FIX FISHING ITS TERRIBLE

Yeah fishing gets Very easy later on, still, catching Lava Eels and Octopodes proves challenging regardless of your in-game skill level unless your personal skill in the minigame is adequate. I love it, but then again I'm on PC using a mouse and keyboard. Mobile I can see being challenging based on my experience with games such as Crashlands (too easy to obscure what you're doing with your fingers), so I can see an external controller being incredibly helpful there. Others have covered initial tips quite well (use a training rod, fish in shallow water, etc). The other big thing is just powering through it. It only takes a couple of days of fishing to get up to 5 skill if you have the hang of things, so the 'hard part' is quite short, compared to how long it takes to level up foraging for example.

Three things I'll add to what others have said:
1) Pressing the appropriate input, in whatever way, adds Upwards Momentum to the bar, it does not raise it. This means, if it's heading downwards, repeated short presses Slow Down the bar, while holding it (which should be done VERY RARELY) will slow down the bar to a stop, then start it heading upwards, pretty rapidly. If you're trying to hold still, you need to press and release the input repeatedly to cancel out the downwards momentum naturally gained whenever the input is not being pressed. If you're "climbing" to where a fish is, you need to let go BEFORE you get there, so you don't fly past it, and can "hover" over it using those repeated short presses. If you're "dropping" to a fish, you need to start pressing the input BEFORE you get there, so you don't drop past it. I'm sure there's tutorials out there, but practice is the best teacher as they say. Just focus on getting used to HOW the bar responds to your inputs, more than catching the fish, and you'll get there in no time.
2) The single biggest thing that makes it easier is having a bigger bar. Beyond the training rod, the other way to achieve that is a higher fishing skill. Trout soup will give you a boost, and if you're *really* struggling, remember crab pots give you fishing XP as well, without the minigame. You can focus on those until you have an in-game skill level adequate to compensate for any personal struggles you may have.
3) There's some tricks which help with the harder fish, once you have the basics down pat. If you have a fish which quickly jerks an extreme distance in either direction (like the aforementioned lava eel or octopus), Don't Over Pursue! If they flew half a bar or more away, and you try to chase them, they'll likely fly back to where they were before you get there. A more consistently successful strategy is to wait for them to come back to you and focus on pursuing them when their motions are Not as extreme. Also, a lot of fish are bottom feeders. If a fish is hanging at the bottom, it's really easy to "bounce" the bar off the bottom and potentially lose the fish. As indicated above, if you tap at the right time and decelerate correctly, you can "land" on the bottom without bouncing, and mastering that technique will make catching All fish easier, but especially the ones which tend to hang right at that bottom marker. There are other tricks as well but those are the two biggest ones I'd recommend focusing on when you start going after more advanced fish.

chensley

Newcomer
If you're not able to control the rod with the mouse or the keyboard, something may be going on with your hardware or your keybindings. Left-clicking is the way to control it with the mouse; is it supposed to be C with the keyboard, all? I don't use the keyboard much unless I'm being piled on by children while I play.
same lack of control with either mouse or keyboard, it is either at the bottom or the top, no in between. got the SkipFishingMinigame mod and now the game is playable.

ELSANNA

Newcomer
Well I am playing on mobile I try somewhat often but I still can't catch a frickin fish if mah life DEPENDED on it help me well ok I can catch some once in awhile but most of the time I can't catch nothing

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
It is hard at first. I'm an old lady and I had to have my daughter fish for me to get my level up enough so I could do it. I just don't have the eye/hand ooordination (never played video games and I only got this one to entertain me through the pandemic). But, it's now my favorite thing to do and I do it by myself on all the other games.

The trick is to only focus on keeping inside the green bar and ignoring he bar that shows when you reach the top. Just trust that it will stop when it gets there. Get a better pole as soon as you can. Get the cork bobber because it will increase the bar. Eat some trout soup until you can make your own fishing buffs. If it's hard to control because of the bounce on the bottom of the bar, use the barbed hook because it will stick and not bounce. That's a good interim step until you understand how it works.

My new file is the river farm because I enjoy the fishing soooo much! Keep at it...you will get the hang of it...It's really hard until you can get the bar bigger.

imnvs

Local Legend
Well I am playing on mobile I try somewhat often but I still can't catch a frickin fish if mah life DEPENDED on it help me well ok I can catch some once in awhile but most of the time I can't catch nothing
First thing's first... are you using the training rod or the bamboo one Willy gave you? Use the training rod until your fishing skill is higher.

Tom

Farmer
TL;DR: Training Rod through Fishing L. 3-4. Full 3-4 days fishing at pier. Mobile fishing broken.

I don't know about console. I'd like to hear more about the problem. Granted, mobile fishing is basically broken, at least the last time I tried it. And I refuse to fish on mobile. The problem I experience is that Farmer runs away some of the time instead of casting. It was really hard for me to even cast. But the minigame itself was no worse than Windows/Steam.

