Rare Seed

it possibly depends on where you are in your game (how early). If you dont have access to the secret forest, this can probably wait. It might be better to determine the answer to this question for yourself (the need is based on individual timing, cash and progression) by visiting the wiki page for rare seeds to see what these do for you in the game, to check if what it provides is a current priority, and to check if you have access to things that would make this doable and useful at the current time (e.g., it is used in secret woods, but you can't access secret woods without an upgraded axe to break a fallen log. The seeds grow the Sweet Gem Berry that is needed to gain a stardrop to increase your energy. But if you don't have the required pre-requisites, then it might be a waste of your money if you're in early game.):

Note: The wiki is an almost necessary resource throughout gameplay for folks that want questions answered early that don't rely on player strategy.

Last edited:

Worblehat

Planter
I'd just add that aside from the stardrop use case mentioned above, they are quite profitable as crops. So if you can afford the seeds and don't have better ways to make money yet, sure, buy them.

As I recall I bought a few seeds in late summer Year 1 (one for the stardrop, the rest for profit), more seeds (starting somewhat earlier, and visiting the cart more diligently) in Year 2 for more profit, and haven't thought about them at all in Year 3. I could go visit the cart and grow them on Ginger Island, but at this point it doesn't seem worth the bother since the additional profit would be negligible, not worth the additional running around.

I'd just add that aside from the stardrop use case mentioned above, they are quite profitable as crops. So if you can afford the seeds and don't have better ways to make money yet, sure, buy them.

As I recall I bought a few seeds in late summer Year 1 (one for the stardrop, the rest for profit), more seeds (starting somewhat earlier, and visiting the cart more diligently) in Year 2 for more profit, and haven't thought about them at all in Year 3. I could go visit the cart and grow them on Ginger Island, but at this point it doesn't seem worth the bother since the additional profit would be negligible, not worth the additional running around.
Yeah, good point, I considered the profit for these as well (before lazily settling on Ancient Fruit which doesnt need re-sowing), just the maturation period being 28 days and then having to re-sow the other feels like a long time and a lot of work each month, but good point, good gold production with them. I wish the wiki had DPL3 extension installed to create dynamic data tables (pulling data from wiki page infobox templates of pages in certain categories for easy, quick data sorting and comparison on-wiki of cost per time etc., if they can't move forward with Cargo extension they planned to use I mean)... Oh well, off topic here.

I'll have to do a table with all the data I'm after one day I guess.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Rare seeds are truly only profitable when you can buy them for 1000g at the travelling cart. Any other source and your profits start going down pretty quickly.

Also, the math has been done and growing rare seeds for sweet gem berries using deluxe fertilizer is a profitable strategy as well.

I think this is what you're looking for. 🙂 (From the sticky Mega Thread of Resources at the top of the Guides & Resources subforum - lots of good stuff in there).

Some of the wiki pages already have the value per time calculations, for example the Keg Productivity family of pages.
Yeah I saw that, but no that is not what I meant. I was meaning more an on-wiki tool to do a basic comparison that aggregates (gathers multiple points of data, visible all at once) into comparison tables that doesn't hide some of that data (seems odd to have the data in the infobox templates but not to have all data aggregated into sortable tables on-wiki, most wikis offer data tables).

All info on all crops in one page no extra clicks or inputs and sortable columns so all data is laid bare, no pre-selections. You're right though in terms of profits, with how the seasons work, that is a great tool. I guess I just don't love the idea of not seeing all the data not having columns as different data points to sort by, and having to re-sow something over and over, that’s time and work not considered... I suppose i'm a bit lazy or impatient in that regard 😂. And, I don't love the idea of having to know my input parameters prior to viewing the data I want to see. Sometimes we find what we're looking for by browsing different data points, tables with sortable columns that lay all the data out allow us to do that.

Edit: People often come to data with a variety of priorities, so sorting (while still being able to see all the other data columns) is often preferable to me. It looks like a wonderful tool, I wish I could compare other facets of crops with it and sort by multiple columns like Mediawiki tables can without the other data being hidden behind extra clicks and inputs. Still, a wonderful tool. I'm after something a bit different than a calculator.

Last edited:
I did see that, thank you, though each item's details are buried under a series of clicks, that's the part I think isn't translating well maybe in how I'm saying it--my fault. I'm wishing there was a display of all crop data in a single, easily sortable table (on-wiki) as is normal on many wikis. In a calculator, I cant see the individual item data unless I hover each one, i cant compare each item's attributes side by side against each other, which is the point of a data table for me. And sortable via one or even better, several columns--that is what I'm after and is achievable in MediaWiki.

That profits tool is great, it is a calculator for a specific purpose. When I want a calculator, I'll definitely go there. When I want to browse multi-column data between disparate items, I'll be looking for a tool that aggregates rather than filters.

