Any fish you can't catch?

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, guys... I have literally caught every fish a few times each. A lot of them are real pains in the @$$, not just the legendary ones. Scorpion carp and octopus are way up there, with lava eel, ice pip and lingcod rounding out the "official 5 hardest" according to the difficulty number. Thing is, different people have different skills when it comes to fishing... and me? I'm an expert at hooking those sinkers. Seriously, a sinker tries that sudden drop and hug the bottom thing? I don't need a lead bobber to help me with those guys.

The real problems are those described as "dart" or "mixed" behavior, and mixed only because it includes dart. (The other behaviors are "sinker", "smooth" and "floater".) Of the top 5, 4 are mixed or dart, and only the most difficult (officially) is a sinker. When we look at the legendary fish, the one with the lowest difficulty (less difficult, officially, than the top 5 non-legendary fish mentioned above, btw) I find to be harder to hook than the second least. The second least is smooth behavior while the least difficult is dart behavior. (The other 3 legendary are all mixed, fyi.)

Anyway... I am not a fan of the trap bobber, as many suggest. I prefer my cork bobber's +1 to fishing. Eventually, when you can enchant things, get the Master enchantment on your rod and that's another +1 to fishing. Suck down a seafoam pudding, +4 to fishing... and late game, it could be up to +5 to fishing. That's a total of +7 to fishing, potentially getting you up to 17 making your fishing bar just freaking huge, y'all. Who cares if they get away slower when outside the bar if the bar is so big they don't spend much time outside of the bar during the minigame?

Last edited:

Phate4569

Planter
Darts suck. ESPECIALLY on Switch.

Every now and then when fishing the game momentarily freezes, but action keeps happening. A few times I've had darters fail because of this, especially early in the catch before the progress bar is raised.

This is one of the reasons I prefer Trap.

Johndeere756

Planter
I didn't realize that seafoam pudding is +4. That would help big time! Ok, now I have to learn how to craft it, lol. I am really not that good at fishing, so I need all the help I can get.

Phate4569

Planter
I didn't realize that seafoam pudding is +4. That would help big time! Ok, now I have to learn how to craft it, lol. I am really not that good at fishing, so I need all the help I can get.
There are also three that raise it +3 which helps too.

Look here in the "foods" section:

Miretar

Planter
Here are some tips on catching the difficult fish. Try for them only on the days when the spirits are happy. Don’t bother trying on any other days. I use a lead sinker, an iridium rod and fish stew. I have caught every fish in the game game except for the super cucumber. (I haven’t tried for that one yet.)

imnvs

Local Legend
All you need to do to learn to cook it is to keep fishing, my friend. ☺ Simple.

After you learn the recipe... that's when it gets more complicated. 😳 The three ingredients are Flounder, Midnight Carp and Squid Ink. Both of the fish ingredients are somewhat restrictive fish to acquire in any quantity because of the time restraints placed on fishing them. The ink, on the other hand, is only available from monster drops (one particular monster that is not common really) or from fish ponds that contain squid or midnight squid (this is your better option). I usually get fish ponds for each... as in one for Flounder, one for Midnight Carp and one for Midnight Squid. Once they reach max capacity I can start taking a few flounder and carp occasionally for ingredients, and then let the fish pond refill itself. Meanwhile the squid are producing a lot more ink than I need to keep up with the fish pond fishing. I still save it because there's another cooking recipe that can use it... but eventually I'll get a surplus and sell some excess.

Last edited:

Johndeere756

Planter
All you need to do to learn to cook it is to keep fishing, my friend. ☺ Simple.

After you learn the recipe... that's when it gets more complicated. 😳 The three ingredients are Flounder, Midnight Carp and Squid Ink. Both of the fish ingredients are somewhat restrictive fish to acquire in any quantity because of the time restraints placed on fishing them. The ink, on the other hand, is only available from monster drops (one particular monster that is not common really) or from fish ponds that contain squid or midnight squid (this is your better option). I usually get fish ponds for each... as in one for Flounder, one for Midnight Carp and one for Midnight Squid. Once they reach max capacity I can start taking a few flounder and carp occasionally for ingredients, and then let the fish pond refill itself. Meanwhile the squid are producing a lot more ink than I need to keep up with the fish pond fishing. I still save it because there's another cooking recipe that can use it... but eventually I'll get a surplus and sell some excess.
That's great advice, thanks!

imnvs

Local Legend
Same, I also breed sea cucumbers for the Lucky Lunches.
Not a bad idea. I just recently started an eel pond for spicy eels too.