Everybody has covered the minigame pretty well, but I will just say that the secret to fishing is to buy and use the Training Rod through Fishing Level 3 or 4 (makes your bar longer) and to fish straight for 3 or 4 days. Once you reach level 4 (or if you get good at the minigame), you may want to switch to using the Bamboo Rod with Trout Soup to get quality fish. If you fish from the pier in front of Willy's Fish Shop using the Training Rod (don't even touch the minigame buttons), you will level up. I did multiple tests on this in another thread (I can't find it now) and verified that with no button-pushing you can level up to 1 and sometimes 2 in a day. That's right; no button-pushing; passive minigame.

Last edited:

Flav

Farmhand
The training rod really works and I don't know the mechanics on the console but it's hard seems more fun to me lol. I would really like to try the mechanics on the console.

hexnessie

Farmer
FISHING MECHANIC ON CONSOLE IS TERRIBLE FIX IT
Hey, just so you know it, I don't like fishing either (on PC). I'm not great with reflexes and mobility, and I don't like arcade elements in my resource and time management games.

BUT

BUT

You only need to catch each fish ONCE. Then you can happily replicate as many as you need by old-fashioned farming in fish ponds. And get some interesting roe and items while you farm it.

I actually used the Training Rod until I was level 9 Fishing. Never had the need to use anything else, and only switched out to be able to attach bait and tackle.

ALSO, eat food that gives + to fishing - it really helps! As you level up and eat better food, that bluegreen bar is going to take up nearly 1/3 of the fishing area, and it becomes much much easier.

I mean, even I caught the blobfish in the end. And believe me, I'm really bad at it. But I got 'her, and now I have 4 ponds full of blobfish.

Elenna101

Farmer
I don't know about console. I'd like to hear more about the problem. Granted, mobile fishing is basically broken, at least the last time I tried it. And I refuse to fish on mobile. The problem I experience is that Farmer runs away some of the time instead of casting. It was really hard for me to even cast. But the minigame itself was no worse than Windows/Steam.
Yeah, you have to press the tile right in front of the farmer, then they should cast instead of trying to move to where you touched. It's pretty silly and I wish they would change it.

I actually used the Training Rod until I was level 9 Fishing. Never had the need to use anything else, and only switched out to be able to attach bait and tackle.
Uh... I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that the training rod sets your green bar to the "level 5 fishing" size regardless of what level you're at, which means that if you're using it at fishing level 5 or above you're actually making the bar smaller and making things harder on yourself (as well as preventing yourself from getting quality fish).
That being said, I agree with everyone else that the training rod is super helpful at low levels. Just not higher ones.

EDIT: did some testing and nevermind, ignore what I said above, I'm just wrong about that.

Last edited:

Tom

Farmer
I found an old test I did that showed I got to Level 2 (418 XP) on Spring 2 from the ocean without moving the green bar. Here were other conclusions I made:

• "If you aren't getting to Fishing 2 or very close on Spring 2, you may as well not be moving the bar at all"
  • "The Training Rod is a really helpful addition in 1.4 for people that couldn't fish"
  • "You really, really should be fishing all day Spring 2-4"
  • (since I formally measured the green bar) "Don't use the Trout Soup for buff with the Training Rod. And in no case keep using the Training rod past Fishing 3"
Also opinions/advice based on the test:
  • Spring 2-4 are all about experience, not money, except that a Fiberglass Rod helps you catch more fish.
  • Stick with the Training Rod until you can afford the Fiberglass Rod. (This is not what I have been doing. But it seems clear from the data.) For me this is usually 4:00 Spring 3 or noon Spring 4.
  • Use Trout Soup only if needed for energy until you buy the Fiberglass Road. Then use Trout Soup for buff.

I found an old test I did that showed I got to Level 2 (418 XP) on Spring 2 from the ocean without moving the green bar. Here were other conclusions I made:
So I checked it out briefly, seems fair across the board, though I strongly disagree with the idea that fishing 2-4 is about XP, not money. For me, it's about XP AND money. My general strategy, after having tested with the training rod, is this:
Spring 2, head almost immediately to the beach, catch a few fish before Willy opens up, get a training rod.
Fish until 6:30 or so using the training rod, then switch back to the normal rod so I can catch Halibut and higher quality fish. At Fishing 3 (what I'm generally at by then or close to it), I can generally perfect catch the "easy" fish with the normal rod anyway, and if I do the quality bonus is just icing on top. The Halibut are the real reason for the switch back though, a gold star halibut perfect caught is 55 XP, and is worth 120G, which is key to the goal of getting 2500-3000 by Spring 3. Trout Soup did not appreciably impact my perfect catch rate or income, at least not to the point where it gained me more money or XP after testing.

Spring 3, head to the beach immediately, fish until Willy is open, get a fiberglass rod, 2-4 trout soup, and 50+ bait, depending on available money. Head straight to the town river south of Jodi's house, fish up catfish and whatever else you can get there. Fish until 1, head home, sleep, select "fisher" for your level 5 perk, sell the fish, take in 6-8k depending on how the day went and what my catch percentage was of catfish.

