Android [BUG] Slingshot is not working correctly when using a Bluetooth/USB game pad.

PilotTM

Cowpoke
I am currently using an Xbox controller connected to my Galaxy S9 via USB and sometimes over Bluetooth.
Using the action button (X) allows me to pull back and the tiniest movement of the thumbstick in any direction does allow for aiming of the slingshot but pushing it any farther will result in the following behavior:

1. If the slingshot has ammo in it and I press any direction on the left thumbstick (or dpad) the ammo will fly out rapidly in the direction that the slingshot was last aimed towards (Default direction seems to be right of the player).

2. If there is no ammo in the slingshot the message "Out of ammo" will continue to pop up and play the sound very rapidly. This also prevents the player from moving in any direction (This is annoying when moving past the slingshot in the Hotbar while walking)

Video example. The first shot is using touch controls, the second is pressing X which can be aimed with very minute movements of the thumbstick, and the third is pressing in any direction on the thumbstick.

Thanks for reporting that!
Same thing happens on iOS as well, with bluetooth controller paired I can't use the thumbstick to aim with the slingshot drawn back and held, or it automatically rapid-fire discharges all ammo at once, regardless if it is 5 or 500. I've tried all the various alternate configs in the menu for the controller to no avail, the game clearly thinks that thumbstick moves the character all other times except for when a slingshot is equipped, where it should be expected to move the slingshot's aim when drawn back and held, instead it sees the thumb stick as a held fire button, so it is unusable.

I am currently using an Xbox controller connected to my Galaxy S9 via USB and sometimes over Bluetooth.
Using the action button (X) allows me to pull back and the tiniest movement of the thumbstick in any direction does allow for aiming of the slingshot but pushing it any farther will result in the following behavior:

1. If the slingshot has ammo in it and I press any direction on the left thumbstick (or dpad) the ammo will fly out rapidly in the direction that the slingshot was last aimed towards (Default direction seems to be right of the player).

2. If there is no ammo in the slingshot the message "Out of ammo" will continue to pop up and play the sound very rapidly. This also prevents the player from moving in any direction (This is annoying when moving past the slingshot in the Hotbar while walking)

Video example. The first shot is using touch controls, the second is pressing X which can be aimed with very minute movements of the thumbstick, and the third is pressing in any direction on the thumbstick.
Would you mind editing your post to also add the iOS tag? It happens on iOS as well, unfortunately, thanks!

Odin

Staff member
Would you mind editing your post to also add the iOS tag? It happens on iOS as well, unfortunately, thanks!
Unfortunately threads can only have one tag. But mobile issues often crop up on both Android and iOS, and the development of those platforms is handled by the same porting team. So I would imagine they patch bugs for both platforms at about the same time.

Unfortunately threads can only have one tag. But mobile issues often crop up on both Android and iOS, and the development of those platforms is handled by the same porting team. So I would imagine they patch bugs for both platforms at about the same time.
Thanks Odin, is there no tag for "mobile?" (meaning all of mobile)? I guess I was just hoping it won't slip through the cracks for iOS and get addressed for Android only. I considered making another thread specific to iOS but didn’t want to duplicate unnecessarily. I hope as you say, that it gets fixed for both. I'd assume that the bugs thread is reviewed by the porting teams from time to time?

Anyway, thanks, that's good to know that it would probably get fixed for iOS too. Given they are working on the mobile 1.5, it could potentially be an opportune time to fix it (for both platforms of course). 🤞🍀

Odin

Staff member
Thanks Odin, is there no tag for "mobile?" (meaning all of mobile)? I guess I was just hoping it won't slip through the cracks for iOS and get addressed for Android only. I considered making another thread specific to iOS but didn’t want to duplicate unnecessarily. I hope as you say, that it gets fixed for both. I'd assume that the bugs thread is reviewed by the porting teams from time to time?

Anyway, thanks, that's good to know that it would probably get fixed for iOS too. Given they are working on the mobile 1.5, it could potentially be an opportune time to fix it (for both platforms of course). 🤞🍀
We previously had a single mobile tag, because some issues are only on Android or iOS, we made the switch since people would usually not specify themselves, and it made it more difficult for the mobile team. You're welcome to create a new thread for this issue on iOS if you wish, and yes, the mobile team will look through threads here from time to time.

We previously had a single mobile tag, because some issues are only on Android or iOS, we made the switch since people would usually not specify themselves, and it made it more difficult for the mobile team. You're welcome to create a new thread for this issue on iOS if you wish, and yes, the mobile team will look through threads here from time to time.
Ah, I see, gotcha, and thanks. 🙂

vaiweeku

Newcomer
Stardew Valley Build: v1.4.5.151
Platform: Android 10
Device: Poco F1
Controller: Gamesir X2 USB-C

The issue originally reported is still there and makes the slingshot unusable and (quite fun if you ask me) uncontrollable ammunition sink.
The video provided by @PilotTM is a perfect example of the issue.
I'm still in early game, but I bet that this bug may actually become useful to defeat a harder enemy by just sinking 999 stones into it in a couple of seconds, that is if I can get to aim it.

Reminds me of the "meet the heavy" video presentation of the Heavy on Team Fortress 2:
I am heavy weapon's guy, and this is my weapon.
She weighs 150kg and fires 200$ custom tool cartridges at 10.000 rounds per minute.
It costs 400.000$ to fire this weapon for 12s.
Might just call my slingshot Sasha too.

brokenwind

Cowpoke
Less than 3 years since this bug has been reported. The issue also occurs on my device using a Gamesir X3 controller.

Hoping for a fix on the upcoming 1.5 update. Explosive ammo is useful on early skull caverns.