Windows Why is this game becoming so demanding?

vajking

Greenhorn
I can't even start the game without going to beta compatibility mode, which doesn't let me screenshot, so removing the white screen is that much more painful.
Also if your laptop/monitor is not the specific resolution, don't even think about going into a fullscreen because you'll see only half of your hotbar.
Not to even mention my game crashing for the first time since I own it. I thought this game got the final endgame update, what's happening with these huge updates that are making it harder and harder to keep up with older laptops?..
Can we get an option to play on an earlier version? This is the only game I play and I'm really sorry if I'm coming of as ungrateful. This is one of the only ways my ldr partner and I can hang out while gaming bc my laptop is pretty old.

My crash report says to check my drivers for an update, everything is up to date. I even tried disabling firewall and security completely to see if that fixes something, I tried installing redist and .net; I tried literally every possible solution offered by reddit/communities/youtube.. I even reinstalled my w10 OS because I like this game so much. Nothing worked, I can play it in beta compatibility mode but as i already said, it crashes and commands I need are disabled.

Will there be a solution to this or will I have to play in beta compatibility mode from now on?

Reactions: Tom

Lew Zealand

Helper
The game should still run well on some pretty old hardware. I ran the v1.5.4 version on a 13 year old Mac (from 2009) for a while. I'll try v1.5.6 now just to see. You may need to reinstall it? What computer do you have or how old is it?

Tom

Farmer
I think something might have very recently happened to the code base. 13 days ago I installed Steam and Stardew Valley to an old laptop for a family multiplayer session. It ran fine, but the computer needed some serious cleanup because the hard drive was always at 100% usage. This week I wiped the files and reinstalled Windows. Once Windows came up fresh, Stardew Valley tells me that Monogame can't run. And it appears there is no way to fix this. I know that this very computer was running the latest SDV 13 days ago. So I am not sure what happened.

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK I just installed v1.5.6 (last updated 3 days ago from GOG) on a 2009 MacBook Pro and after getting around the older OS limitation (had to install Compatibility mode version because Mac OS 10.11.6), it works great. Smooth scrolling, responsive, tools work.

My screen is 1440x900 and everything fits though the UI is big. IMO the UI doesn't scale well to lower resolutions so I like to keep it at 100% but I'm sure if I just set it to 75%, I'd get over it. My oldest PC is only 8 years old and is on Win 10 but I can try it there, too. Let me know how old your PC is and I can see if an 11 year old one I have at the office (2011 Dell) still fires up and I'll try there.

vajking

Greenhorn
The game should still run well on some pretty old hardware. I ran the v1.5.4 version on a 13 year old Mac (from 2009) for a while. I'll try v1.5.6 now just to see. You may need to reinstall it? What computer do you have or how old is it?
I reinstalled it multiple times, both the game and steam, I have latitude e6410, google says it was released in 2010. I did not have issues with earlier versions either. Thanks for the help!

Tom

Farmer
I would like to have precise details about exactly what is missing on these older computers, assuming it's a single thing that keeps Monogame from running? Are they missing the minimum version of OpenGL? It seems exact details on this are fuzzy.

vajking

Greenhorn
OK I just installed v1.5.6 (last updated 3 days ago from GOG) on a 2009 MacBook Pro and after getting around the older OS limitation (had to install Compatibility mode version because Mac OS 10.11.6), it works great. Smooth scrolling, responsive, tools work.

My screen is 1440x900 and everything fits though the UI is big. IMO the UI doesn't scale well to lower resolutions so I like to keep it at 100% but I'm sure if I just set it to 75%, I'd get over it. My oldest PC is only 8 years old and is on Win 10 but I can try it there, too. Let me know how old your PC is and I can see if an 11 year old one I have at the office (2011 Dell) still fires up and I'll try there.
Sorry , I did not see you replied twice. I just checked full screen and it now fits much better, I guess that was fixed by reinstalling and/or restarting laptop.
Also I just played with my co op and it did not crash this time but it did lag and kicked people out. When one player got kicked he could walk only like he was exhausted, eventho his energy was maxed. Had to restart the session and he walked fine; it was funny tho when other player kept catching iridium fish bc they did not move, he got legendary iridium.

Except that, my only problem is that I cannot screenshot in the beta compatibility mode and when my screen turns white(for some reason that happens in game on my laptop) i cannot quickly solve it, i have to press 5 keys lol; so if someone has any advice on that I would be thankful.

Thank you again for your time!
Also my English is not very good, so sorry about that!

vajking

Greenhorn
I'm interested to see what you find. This laptop is about 12 years old 11/26/2012 and has onboard Intel HD graphics version 8.15.10.2900. Supposedly there is no update.
Have you tried to right click on the game in library>properties>verify integrity of game files? If not maybe try to launch it in beta compatibility mode; those options are what works for most people(if you do not count restarting your pc or restarting/reinstalling game or steam). I'm not a tech savvy but I did watch so many videos and read so many articles about sv not launching lol. oh also firewall/antivirus sometimes is the issue. If you solve it please update me haha

Lew Zealand

Helper
I reinstalled it multiple times, both the game and steam, I have latitude e6410, google says it was released in 2010. I did not have issues with earlier versions either. Thanks for the help!
I'm interested to see what you find. This laptop is about 12 years old 11/26/2012 and has onboard Intel HD graphics version 8.15.10.2900. Supposedly there is no update.
OK my oldest laptop here at home is from 2013 but the one at work is from 2011. There are native Windows 10 drivers from Intel for 2012 and later CPUs with integrated graphics (which all these machines have) which includes Tom's and mine at home.

My 2011 and vajking's 2010 only get a generic Windows driver and no official GPU support from Intel and yeah, these could see problems at any time. I won't get to that work laptop for a week so I can't test it for a while. Which is Very Annoying!

I want to know NOW!!! /Veruca Salt