1.5 Update Reactions Thread

My thoughts on the new mechanic found in the new dungeon in the new place, so spoilers!

Okay, so the Forge. It does a couple of things, both of which I like. To get there, you have to go through all ten floors of the new dungeon on the island. Once there, you can unlock a shortcut so you don't have to go through the dungeon each time.

The forge costs Cinder Shards to do things. You get these either by killing the flame dudes that fly around and use the Flying Eel logic (they hit relatively hard as well, be careful!) or from the new ore nodes found in this dungeon. I don't know if it is considered to be an ore or a gem for purposes of Mining Perk interactions, but I was getting 1-3 per node with Miner/Prospector.

First, it lets you combine the effects of two different rings. This lets you, effectively, have four rings equipped once it is done. It costs 20 Cinder Shards each, so that's a total of 40 to do it. If you put a combined ring in the forge, there IS an 'unforge' button, so it is apparently reversible. So if you ever wanted a ring that would combine the Iridium Band and, say, the Vampiric Ring... you can do precisely that.

Second is that it will let you put a gem into a weapon for additional benefit. The ones I've found so far are:

* Quartz, Fire Quartz, Pearl, Earth Stone, Ice Tear: No effect
* Rainbow Shard: It has a picture of a stardrop, and ??? next to it. It does something... different, and doesn't count as a 'forge'
* Diamond: 3 random forges. Could be good, could be bad, depending on the forges you get.
* Ruby: 10% more damage, it seems, judging from the damage increase on my Galaxy Hammer (70-90 went to 77-99)
* Emerald: +2 Speed
* Amethyst: +? Weight? When I put the Amethyst in, it shows the Weight stat is modified, however there seems to be a cap of +5 which the Galaxy Hammer already has
* Aquamarine: +3 Crit Chance
* Jade: +4 Crit Power
* Topaz: +1 Defense (did that bug get fixed in 1.5 where weapon-based defense didn't actually get factored in?)

You can have 3 forges on a weapon (at least on the Galaxy Hammer). Each forge costs 10 Cinder Shards except the Rainbow Shard which costs 20. However, the cost goes up for each modifier, being 15 for the second and presumably 20 for the third. You CAN stack modifiers, apparently.

At first glance, the most obvious 'win' is the Ruby. More damage is always going to be more better, and the Emerald isn't bad either. Diamond is basically a gamble, you never know what you are going to get, but it only costs one diamond and 10 cinder shards instead of whatever specific gems plus 30. I personally wouldn't both risking it, but YMMV. With how crits really don't do much in the game, Jade and Aquamarine seem to be traps. Amethyst is up in the air, weight can be useful in keeping things back, but if you already have a bunch of weight on your weapon, it might not do anything.

Also, the Prismatic Shard can apparently go on *ANY* tool, not just a weapon. Also, apparently the prismatic shard doesn't count as a forge, so you could in theory have three forges plus the Prismatic Shard. When I affixed it to my Galaxy Hammer, it gave the word 'Crusader' with no other indicator. I'm sure it has some sort of mechanical effect, I'm just not sure what at this point.

Last edited:

Shart

Planter
My thoughts on the new mechanic found in the new dungeon in the new place, so spoilers!

Okay, so the Forge. It does a couple of things, both of which I like. To get there, you have to go through all ten floors of the new dungeon on the island. Once there, you can unlock a shortcut so you don't have to go through the dungeon each time.

The forge costs Cinder Shards to do things. You get these either by killing the flame dudes that fly around and use the Flying Eel logic (they hit relatively hard as well, be careful!) or from the new ore nodes found in this dungeon. I don't know if it is considered to be an ore or a gem for purposes of Mining Perk interactions, but I was getting 1-3 per node with Miner/Prospector.

First, it lets you combine the effects of two different rings. This lets you, effectively, have four rings equipped once it is done. It costs 20 Cinder Shards each, so that's a total of 40 to do it. If you put a combined ring in the forge, there IS an 'unforge' button, so it is apparently reversible. So if you ever wanted a ring that would combine the Iridium Band and, say, the Vampiric Ring... you can do precisely that.

Second is that it will let you put a gem into a weapon for additional benefit. The ones I've found so far are:

* Quartz, Fire Quartz, Pearl, Earth Stone, Ice Tear: No effect
* Rainbow Shard: It has a picture of a stardrop, and ??? next to it. It does something... different, and doesn't count as a 'forge'
* Diamond: 3 random forges. Could be good, could be bad, depending on the forges you get.
* Ruby: 10% more damage, it seems, judging from the damage increase on my Galaxy Hammer (70-90 went to 77-99)
* Emerald: +2 Speed
* Amethyst: +? Weight? When I put the Amethyst in, it shows the Weight stat is modified, however there seems to be a cap of +5 which the Galaxy Hammer already has
* Aquamarine: +3 Crit Chance
* Jade: +4 Crit Power
* Topaz: +1 Defense (did that bug get fixed in 1.5 where weapon-based defense didn't actually get factored in?)

