Mac Game crashing on Mac while loading a save file transferred from iOS

sunday

Greenhorn
Hello! I decided today that I'd like to try playing Stardew on my Mac, since I've been playing on my iPad for a few years now. I followed instructions on how to transfer the save file from the Files app to my Mac, and placed it in the ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves location. When I load the game up through Steam, the save file shows up, but once I select it, the game crashes immediately during the loading screen every time. I've re-installed Stardew, and tried undoing the last save. I'm running macOS Big Sur 11.3.

Did I miss a step or do something wrong? This is my first time playing a game through Steam, so it's very likely it's just user error.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello! I decided today that I'd like to try playing Stardew on my Mac, since I've been playing on my iPad for a few years now. I followed instructions on how to transfer the save file from the Files app to my Mac, and placed it in the ~/.config/StardewValley/Saves location. When I load the game up through Steam, the save file shows up, but once I select it, the game crashes immediately during the loading screen every time. I've re-installed Stardew, and tried undoing the last save. I'm running macOS Big Sur 11.3.

Did I miss a step or do something wrong? This is my first time playing a game through Steam, so it's very likely it's just user error.

Thank you so much for your help!
Howdy, it sounds like you did it correctly.

Occasionally mobile saves on Desktop have issues due to the way the mobile version saves data. In the past I've seen mobile versions occasionally save monsters to the farm, and Desktop SDV doesn't like that.
And, with the recent mobile updates; there could be something similar.

Zip up, and post your save here, and I can take a look: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Find_your_save_files
Also, do you know if there's any error logs in the "~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs" location?

sunday

Greenhorn
Howdy, it sounds like you did it correctly.

Occasionally mobile saves on Desktop have issues due to the way the mobile version saves data. In the past I've seen mobile versions occasionally save monsters to the farm, and Desktop SDV doesn't like that.
And, with the recent mobile updates; there could be something similar.

Zip up, and post your save here, and I can take a look: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Find_your_save_files
Also, do you know if there's any error logs in the "~/.config/StardewValley/ErrorLogs" location?
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. While I don't mind making a $15 donation to CA, it would be nice to use the desktop game I purchased...

I searched for the error logs folder and there was no error logs folder to be found at all.

Attached is my most recent save file.
Thank you again!!

Attachments

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. While I don't mind making a $15 donation to CA, it would be nice to use the desktop game I purchased...

I searched for the error logs folder and there was no error logs folder to be found at all.

Attached is my most recent save file.
Thank you again!!
No prob!
So, I took a look, and it definitely wasn't your fault. It crashed for me as well with the following error:
Code:
InnerException: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'Mill' was not found.
   at System.Enum.TryParseByName(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, UInt64& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParseInt32Enum(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Int32 minInclusive, Int32 maxInclusive, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, TypeCode type, Int32& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, Object& result)
   at Netcode.NetEnum`1.Add(String value)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read20_Chest(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read105_Mill(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read110_Building(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read113_Farm(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read190_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read237_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read238_SaveGame()
Stack Trace:    at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext()
   at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior)
   at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: AMD CAYMAN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-52-generic, LLVM 8.0.0)
In-game Date: spring 0 Y1 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: null

Same error as a previous user here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-game-crashing-when-loading-save-file.3432/post-92599

I fixed the broken mill data; which may just be a quirk of the new update.
So, all you need to do is replace the one you have on your Mac with this fixed version; and you'll be good to go.

Attachments

sunday

Greenhorn
No prob!
So, I took a look, and it definitely wasn't your fault. It crashed for me as well with the following error:
Code:
   at System.Enum.TryParseByName(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, UInt64& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParseInt32Enum(RuntimeType enumType, String originalValueString, ReadOnlySpan`1 value, Int32 minInclusive, Int32 maxInclusive, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, TypeCode type, Int32& result)
   at System.Enum.TryParse(Type enumType, String value, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean throwOnFailure, Object& result)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read20_Chest(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read105_Mill(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read110_Building(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read113_Farm(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read190_GameLocation(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read237_SaveGame(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderSaveGame.Read238_SaveGame()
Stack Trace:    at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext()

Same error as a previous user here: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/help-game-crashing-when-loading-save-file.3432/post-92599

So, all you need to do is replace the one you have on your Mac with this fixed version; and you'll be good to go.
Thank you so so much! I will run it this evening! I really appreciate you looking at this. (:

emmalil

Newcomer
No prob!
Code:

Hello I'm having the exact same issue transferred from my android over to my Mac really wanting to play my saved game from my phone on the Mac. Followed all the steps and it shows my game but crashes at the loading screen :"( help would be greatly appr after 4+hours trying to get it figured out I'm having no luck

koibot

Greenhorn
@invasionzames hi there, sorry if this is too late a reply for your problem, but this thread helped to run Stardew Valley for me! My issue was having to replace <specialChestType>Mill</specialChestType> with <specialChestType>None</specialChestType>. Your problem was different from mine, but thought I would let you know.

how did you fix this problem? I'm having the same issue, every time press the save farm from my iOS it crashes the whole software of stardew but it runs other saves just fine...

No prob!
Code: