Quirinea

Farmer
Are you suggesting that the members should help the mods distinguish the spam and regular posts?
Do you trust people at the forum?
I don't know how much I should trust people on this forums, as I have not been here long. Many forums have some kind of user reporting system. I mentioned cleaning spam from a forum. At first I reported, reported, reported, as a regular user (seeing spam pour in while US was asleep), some time later I got the rights to clean that mess myself instead of just reporting. On most forums most users are trustworthy. On every forum there are trolls and the like.

mouse

Farmer
In that way, we would decrease the number of spam in a different language.
As time progresses, we will discuss again if we feel more comfortable having a non-English speaking forum in the future.
I am suggesting taking a baby step.
What do you think?
I don't think the language rules are really in place solely to prevent spammers (people breaking rules to spam don't tend to obey rules about language :D), though. One of the moderators did already respond and said they would definitely discuss the suggestion though, so good luck :)

I don't think the language rules are really in place solely to prevent spammers (people breaking rules to spam don't tend to obey rules about language :D), though. One of the moderators did already respond and said they would definitely discuss the suggestion though, so good luck :)
Edit:

I did not say we would have zero spam. I mean, we can have a few instead of many.
The mods will raise their flags if the thread with regular posts or spam is in a different language.
Therefore, the forum members won't continue having conversations in different languages. –if it were spam, that would be deleted.
The rules make some impact in our forum despite that people are breaking the rules.

If you disagree, what's your suggestion?

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Just to clarify my previous message a bit more, what I was trying to say last time is that changing the server language rule doesn't change anything when it comes to spam. We already get spammers posting in all sorts of languages, those sorts of accounts are never trying to follow forums rules and they're certainly not going to be concerned about keeping things in English while they try to get people to click strange links. I agree that it's generally very easy to distinguish spam messages regardless of the language.

The issues that can arise from moderating messages in languages we aren't fluent tend to be much more nuanced. For example, something like Google Translate may let us see if someone is using a curse word in another language, but it doesn't give us an understanding of modern slang that exists in that language. An example was given in this thread of someone asking for asking for help. There are lots of different ways someone could ask for help; they could be polite or they could rude and abrasive to those attempting to help them. When we moderate messages in English, it's easy to understand when someone might need a gentle reminder of the rules.

None of this is not to argue against the original suggestion, I just wanted to expand on my last message. The staff team is discussing this one, and we are considering a few other small updates to the rules as well.

None of this is not to argue against the original suggestion, I just wanted to expand on my last message. The staff team is discussing this one, and we are considering a few other small updates to the rules as well.
Keep it posted... I am curious to know what the staff is thinking about my suggestion.
If things are too complicated or uncomfortable for you, we will all understand it...