Woot Got Living Hat for a Second Time! (Took around 2 weeks...)

Finally got the Living Hat on my second save! - here's a revised breakdown on how to get the living hat (without mods) using the quickest grinding methods..

1. No Wilderness Golem strats - The 0.01% probability is deceptive. At a 10:1 ratio probability, weeds are just much more abundant (than 10:1) and they don't require you to wait until nighttime. Furthermore, the appearance of Wilderness Golem is random, the appearance of weeds in the overworld is static.
2. Maximize Weeds spread in the overworld, and reset day after emptying out the overworld of weeds. The Mines has infinite weeds yes, but the time it takes to get there and find weeds is too long. To quickly grind for Living Hat, clear out any debris or obstacle and allow weeds to grow all over. Once there are enough weeds, just clear them all and if no Living Hat reset the day and redo again.
3. If you don't have a farm type of Riverlands, don't have a Golden Clock yet, and don't have too much things in your farm, the fastest grind and repeat method is to grow weeds til fall on your farm. Everywhere else requires travel time, and the yield to travel time makes it undesirable.

On my second save, I chose to have around ~500 weeds on my Beach Farm by the end of fall (Y1 25), and then started mega bombing (fastest weeds clearance method [vs. Sword, Scythe, etc.]). When the weeds are all cleared out, I "Exit to Title" and start over again. Not sure how to attach a video of this (doesn't look like the forum accept video formats), but here's an image (didn't miss the footage of getting the actual Living Hat this time...)

1659810140026.png

This is all super exciting, I can finally start my quest on finding all other items in this save :D Arguably there are no more grindy type items, which are the worst..

It is awfully boring :sweat: but usually when I'm grinding like this, this is my secondary task and I'm usually watching something. This time I was watching Charlie Barley and her Living Hat grind, and it was entertaining to watch her suffer with me I guess.

Honestly, it's the perfectionist me in me that carried me through this, I would not want to grind like this for any other saves...

The hat's there! Very stealthy (probably why I missed the footage the first time), but it's among the weeds. To the right of the middle Mega Bomb

Junimo Jacks

Newcomer
“The Mines has infinite weeds yes, but the time it takes to get there and find weeds is too long.”

That’s not true. It doesn’t take long at all to get to the mine levels that have weeds. The earliest you can start to get weeds in the mines is level 21, and the mines themselves unlock on the 5th day of spring of your first year. It’s not like it’ll take a long playthrough to reach that point.

What I mostly want to know is if the weeds in the mines are capable of dropping the hat at all like any weeds you find in the overworld if you keep grinding for them.

Elenna101

Farmer
“The Mines has infinite weeds yes, but the time it takes to get there and find weeds is too long.”

That’s not true. It doesn’t take long at all to get to the mine levels that have weeds. The earliest you can start to get weeds in the mines is level 21, and the mines themselves unlock on the 5th day of spring of your first year. It’s not like it’ll take a long playthrough to reach that point.

What I mostly want to know is if the weeds in the mines are capable of dropping the hat at all like any weeds you find in the overworld if you keep grinding for them.
Yes they are. The second-fastest way to get the Living Hat is to go to mines floor 81 and keep resetting for weeds.

That being said, PerfectionWhaleFarm's method is faster. It doesn't matter how long it takes to unlock floor 81 in the first place - what matters is how long it takes to find and break an average of 100,000 weeds there. That time will dwarf the amount of time it takes to get to floor 81. And when you're resetting the mines, you only get at most a few dozen weeds per reset, and you have to keep walking from the ladder to the elevator each time - it's not a long walk, no, but when you have to do it thousands of times it adds up a lot. Whereas with PerfectionWhaleFarm's method you only have to reset the day and open your door and you get hundreds of weeds, so it's a lot faster.

BTW this can also be done on the Ginger Island farm, and weeds seem to spread a lot faster there.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Yes they are. The second-fastest way to get the Living Hat is to go to mines floor 81 and keep resetting for weeds.

That being said, PerfectionWhaleFarm's method is faster. It doesn't matter how long it takes to unlock floor 81 in the first place - what matters is how long it takes to find and break an average of 100,000 weeds there. That time will dwarf the amount of time it takes to get to floor 81. And when you're resetting the mines, you only get at most a few dozen weeds per reset, and you have to keep walking from the ladder to the elevator each time - it's not a long walk, no, but when you have to do it thousands of times it adds up a lot. Whereas with PerfectionWhaleFarm's method you only have to reset the day and open your door and you get hundreds of weeds, so it's a lot faster.

BTW this can also be done on the Ginger Island farm, and weeds seem to spread a lot faster there.
Thanks for re-explaining that for me as it didn't sink in when PerfectionWhaleFarm first posted (which I remember well from August). I read it but didn't understand completely. Now I do and I think your strategy for Ginger island is ideal for an already existing save that hasn't made it to Ginger or doesn't have much set up there yet. Weeds spread super fast and I think there's no Grass there to compete with the Weeds either.

I'm getting interested in trying this out......

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah, as said before, accelerated weed growth on ginger island is the better method overall due to it being faster and the ginger island farm not having any other non pre-spawned debris to content with and needing maintenance.
It still takes a good 8-10 hours on average tho.

Sockpuppet

Planter
Finally got the Living Hat on my second save! - here's a revised breakdown on how to get the living hat (without mods) using the quickest grinding methods..

1. No Wilderness Golem strats - The 0.01% probability is deceptive. At a 10:1 ratio probability, weeds are just much more abundant (than 10:1) and they don't require you to wait until nighttime. Furthermore, the appearance of Wilderness Golem is random, the appearance of weeds in the overworld is static.
2. Maximize Weeds spread in the overworld, and reset day after emptying out the overworld of weeds. The Mines has infinite weeds yes, but the time it takes to get there and find weeds is too long. To quickly grind for Living Hat, clear out any debris or obstacle and allow weeds to grow all over. Once there are enough weeds, just clear them all and if no Living Hat reset the day and redo again.
3. If you don't have a farm type of Riverlands, don't have a Golden Clock yet, and don't have too much things in your farm, the fastest grind and repeat method is to grow weeds til fall on your farm. Everywhere else requires travel time, and the yield to travel time makes it undesirable.

On my second save, I chose to have around ~500 weeds on my Beach Farm by the end of fall (Y1 25), and then started mega bombing (fastest weeds clearance method [vs. Sword, Scythe, etc.]). When the weeds are all cleared out, I "Exit to Title" and start over again. Not sure how to attach a video of this (doesn't look like the forum accept video formats), but here's an image (didn't miss the footage of getting the actual Living Hat this time...)

View attachment 11254

This is all super exciting, I can finally start my quest on finding all other items in this save :D Arguably there are no more grindy type items, which are the worst..
That is a great achievement I did get the living hat only once but sadly it is now a deleted file, but a few days ago I did manage to receive the tea set from Alex at the feast of the winter star. First time ever and I have been playing since 2016,