Also, you can install signs on fishing ponds. When you do, the sign auto-fills with a picture of the fish in that pond and gives a count for the number of fish. For any pond that I plan on fishing the fishes out of it after a time, I install a sign so I can see at a glance that they're full and ready for me to harvest.

Last edited:

Phate4569

Planter
Not a bad idea. I just recently started an eel pond for spicy eels too.

Also, you can install signs on fishing ponds. When you do, the sign auto-fills with a picture of the fish in that pond and gives a count for the number of fish. For any pond that I plan on fishing the fishes out of it after a time, I install a sign so I can see at a glance that they're full and ready for me to harvest.
I never really bothered with eels myself, the production vs. consumption rate was terrible. 6 crystalariums or so generate enough rubies to get enough spicy eel, then more drop during SC dives.

imnvs

Local Legend
I never really bothered with eels myself, the production vs. consumption rate was terrible. 6 crystalariums or so generate enough rubies to get enough spicy eel, then more drop during SC dives.
I hear what you're saying, but I'll eat a spicy eel and suck down a triple espresso every morning when I wake up so I can get my chores around the farm done faster. I go through them pretty quick, so I'm trying to speed up the process a little bit.

Johndeere756

Planter
I like the idea of a eel pond. Spicy eel really seems to last a long time, plus the luck bonus is nice. I always use it when I go to skull cavern, but haven't been able to make up enough rubies to use around the farm.

Phate4569

Planter
I hear what you're saying, but I'll eat a spicy eel and suck down a triple espresso every morning when I wake up so I can get my chores around the farm done faster. I go through them pretty quick, so I'm trying to speed up the process a little bit.
I know. I'm saying crystalarium is more efficient.

You need 2 spicy eels to last an entire day, 3 in Skull Cavern.

Eels reproduce at a rate of 1 every 3 days. Meaning you need 6-9 eel ponds just to keep up. Plus you also need hot peppers.

Crystalariums produce Rubies every 2 days (and 2 hours).
This means with 4 or 6 crystalariums, you can get just as many spicy eels at the Desert Trader.

Eel ponds aren't efficient.

Phate4569

Planter
So +4 Luck, +1 Speed? (Since speed nerf)

Try a gold Lucky Lunch and a Triple Shot. It uses less Qi Seasoning for the same result. Or on a Cavern Dive Day, Gold Pumpkin Soup and Tripple Shot. 1 less luck but more defense.

Mine are those dang tiger trout. I wanna put ten in a pond but the things rarely bite for me even at 10 fishing. It's not that it's hard it's just the rng does not like me too well. Infact the first time I have seen a prehistoric level was only a couple months ago and I have been playing since the Xbox one release

imnvs

Local Legend
Try a gold Lucky Lunch and a Triple Shot. It uses less Qi Seasoning for the same result.
See, the problem with the lucky lunch is much the same problem with my Spicy Eel. Sea cucumbers aren't available all year long... and I'm not big on fishing. I prefer fish that I'm going to cook with be regularly available, so I'd end up having a sea cucumber pond anyway.

Or on a Cavern Dive Day, Gold Pumpkin Soup and Tripple Shot. 1 less luck but more defense.
Oh, on cavern dive days... not a bad food combo there, but might I counter with Banana Pudding? Slightly less luck and defense than the Pumpkin Soup, but three buffs to be increased, and mining is useful in that situation when you don't have good clusters of rocks to bomb.

Also, to be honest and fair, when I'm indiscriminately eating gold quality food, it's really late game and at that point I'll have saved up a few Magic Rock Candy too, for when I want to go extra hard in the SC.