Today I learned...

aworldofstars

Farmhand
The one that took my forever to learn was that when repairing fences, you don't need to break the old ones, just place the new fences on top of the broken sections!

It's definitely handy! You may already know this one, but you can also use the farmhouse/cabin's kitchen sink once you get the kitchen upgrade.
i just wait for my handy husband shane to fix em for me - ALSO, you don't NEED fences, I learned recently. The animals will come back to the coop/barn as long as the door is open.

Lew Zealand

Helper
i just wait for my handy husband shane to fix em for me - ALSO, you don't NEED fences, I learned recently. The animals will come back to the coop/barn as long as the door is open.
Actually this last one is something I didn't realize for a long time! Nothing gets fenced in any more and now I don't need to waste any time on fixing anything. Because it doesn't exist.

Which frees me up to spend days lazing next to the Slimejack pond dangling my feet in for a squishy foot massage.

This is why people choose to Farm.

aworldofstars

Farmhand
Actually this last one is something I didn't realize for a long time! Nothing gets fenced in any more and now I don't need to waste any time on fixing anything. Because it doesn't exist.

Which frees me up to spend days lazing next to the Slimejack pond dangling my feet in for a squishy foot massage.

This is why people choose to Farm.
it also helps a LOT if you're not using the standard farm, because it takes up SO much less space without fences.

Sigrah

Farmer
Wear them and talk to Lewis too. You won't be disappointed. 😁
I've known about Lewis for awhile now. I just never thought to wear them in front of Marnie until recently when it dawned on me that she might have a reaction too because we find them in her room and all that 😂 🤣 😂

nicodeux

Farmer
Weeeell, Marnie has a certain appreciation for the fine things in life... as seen at the Travelling Fleet fest!
I wonder if she still has this gossip text once Community Center is completed (and JojaMart is closed), but I guess she still has it, as festival gossip texts seem to be fixed.

I've been playing Stardew Valley for almost two years. One or two weeks ago, I learned that horse radish/spice berry/common mushroom/winter root can be placed into the seed maker to produce wild seeds of their respective season.

I have a farmer who is focused on foraging and this changed her life.
WHAT???? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS??? I've been playing Stardew for over 2 years now and this would've changed my life if I knew that-

Here are some interesting things I've learned:
1. Torches can be put on fences! Super cute for the aesthetic!
2. Grass can be put in barns/coops, houses, sheds, the cave, the greenhouse, and some other places I probably forgot of.
3. You're able to change the color of gates by putting an iron, stone, or hardwood fence down and then putting the gate on top of it!
4. You can move chests without emptying everything out! Just select an empty spot in your own inventory and repeatedly interact with the chest until it "hops".
5. Prismatic shards in your junimo hut will make the junimos rainbow colored!
6. If you put a prismatic shard OR a rainbow shell with a piece of clothing in a sewing machine, you can manually pick the color of the clothing instead of dying it.
7. You can put wood or stone signs on a fish pond and it'll display the fish and how many fish you have.
8. You can upgrade other people's tools (like your friend's tools when they're offline) and have multiple sets of tools!
9. You know the little drawers on the side tables? If you place a table on top of the other, you can then take the top one off and rotate it so it doesn't show the little drawer thing and looks like a normal table. A very oddly specific thing, but it's great for decorating.
10. If you desperately need to talk to Robin on Tuesday; wait for her to walk by the desk in the morning and you can build or buy things from her that day.
11. You can destroy bushes on the riverland or forest farm with your axe.
12. WORK BOOTS ARE VERY HARD TO FIND

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
2. Grass can be put in barns/coops, houses, sheds, the cave, the greenhouse, and some other places I probably forgot of.
3. You're able to change the color of gates by putting an iron, stone, or hardwood fence down and then putting the gate on top of it!
4. You can move chests without emptying everything out! Just select an empty spot in your own inventory and repeatedly interact with the chest until it "hops".
6. If you put a prismatic shard OR a rainbow shell with a piece of clothing in a sewing machine, you can manually pick the color of the clothing instead of dying it.
7. You can put wood or stone signs on a fish pond and it'll display the fish and how many fish you have.
8. You can upgrade other people's tools (like your friend's tools when they're offline) and have multiple sets of tools!
9. You know the little drawers on the side tables? If you place a table on top of the other, you can then take the top one off and rotate it so it doesn't show the little drawer thing and looks like a normal table. A very oddly specific thing, but it's great for decorating.
10. If you desperately need to talk to Robin on Tuesday; wait for her to walk by the desk in the morning and you can build or buy things from her that day.
I use half of these and didnt know I needed to know and use the other half. Thanks!

imnvs

Local Legend
Almost there. Shard + cloth = a random prismatic clothing item, rainbow shell + cloth = bikini top. Using either with a dyable clothing item lets you pick the color.

imnvs

Local Legend
Wait really? That's so interesting! I assume the prismatic clothing item or bikini top gets consumed on use?
No, that's how you get those items. The cloth and shard or shell are consumed, and what you get is a prismatic clothing item or the bikini. Prismatic clothing isn't dyeable, by the bikini is.

When you put a dyeable item in where cloth normally goes and shard or shell on the spool, the clothing item gets dyed as you would like and the shard or shell is consumed.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Cool, I knew all but one but also wanted to go further on some of you facts.
2. Grass can be placed on any tile except in winter but doesn't grow nor die when placed inside and animals will not eat it.
4. The faster you click, the more it will move in a certain direction and if you run into the chest at the same time it will move even farther, when I see people in videos do this they move the chest one space at a time but you can do three at a time.
5. you can put any gem in the junimo huts, not just a prismatic shard and they will be colored accordingly
7. You can also use a dark sign
10. Robin will walk past her desk at 7:50 in the evening on tuesday
11. Also on the hilltop farm

That is pretty much it, good list.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Just to be clear as I did a lot of Clothes Dyeing in the Sewing Machine before I finally got the 6 colors figured out for the Dyeing Pots:

Tailoring a Dyeable Clothing item in the Sewing Machine with the Prismatic Shard or Rainbow Shell will get you the choice of color (with color sliders) of that one item, which I didn't know until reading @imnvs post above (just tried it, that's too cool and easy).

Tailoring a Dyeable Clothing item with any Dye in the Sewing Machine will get you about a 1/3 color conversion towards that color, usually ending up in a dull gray. Doing the same again with the same color gets you a faded color version of that color, doing the same a third time gets you the saturated color version of that item. This is expensive depending on your Dye source but is what I did for quite a while.

Using the Dyeing Pots instead requires 6 dyes of the different colors (still somewhat expensive, depending) but allows you to color match 2 the Dyeable Clothing items you're wearing and gives you the color sliders for each item so you can preview it on the Dyeing UI.

Tip: Put your UI to max size beforehand to try to see the color popup easier as it's just too small, this interface needs to be bigger.