Willy? I mean, the stairs changed the location, so maybe that is a possibility. Alternatively, the door might lead to a boat where Willy actually sleeps and we could access and maybe use that boat in some cool way. I think steering the boat itself would be a wild guess, but as other users said before, maybe it could lead to new locations, like the bus! Maybe the boat can be used as an alternative route to Calico Desert and other known areas as well! So many possibilities... Kudos to CA for his ability to make us this curious with just a single screenshot :owo:

Ereo

Helper
If you click on the stairs in Willy's shop, it says something like "there is a small sleeping room. This is off limits". Not the exact words cause I don't remember, but he seems to sleep above his shop und unlike all other NPCs doesn't want everyone in his bedroom.

Lyssa

Greenhorn
I desperately wish the update would make Willy a marriage candidate (I've been holding a torch for him since I first saw his character sprite), but I highly suspect this will be some sort of island-visiting situation. Perhaps the island will have different seeds and fish to unlock, alongside a variety of new items for the farm. Perhaps you'll be able to modify something on the island, or explore a new cave system? O, Willy. How I wish we could have dozens of little cap-wearing fisherbabies with you..

jellobean

Tiller
I'm excited for whatever happens and diving seems like an awesome possibility! I could see it as a step up in difficulty compared to the SC if it required an oxygen tank (plus fighting off deep sea monsters). I'm imagining lots of beautiful new areas: islands? coral reefs? volcanoes?!). I'd love it if there were tide pools we could interact with since the ones on the beach are mostly for aesthetics at the moment.

It's going to be great update for shore ;)