You can have 3 forges on a weapon (at least on the Galaxy Hammer). Each forge costs 10 Cinder Shards except the Rainbow Shard which costs 20.

At first glance, the most obvious 'win' is the Ruby. More damage is always going to be more better, and the Emerald isn't bad either. Diamond is basically a gamble, you never know what you are going to get, but it only costs one diamond and 10 cinder shards instead of whatever specific gems plus 30. I personally wouldn't both risking it, but YMMV. With how crits really don't do much in the game, Jade and Aquamarine seem to be traps. Amethyst is up in the air, weight can be useful in keeping things back, but if you already have a bunch of weight on your weapon, it might not do anything.

Also, the Prismatic Shard can apparently go on *ANY* tool, not just a weapon. Also, apparently the prismatic shard doesn't count as a forge, so you could in theory have three forges plus the Prismatic Shard. When I affixed it to my Galaxy Hammer, it gave the word 'Crusader' with no other indicator. I'm sure it has some sort of mechanical effect, I'm just not sure what at this point.
Hey, this page has the details on it:
It's amazing how quick it got updated. Thanks for confirming it too!

Odin

Staff member
When is the Xbox one 1.5 release date?
Early 2021 is all we know so far. From ConcernedApe:
It’s available right now on PC, and will come to consoles early next year. Mobile should follow later, but there’s no timeline yet.
Hey guys! I have a question. Do all the things that got updated/changed/added to the game apply to a farm that was made before the 1.5 update?
Yep! New content is always available for existing saves, with the exceptions of the new farm map and advanced game options that are available when starting a save.

El Ravager

Greenhorn
Anyone have tips yet on grinding for golden walnuts? After grabbing all the visible ones from trees/bushes, it seems like pretty slow going.

Shart

Planter
Anyone have tips yet on grinding for golden walnuts? After grabbing all the visible ones from trees/bushes, it seems like pretty slow going.
You have to farm, fish, mine, and complete mini quests/mini games.
I haven't found all yet, but it seems like concernedape intentionally scattered those all over the places.
He wants us to enjoy the full experience of the new island rather than grinding one thing and focus only on that one thing.

A Junimo

Planter
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhiannon

Farmer
So I've been on a SDV break for a while switching through all my regularly played games. Pulled up steam today to get into Fallout Shelter and a popup came that SDV was on sale and version 1.5 was available. Ok. Checked the update notes. What? All that and it wasn't considered 2.0? That's a TOOOON of new content! I may have to change my holiday gaming schedule! I wasn't even through all the PREVIOUS content!

ISSsloth

Farmer
Mahogany seeds are very pretty, but when I first found them I mistook them for feathersAlso, I feel that some special orders are too big for the amount of time given. (A THOUSAND stone in 6 days?!?!) I have 2 other questions as to when things will be unlocked/opened. (Willy's door and the boulders behind the railroad.) And the portable cooking fire maybe sell for way too much? I'm not complaining though, as I currently have about 20,000 more than before.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
(How do you make it so the spoiler is blurred out and not a big clunky box???
Highlight what you want blurred. Then you go to the "insert" menu and instead of select "Spoiler", you select "Inline Spoiler". It looks like this when you do it.

Anhaga

Rancher
EEEEEEEE! So much stuff. I'm really excited. I started a beach farm last night and honestly, I like it so far. We'll see how I feel about the sprinkler thing mentioned earlier.

I kept accidentally sitting on chairs last night while playing. That was a little weird--it's a problem I have while playing Animal Crossing NH, and felt very odd to have it in SDV as well.

Odin

Staff member
What about mobile versions? Android - stardew is not updated yet.
PC always receives updates first, after an update is complete, ConcernedApe sends the update to the companies that handle the console and mobile ports. Generally the console versions are ready a bit sooner, but we don't know exactly when console or mobile will get the 1.5 update.
Aaand, where is coop at android? May somebody tell me please?
Mobile is unlikely to get multiplayer.

larshal

Newcomer
Does anyone have an idea what's going on with the big rock in front of the stairs by the railroad? :0

SirTooti

Tiller
i dont know what should happen when i upgrade community center, i paid 300k gold and i pass a lot of days and no one did nothing

imnvs

Local Legend
i dont know what should happen when i upgrade community center, i paid 300k gold and i pass a lot of days and no one did nothing
Community upgrade. New shortcuts like from Backwoods to Bus Stop, Leah's to the Beach, Museum to Beach and Mountain Lake Island to Adventurer's Guild.