I also dont want to reset form fields over and over to compare data between items. I guess I'm the only weirdo who likes unadulterated data tables and not simplified visual infographic/charts with details under extra clicks.

Ignore me. I'm always the odd gal out thinking of things in a slightly different vein that I can communicate because I have communication issues (neuro problems make word-finding a massive challenge) lol 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Yeah, saw that too, that's definitely closer. I did read through that entire thread and check out all of the tools including that one, thanks for the effort. As a wiki admin for another game wiki, I guess I'm always looking for ways to help on wikis for games I love. Wrong place for that though, the topic just made me realize what I was craving on wiki but felt a gap for. I posted about it on the admin notice board page of wiki about an alternate data extension (it isn't ideal but it presents an alternative to nothing for this, since they haven't solved their Cargo extension puzzle) to see if there is appetite to create automated data tables (on wiki) that will maintain and update themselves when new content is added to pages there. I'd guess the cargo extension puzzle is what caused these awesome tools to be generated, there was a need and folks did amazing developing them, which is pretty cool.

Thanks! 🙂

Edit: Too bad, at current it is a no for using data tools on wiki. And also now I understand why people create solutions off site rather than on the wiki, advanced MW functionality or significant changes are off-limits there. That's okay, I can export the data and import and privatize a copy to play with it on my own (local machine) to explore data formatting possibilities. 🙂

Last edited:

Worblehat

Planter
so sorting (while still being able to see all the other data columns) is often preferable to me
I see; yes, that makes perfect sense, and is a significant part of my job. So naturally I don't think in those terms when I'm off playing (or thinking about) a game... 😛 I haven't seen that kind of thing on gaming wikis, as far as I can remember. But maybe Stardew Valley is the only game I play where it would make much sense.

I understand, it is not super common to see data tables for games though for other wikis it is common. We use this kind of thing on another standalone game wiki I work on but am taking a break from. Even quite a few fan wikis make use of them. With almost 800 characters to collect and use on a person's team in the one game I play (each with multiple different skills and attributes, that makes fostering a team tricky, so important for players to be able to compare powers/skills, rarity, obtainment source, cost, and stats for example, as well as other facets). It was amazing how in-depth players wanted to see the data and now I understand why, it gives interesting insights. Doing it by hand was a nightmare to maintain. Tools to automate, aggregate and create cool displays helped tremendously and allowed us to do all kinds of tables users wanted. Grabbing a new data displays being just a new short query on a page. Apparently there is fun in the complexity for some, nerding out for enjoyment on the nerdy bits 🤓 as well as the gameplay lol. 🙃
The Stardew wiki is much tighter in terms of it's accuracy and factualness than the other wiki (which meanders in explaining where to find buttons etc which feels unnecessary) so, I really appreciate this one more than the other in terms of its tightness and giving only what is necessary--perfect.

Export can take this off-site to a local MW copy, so the nerding can still be done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought, dont worry about it, I have exported a copy of wiki pages and created a local (personal offline copy) to play with the creation of dynamic data tables for educational purposes without mucking anything up there. Eventually they might sort out their Cargo extension and maybe I can contribute bits if if the mods don't lock it completely down. I'm having fun nerding out offline 🙂

Last edited:

Sockpuppet

Sodbuster
Bloody oath, I buy as many seeds from the travelling cart as I can in the first year, for one reason only, because at the end of fall you get a massive pay out which I spend on wood from Robin and coal from Clint for building and crafting in winter before the price of resources go up at the beginning of year two. After year one I do not buy anymore rare seeds as I now have plenty of sheds with preserve jars and kegs to make a tidy sum every few days.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Bloody oath, I buy as many seeds from the travelling cart as I can in the first year, for one reason only, because at the end of fall you get a massive pay out which I spend on wood from Robin and coal from Clint for building and crafting in winter before the price of resources go up at the beginning of year two. After year one I do not buy anymore rare seeds as I now have plenty of sheds with preserve jars and kegs to make a tidy sum every few days.
I've been thinking about this strategy as Rare Seeds are very expensive for early game and spending on them for a big late Fall payout means fewer things to buy otherwise. Do you Fish or similar to grind for g to make up the difference or do you just accept that you may need to delay the Coop or Barn upgrades to finish the Community Center, for instance?

I've been thinking about this strategy as Rare Seeds are very expensive for early game and spending on them for a big late Fall payout means fewer things to buy otherwise. Do you Fish or similar to grind for g to make up the difference or do you just accept that you may need to delay the Coop or Barn upgrades to finish the Community Center, for instance?
Yep, this was my thought exactly for my own game. At the start I had too little income for this to be practical (was playing casually and not tying to min/max or anything). I decided I needed the gold for other things first, like upgrading tools, buildings to fulfill CC bundles etc., then later returning to this when it was more appropriate for my game. Though that's just a different prioritization, and everyone prioritizes differently to suit their own needs. 🙂 I find it interesting players did this early, might try it next time to see where I end up.