More marriageable older men

Tee

Greenhorn
I am a member of an older female player group; we've been playing for several years, and we were very excited about 1.5. But we were disappointed that more older characters weren't made available for marriage. We have only three basic choices: Harvey, Elliott, and Shane. It would be great to have more of the older single characters available, like Clint or Gus.

Norski

Farmhand
I am a member of an older female player group; we've been playing for several years, and we were very excited about 1.5. But we were disappointed that more older characters weren't made available for marriage. We have only three basic choices: Harvey, Elliott, and Shane. It would be great to have more of the older single characters available, like Clint or Gus.
Gus could totally be an option, but at the same time, I think the point is that he's kinda too old for the game's target audience.. which I agree with.. It could be very weird for younger players to be dating gus.. a like 40 year old bar guy..
Harvey is your best choice, unless you want to download the mod that lets you marry anyone... but idk why you would want to.. especially cause that probably means the bar won't be run by anyone o-o

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I posted a thread a while back about how I think the game could afford some alternative ways to get the "marriage" stardrop, seeing as it's required for 100% completion and many players who don't wanna marry probably don't want to have to marry and divorce an NPC just for the sake of 100% completion. Ideas I posted included single adoption and the addition of more marriage candidates, including options for older players. Someone in the thread posted an interesting proposition, that being an advanced game option to specify whether your character is younger or older. It would change how certain NPCs interact with your character, alter how some heart events play out, and change the marriage candidates available to your character. I think that'd be a great way to implement older marriage candidates as an option.

1FlyCat

Planter
Harvey is your best choice, unless you want to download the mod that lets you marry anyone... but idk why you would want to.. especially cause that probably means the bar won't be run by anyone
You would think, but Siv's Marriage Mod handles this:
Fully unique post-marriage schedules. Clint will run his shop, Gus will tend the bar, Lewis will check on businesses, Marnie will run the animal shop, Pam will drive the bus, and Willy will run the fishing shop. Not as often as before, but part-time!

Last edited:
I think adding Clint and Sandy as older bachleors/bachelorettes is a great idea!

MaidenOfGore

Farmhand
Not even gonna lie, I immediately fell for Linus and was sad when he wasn't eligible. He was my first 10 heart NPC. I'm 30 xD
I just love how pure his soul is. I ended up marrying the edgelord Sebastian :heart: :sebastian:

Fireflydrake

Farmhand
3 of 6 options are already older, which is fairly generous (most games you usually get one!) and, well, equal. I don't think you can justify more older guys without more younger ones too.

Anhaga

Rancher
Gus could totally be an option, but at the same time, I think the point is that he's kinda too old for the game's target audience.. which I agree with.. It could be very weird for younger players to be dating gus.. a like 40 year old bar guy..
What are you thinking the target audience is intended to be? The Farmer, after all, is clearly in their 30s, given the whole starting place (an office job like that that wears you down is the sort of thing we tend to get in our mid-20s and burn out on in our 30s). Given that, I always find the idea of romancing Sam, Alex, and Sebastian a little creepy . . . they're clearly in their early 20s and haven't even started careers yet, aside from Sebastian's freelancing, while the Farmer is on their midlife crisis career change! For those of us who are in our 40s, the Farmer's situation feels veerrrrry familiar. I'm 42 and just had my own big career change . . . if I had a farm to inherit, I'd be there! :smile:

Many of the candidates seem young, but time works differently in stardew valley. They all have birthdays each year, every 16 weeks, but they don't get older. I believe Abigail is the oldest since she seems to have known Mona, plus the fossilized bone flutes must be hers. I know it's not exactly what you meant, but you can just disregard everyone's age, they are all ageless & immortal just like you.

LRangerR

Local Legend
What are you thinking the target audience is intended to be? The Farmer, after all, is clearly in their 30s, given the whole starting place (an office job like that that wears you down is the sort of thing we tend to get in our mid-20s and burn out on in our 30s). Given that, I always find the idea of romancing Sam, Alex, and Sebastian a little creepy . . . they're clearly in their early 20s and haven't even started careers yet, aside from Sebastian's freelancing, while the Farmer is on their midlife crisis career change! For those of us who are in our 40s, the Farmer's situation feels veerrrrry familiar. I'm 42 and just had my own big career change . . . if I had a farm to inherit, I'd be there! :smile:
The farmer doesn't have a clear age set. Just because most people have a midlife crisis around that time doesn't mean that's how he is. You have to remember that we're also in an alternate reality. So it might be "creepy" to you, but that might just be you projecting. I get that a lot of people are uncomfortable with some of the romancing choices, but that's why there's (supposed to be) a variety. The "Marry Anyone Mod" might be a thing for you to look into, I know many ladies wouldn't complain if Marlon turned into a bachelor, no matter what their age is (i've heard it from a wide variety of ladies, which i find amusing, lol)

Anhaga

Rancher
So it might be "creepy" to you, but that might just be you projecting.
True, just as Gus being "too old for the target audience" could well be Norski projecting. I was responding to Norski's post, LRangerR, noting that any attempt to infer the SDV target audience is too young to find a character in his/her 40s romantically interesting was probably making an assumption about the target audience that may not hold. We clearly have quite a few players who are over the age of 35.

LRangerR

Local Legend
True, just as Gus being "too old for the target audience" could well be Norski projecting. I was responding to Norski's post, LRangerR, noting that any attempt to infer the SDV target audience is too young to find a character in his/her 40s romantically interesting was probably making an assumption about the target audience that may not hold. We clearly have quite a few players who are over the age of 35.
I personally don't think there is a target audience for Stardew. I think it's something that anybody can connect with, no matter their age. The only time people ever have an issue is when they start talking about the marriage candidates, which is something I tend to ignore because it's largely irrelevant to the enjoyment of the game as a whole.