what's something you do in game that is considered almost criminal by other players?

ISSsloth

Farmer
I guess mine would be that riverlands is my favorite of the vanilla farm maps. I like how easy it is to just clear one island of debris at a time, and it makes it so much easier to organize as well. The fish smoker also seems to be a big moneymaker for people who like to fish a lot (as I've read, my riverlands save came much before 1.6, so I don't have one just yet.)

I've spent by far the most time on the riverlands farm, so I don't even know where to start organizing on most more open maps. The only other farm I think I'd be comfortable on is 4 corners. I'm using a modded 4 corners map for my newest playthrough, so I guess I'll see how I like it.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I've seen other players sell the parsnip seeds to invest more in cauliflower, but doesn't that slow down Farming progress? Also, by basic sprinklers do you mean basic-basic sprinklers or the improved ones? I never build basic sprinklers, just go straight for improved ones.
I usually sell them and don’t buy any crops.

Early on time and especially energy are their most precious, it’s more valuable to spend them doing stuff that’s more impactful like fishing or mining rather than wasting them to get level 1 farming.

If I want a large crop field later on I’ll wait until I get a profitable crop (often basically not planting anything but xp crops until summer). I’ll plant a few crops for level 2 then just use basic sprinklers to gain levels, I usually only need level 6 or 8 by summer so that’s barely a hundred crops.

And yeah I do mean the most basic of sprinklers, they’re actually incredibly good for how early you get them, even if you just use them to advance your farming xp for free. Better than using your time and energy when a day of mining buys 10x its worth in watering.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yes, I almost never change over to Iridium Sprinklers as the few extra tiles aren't worth the cost or hassle to redesign. I end up with a few of them though from Skull Cavern Treasure Rooms and you get one or 2 elsewhere in the game I think? I'll reorg my Greenhouse for those as they come in but not always. They get dumped to Ginger to be surrounded my Mixed Seeds.
Exactly! The greenhouse and gi are the only places I put the straggler ones I get because why not if you have them, I just don’t craft ‘em.

Draconifors

Planter
I thought of two fishing things that are related: I never buy a fishing rod, and I never use the basic 'Bait' except in crab pots (it's the only bait I use for those).

I always use the bamboo pole until I get the Advanced Iridium Rod, and fishing mastery is not the first one I unlock. I only start using Deluxe Bait once I have that pole and a Deluxe Worm Bin. The other baits I have yet to use.

(All this despite the fact I enjoy fishing and spend a lot of time doing it.)

I usually sell them and don’t buy any crops.

Early on time and especially energy are their most precious, it’s more valuable to spend them doing stuff that’s more impactful like fishing or mining rather than wasting them to get level 1 farming.

If I want a large crop field later on I’ll wait until I get a profitable crop (often basically not planting anything but xp crops until summer). I’ll plant a few crops for level 2 then just use basic sprinklers to gain levels, I usually only need level 6 or 8 by summer so that’s barely a hundred crops.

And yeah I do mean the most basic of sprinklers, they’re actually incredibly good for how early you get them, even if you just use them to advance your farming xp for free. Better than using your time and energy when a day of mining buys 10x its worth in watering.
Innnteresting. Are there any YTers who have tried this approach? Very tempted to start a new save and try myself.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Innnteresting. Are there any YTers who have tried this approach? Very tempted to start a new save and try myself.
I've heard a few times (probably here tho) that it's easier to sell the Parsnip seeds and buy Caulis or Seeds for the Community Center bundles. The in-game tradeoffs are: Parsnips give more Farming XP per g spent while Caulis waste less time managing and sell for more g.

Finally, someone who agrees with me.
I also hate mushrooms irl so I never do them.
I always choose the Fruit Bats as Fruit Trees are more expensive than upgrading the Axe. Also I prefer the game's built-in cheat: Forest Farm. Get all the Mushrooms and Hardwood you want and skip the Secret Woods. There's a reason I always forget to see the Traveling Cart Lady: I avoid the Wizard and ignore the Woods.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Just out of curiousity, how much G do you get from selling the Snips?
It's like 10g or something tiny like that but you can buy almost 2 (!) Cauliflower Seeds with 150g. The problem is you don't reap the g benefits when selling the Parsnip Seeds as they'll make you more g by just planting them, but for some it's better to have 8 Caulis in the ground than 15 Parsnips plus CC bundle veggies with the rest in Caulis (the latter being my standard starting setup). It's better for g later on when buying seeds to get the Caulis instead of anything else, at the expense of some Farming XP.

atraceofgrace

Greenhorn
I married Harvey.
My logic was he seemed to be the least needy and seemed pretty content with his own company because I don't have time to talk to my spouse. I have 'farming' to do.

I'm on year 10 of my one and only Stardew save and I have done about 5% farm decoration. I'm currently in the process of trying to fix that though - I thought I'd start off small by starting on the inside of the farmhouse first. I'm trying to get it as close to Croft Manor from Tomb Raider as possible. Some areas aren't finished though like the fish tank area and the dining room. I'm really proud of my walk-in wardrobe area to the south!
Lara_6-26-2024_27942580.png

20240626084642_1.jpg

I've named my fairy Winston because she follows me everywhere I go.

I'm waiting for ConcernedApe to give us a hedge fence item so I can make a hedge maze around Grandpa's Shrine.

I'm waiting for ConcernedApe to give us a hedge fence item so I can make a hedge maze around Grandpa's Shrine.
Have you tried using tea bushes?
Also, the walk-in closet is awesome. I might use something similar for the tailor's shop on my Raccoon City farm. I'm been trying to figure out some sort of display besides just a bunch of dressers with signs next to them.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Just out of curiousity, how much G do you get from selling the Snips?
it's only 150g in total but that's only a couple hundred less than what you get planting and wasting half your early game energy on

To me it's 150g closer to a backpack or fiberglass rod which is a decent little help, especially since I have the extra time and energy day one to spend around the valley as opposed to planting and watering