That's my general preferred strategy for Spring 2&3, and I find that having that amount of money (with a fiberglass rod already in hand) helps get a very strong start that early in the year. The part of your testing and thoughts I didn't get is how you are getting the beach bridge repaired on Spring 2. I'm only able to get about 100 wood per energy bar at start of game, so even if I spent *all* of my energy and built no chests Spring 1 (which would be very different from my normal spring 1) I just don't see how I would achieve that mark. What are you doing to be able to achieve that, and how much are you earning (on average) from the tide pool contents on Spring 2 / Spring 3?

Tom

Farmer
For me, it's about XP AND money.
For a decent gamer, I think that's true. For somebody who is on the verge of avoiding fishing entirely, things like Catfish are probably out of the question. You made many good points that I agree with, and your routine sounds really good.

The part of your testing and thoughts I didn't get is how you are getting the beach bridge repaired on Spring 2.
Repairing the bridge on Spring 2 is an aggressive strategy based on the reasoning that:
  • I'm trying to get early foraging experience for Tappers -> Oak Resin -> Kegs -> Pale Ale
  • I'm going to be at the beach, so I get income and Foraging experience from the Tidal Pools at a low time cost.
  • I can recoup the cost of my heroics with Tidal Pool income.
Here are the heroics I do and trade-offs I make to get that much wood (it's all about Salads):
  • Meticulous energy management and buy Salads on Spring 1.
    • Only 13 Parsnips, 1 Green Bean, and 1 Cauliflower. Or 15 Parsnips.
    • No rock and wood debris cleaning.
    • Chop tree tops only (not Oak) after planting.
    • Forage early in the day and sell Daffodils and Wild Horseradish to buy Salads. I think I even use most of my starting gold for Salads so I can chop well toward 400 Wood for a Chest at the Farm, a Chest at the Beach, and Bridge Repair. I may also have sold 2 Parsnip seeds sometimes since I won't be using them until Spring 13 when I will have lots of Fishing income.
  • Finish chopping on Spring 2 before heading to Beach.
    • After watering, chop just enough tree tops to take 350 Wood to the Beach for Bridge Repair and Chest.
    • Forage and sell the Tidal Pool loot before starting fishing.

Last edited:

nicodeux

Farmer
Sorry to be blunt, but calling fishing "terrible" in caplocks is overreacting in my opinion.

I first started playing Stardew Valley on mobile and when I tried fishing, I had such a hard time that I wondered if fishing mechanics were suitable for mobile touch inputs. I even looked at videos to ensure that it was possible.

Then, I kept trying until I found my marks and I am now able to reliably catch any fish in the game, up to the point that when I bought Stardew Valley on PC months later, I found it harder to fish on PC than on mobile.

So, yes: early fishing is significantly harder than other primary professions, but this has probably to be understood game balance-wise because fishing is very profitable in early game. Unlike farming, you don't have to wait for days to get a sellable product when fishing. Unlike mining, you don't have to patiently unlock levels and fight monsters to get access to higher quality products when fishing. Unlike foraging, there isn't a set number of available products for the day/week.

Therefore, from a game design point of view, making fishing harder at first is a good way to prevent players from exploiting it for income in early game. It is hard but not terrible.

Last edited:

BlueRex66

Newcomer
Can someone tell me if there is a mod to make fishing easier? I suck and I can't keep the fish from staying at the bottom of the meter.

If rather this play like Animal Crossing or Rune Factory

Boo1972

Farmer
Fishing is almost universally hard at first. In game, your best bet is to buy the training rod and trout soup from Willy early on and power through until you hit level 5 or above. But, at least for mobile and PC, the mechanics are similar to Geometry Dash and Flappy Bird. You could try taking a break from the game and practicing with other games. On console, I have absolutely no other advice. Well, you could restart the day you receive the fishing rod over and over and over again until you become comfortable fishing. I had to do that in the mines when I switched to PC. I think it took me at least 10 times on an infested floor before I finally got the hang of combat. Good luck!

BlueRex66

Newcomer
Fishing is almost universally hard at first. In game, your best bet is to buy the training rod and trout soup from Willy early on and power through until you hit level 5 or above. But, at least for mobile and PC, the mechanics are similar to Geometry Dash and Flappy Bird. You could try taking a break from the game and practicing with other games. On console, I have absolutely no other advice. Well, you could restart the day you receive the fishing rod over and over and over again until you become comfortable fishing. I had to do that in the mines when I switched to PC. I think it took me at least 10 times on an infested floor before I finally got the hang of combat. Good luck!
I could actually handle combat fine surprisingly.

Brandinrenee

Newcomer
I agree with the post.
I've been playing this game for 2 years now and have never gotten better at the actual fishing. I barely got crab pots, which helped with leveling but no matter the level, the rod or the lure/bait, I CANNOT get the fishing mini game to work if the fish is a mover. I have nerve damage in my hands, so I can't just get better at it either.
Sorry, not sorry, the game mechanic is awful and I buy the fish I need for the Community Center from the travelling cart. I've never finished it in less than two years. I'm not even ashamed.
The fishing shouldn't be so horrible. I've never had so many issues with a fishing mini game.

Last edited: