Max sale/money

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
52A1A3AC-A5CC-44E5-A590-19B4483C41A3.png
A3E10978-FA79-4DBE-B4E3-06B8223F4FF9.png

the title pretty much says it all, it’s the maximum money possible made in a single sale, pretty much making it the biggest practical sale, you can sell more stuff but you’ll never make more money.

another side benefit is I am no longer in soul crushing debt but now have highly illegal loans I need to return.

I made a YouTube video showing the sale so check it out if you want to see the absurdities of the moving numbers.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Ah, got it. Is that a bug in the display/how the game saves income and earnings?
It's the 32-bit number limit where you have 4,294,967,296 total values, usually encoded in a game or elsewhere as spanning the values -2,147,483,647 to 2,147,483,647 (note his Current Funds number). When you roll over the 2,147,483,647 limit, the numbers start counting up from -2,147,483,647 again, hence the comment about 'loans'! :happy:

You could call it a bug as CA could have used a 48 or 64 bit number to encode your total g but really. Nobody's ever gonna want to make more than a cool 2 Billion in-game are they?

Are they???

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Ah, got it. Is that a bug in the display/how the game saves income and earnings?
Lew already gave a good explanation but I thought I would add a bit for clarity.
32 but systems use ~2.147 billion to ~-2.147 billion instead of the 4.3~ billion because it acts as a sort of fail safe.
If a number goes over that limit then instead of overloading the system it just reverts to the opposite end like a loop and doesn’t cause any processing lag as the system only has to change one symbol, the first 1/0 which determines whether the number is positive or negative.

That’s why the number isn’t 2^32 but 2^31 with the first but obviously deciding if the number is above or below 0 on a linear number line.

I think this is mostly just a feature still remaining from when computers were a lot more primitive and couldn’t process (or something) the changes in all the bits (or the rollover wasn’t possible without) but has been adapted around a lot and is here to stay, albeit now in more powerful systems like 64bit, etc.

Jayamos

Farmer
I was around in those days! Fortunately not programming anything where that kind of overflow was a problem, nor forced to learn assembly language, but that first-bit workaround is almost a piece of nostalgia.