What first game mistakes did you do?

Confused

Rancher
When I was playing my first ever playthrough, I worked really hard to make a field snack, you know that kinda garbage, baby's first energy source?

Yeah, I made one of those bad boys and gave it to Shane, he hated it, and my little heart shattered... I also found a dinosaur egg once and donated it!- :'D

What silly mistakes did you do?

LRangerR

Local Legend
Hey don't judge field snacks, lest they judge you.

I still get great use out of field snacks on new playthroughs, but to be honest you can get better use out of them by selling their nuts for some chump change once you no longer feel like eating a bunch of nuts crammed into a small wrapper.

As for early mistakes, I didn't know where the secret woods were and was killing myself to try to get some hardwood.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Donated Dinosaur Egg. It's an artifact, whatever else would you do with it??
Didn't watch TV. It rots your brain.
Didn't eat Spring Onions. Because you get g for them.
Didn't make Field Snacks. Because I missed that screen on the UI.
Went to bed at 4:30 many days. Because no Energy.
Didn't cut down Trees outside Farm. Because they're not mine.
Didn't sell anything for a while. Because they might be Help Wanted requests.
Didn't gift Flowers to the Guys. Because Ladies like Flowers 🙄🙄🙄
Bought Hay for Animals and fed them manually for many Seasons.

This is an Iceberg. You see but the very tip, however the whole giant mess propping that up? She is still lurking under the cold, choppy waters of the Southern Ocean, a coiled spring straining to puncture through an unsuspecting passing vessel.

Beware.

hexnessie

Farmer
Very very firstly like first week of playing, I kept destroying my own crops with the axe or pickaxe. I couldn't get it sorted how to change tools, where the tool is swinging, which tool is selected, etc. Plus the icon for hoe and axe looked kind of similar.

It was incredibly frustrating. I was ready to bite my keyboard.

Elenna101

Farmer
Hey don't judge field snacks, lest they judge you.

I still get great use out of field snacks on new playthroughs, but to be honest you can get better use out of them by selling their nuts for some chump change once you no longer feel like eating a bunch of nuts crammed into a small wrapper.

As for early mistakes, I didn't know where the secret woods were and was killing myself to try to get some hardwood.
Same! I totally didn't notice that log and eventually had to look up where to get fiddlehead fern. It was fall year 2 when I looked this up. I was not happy to find out that I needed to wait 3 more seasons.
(Although I also didn't get a truffle until spring or summer year 3 because of not knowing how to make money, so it's not like it delayed me all that much in the grand scheme of things.)

Speaking of which, I only had <5 jars and kegs for probably years, because I didn't pay attention to the shipping screen and I didn't realize how much they increased profit.

Wasted several in-game hours wandering around trying to figure out how the heck to talk to people, because I didn't think that maybe right click might do something.

Wasted a bunch of materials for years crafting speed-gro to put on my cranberries, because I knew it gave an extra harvest for blueberries and I assumed cranberries were the same (they aren't). I literally made a whole spreadsheet about crops, which included the number of harvests both with and without fertilizer. I correctly wrote in the spreadsheet that you get 5 harvests with fertilizer, and 5 without. Then I played a whole year after that before I managed to properly look at my own spreadsheet and realize the fertilizer was a complete waste.

Boo1972

Farmer
Very very firstly like first week of playing, I kept destroying my own crops with the axe or pickaxe. I couldn't get it sorted how to change tools, where the tool is swinging, which tool is selected, etc. Plus the icon for hoe and axe looked kind of similar.

It was incredibly frustrating. I was ready to bite my keyboard.
I, ahem, used the pickaxe on my first ancient fruit plant. I didn’t even get a fruit off of it.

I was out late one night and noticed the the owl flying overhead. I though it must lead me to an important place or event, so I followed it as far as I could. Needless to say, it didn’t lead to anything special. But, an owl flying by at night still makes me smile.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
I, ahem, used the pickaxe on my first ancient fruit plant. I didn’t even get a fruit off of it.

I was out late one night and noticed the the owl flying overhead. I though it must lead me to an important place or event, so I followed it as far as I could. Needless to say, it didn’t lead to anything special. But, an owl flying by at night still makes me smile.
Back in those wonderful beginning days of playing the game, when one didn't know what was significant and what was not, a flying owl at dusk could be very interesting and potentially the source of a mystery. Thankfully, the mechanics of the game prevents one from walking off cliffs, otherwise, while looking up, I would have fallen down one and rolled into the ocean, and the only mystery would be how far I would have to swim to get back into the game.

MissDandy

Farmer
Back in those wonderful beginning days of playing the game, when one didn't know what was significant and what was not, a flying owl at dusk could be very interesting and potentially the source of a mystery. Thankfully, the mechanics of the game prevents one from walking off cliffs, otherwise, while looking up, I would have fallen down one and rolled into the ocean, and the only mystery would be how far I would have to swim to get back into the game.
Ah yes, the owl chasing days, I remember them. How young and naïve we all were :laugh: I still like to see it too though.

Sigrah

Farmer
I don't know which one is my biggest, but here are my Top 3 first timer mistakes:

1) I gave Maru *SPOILER* batteries thinking "whatever will I use these things for?". Then later on, I was like "Oh. This is what I need those for." as I looked at the recipe for *SPOILER* iridium sprinklers.

2) I bought my deluxe speed-gro from Pierre for the longest time because I didn't know *SPOILER* Sandy sells it *SPOILER* for almost half the price on Thursdays in the desert.

3) I ignored artisan goods for the longest time because I thought it was too expensive and time consuming to build extra *Deluxe Barns to house the various forms of artisan equipment in. Then I did the math and said...well...a whole bunch of words I cannot repeat on this forum. That was also the day I searched for and found a farm layout planner so I could actually plan out and optimize things instead of just scattering things all over the place, which was critical for me in expanding to artisan goods.

* - Deluxe Barns were better for housing artisan machines before the Big Shed was added to the game because Deluxe Barns could house way more machines than the standard Shed was able to.

Lew Zealand

Helper
2) I bought my deluxe speed-gro from Pierre for the longest time because I didn't know *SPOILER* Sandy sells it *SPOILER* for almost half the price on Thursdays in the desert.
Um.

Yeah, I totally knew your second thingy listed there before you conveniently posted it. For my benefit.

That was very thoughtful of you to remind me of this strategy which surely was a key cornerstone of my personal knowledge.

Jeremiah

Tiller
When I was playing my first ever playthrough, I worked really hard to make a field snack, you know that kinda garbage, baby's first energy source?

Yeah, I made one of those bad boys and gave it to Shane, he hated it, and my little heart shattered... I also found a dinosaur egg once and donated it!- :'D

What silly mistakes did you do?
I once sold all of my tree seeds (up to 30 or more of each) and sold them right before getting the field snack recipe ;v;